ECN Forum
Posted By: mostwanted any engineers around here? - 12/12/03 07:21 PM
I would like to know how much school you have to go thru to get a engineering degree. I won't ask what engineers are responisble for because it seems like too general of a question. I would guess what job or company you worked for would more or less determine your responsibilities.
Posted By: Ron Re: any engineers around here? - 12/12/03 07:37 PM
Most engineering degrees (bachelor of science or bachelor of engineering) are 4 years after completing high school, some are 5 years.
To be called a "professional engineer" in terms of the states requirements, there is no additional formal education needed, just years of experience and taking two 8 hour long tests.

[This message has been edited by Ron (edited 12-12-2003).]
Posted By: maintenanceguy Re: any engineers around here? - 12/13/03 02:14 AM
A Bachelors in Engineering is a 4 year program. But often completed in just over 4 years because the coursework is tough and it usually requires more college credits than most bachelor degrees.

To be a licensed professional engineer (PE) typically requires 5 years as an Engineer in Training (EIT) after you graduate and then passing the exam.

The jobs held by engineers are so varied I couldn't possibly list them all. And most of the jobs engneers hold have very little to do with what they learned in college.
Posted By: smokeeater 38 Re: any engineers around here? - 12/20/03 03:00 AM
My engineer friends all got 4 year degrees in just under 5 years. This was with some summer classes also.

2 are electrical’s
1 is a mechanical
1 of the EE’s has an engineering administration miner also this took about another year.
© ECN Electrical Forums