ECN Forum
Posted By: Tim Peters sizing nuetral for M.C.C. - 10/26/03 05:14 PM
I have a MCC feeding a 600 amp 277/480 4 wire MCC. I'm using parallel 500mcm for the phases but there is no actuall load on the neutral so can I get away with no neutral? My concern is that the blue prints list it as 4 wire so do you think they want a neutral pulled for future use maybee?

Any info appreciated.
Posted By: nesparky Re: sizing nuetral for M.C.C. - 10/27/03 04:39 AM
Tim
Where is this MCC getting it's control power from?
If the plans and specs call out 4 wire, I would install a full size neutral. You cannot know what is planned for the future unless all the MCC buckets are used now.
Posted By: iwire Re: sizing nuetral for M.C.C. - 10/27/03 10:32 AM
If the plans called for a four wire feeder to this MCC and you bid it and won it with that requirement you should install it.

Putting aside that it is the right thing to do, if after you leave the job they need that neutral who do you think will pay for it to be installed?
Posted By: Tim Peters Re: sizing nuetral for M.C.C. - 10/28/03 02:13 AM
One bucket of the mcc is feeding a transformer which in turn id feeding a 120/208 panel. This panel is feeding two controll panels for all my controll wiring.
Each bucket of the mcc has a TRF for the coils within it.

I did not bid the job but the nuetral was included in the bid so IMO it should be included but my superiors think different.

This post is mostly meant to justify my thinking, I wanted to make sure I wasnt missing something.
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: sizing nuetral for M.C.C. - 10/28/03 02:19 AM
I would send an RFI to the engineer and get a CCD on paper to cover your back.
Posted By: zapped208 Re: sizing nuetral for M.C.C. - 10/28/03 11:05 AM
Tim,- Was an equip. gnd. pulled in?, since someone is trying to cut corners on your job?
Posted By: Tim Peters Re: sizing nuetral for M.C.C. - 10/28/03 09:36 PM
Yes a equipment ground will be pulled in
Posted By: Pinemarten Re: sizing nuetral for M.C.C. - 10/29/03 02:40 AM
I feel it is up to the owner.
Now cost vs. later. Explain the cost at a later date.
If he wants to save money at this point, he may want to.
I also agree with paper from the engineer, CYA.
© ECN Electrical Forums