ECN Forum
Posted By: sparked Masonite boxes - 09/24/03 08:40 PM
Does anybody know if device boxes of masonite are still made? They were used here for a while, mainly as old work boxes, but I've found the holes will strip if you tighten them too far. There seem to be better options nowadays, like plastic boxes with those wings that pop up and tighten as you tighten a screw. If they still do exist, do you use them?
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Masonite boxes - 09/24/03 09:06 PM
Isn't Masonite used normally to make cabinet backs for speakers and also the material for clipboards?

Doesn't that stuff catch fire?

It's essentially a very very heavy cardboard, right?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Masonite boxes - 09/25/03 12:39 AM
I think he means Bakelite. I don't think they are still made. They were early attempts at plastic.
Brian
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Masonite boxes - 09/25/03 12:48 AM
I was thinking they were some type of Fiberglass.
Does anybody know for sure?

Bill
Posted By: Electric Eagle Re: Masonite boxes - 09/25/03 01:15 AM
Are you talking about those brownish-green boxes. If so they, they like a bakelite plastic with fiber reinforcing. and yes, they still make them.
Posted By: sparked Re: Masonite boxes - 09/25/03 01:26 AM
Electric Eagle, your description sounds right, thanks. Does anybody still use them?
Posted By: Electric Eagle Re: Masonite boxes - 09/25/03 02:25 AM
The round pop-ins we use are like that, but all our other boxes are gray plastic. I went to my truck and found one, it's made by T&B and I think the model number is 3080.
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Masonite boxes - 09/25/03 02:54 AM
See: http://tnbelectricalworld.tnb.com/contractor/docs/union.pdf

They are "Union-brand reinforced-phenolic wall boxes"
as opposed to thermoplastic boxes.

Originally, the manufacturer called themselves Union Insulating Co.

I agree that “masonite” is a composite wood-fiber material, and likely flammable as most other lumber. It’s probably not intended for electrical enclosures.
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Masonite boxes - 09/26/03 09:57 AM
J-U-N-K!
© ECN Electrical Forums