ECN Forum
Posted By: acetoday Flourescent Lighting - 09/18/03 08:44 PM
The lights I installed were the inexpensive one's (one t-8 tube) each. I informed the customer that it probably just needed to warm up, but that I would check it out.

Thanks to all who responded. I was more concerned that it may have been due to voltage drop.

Thanks again,
Bob

[This message has been edited by acetoday (edited 09-18-2003).]
Posted By: triple Re: Flourescent Lighting - 09/18/03 09:44 PM
Voltage drop in that #12 is not a problem for the couple of amps those lights are drawing. Are those the cheepo fluorescents with the cylindrical starters protruding through the housing? If so, I would guess that the starter is shot. Fluorescents with bad starters (or even bad ballasts) will often still light when everything is warm (fresh from a hot work van) but may not want to relight after a cool down period. However, if both lights are doing the same thing then it seems unlikely that both starters/ballasts came bad from the factory.
Posted By: dougwells Re: Flourescent Lighting - 09/18/03 09:53 PM
Would the temperature of the area they are lighting be to cold ?
Posted By: straightedge Re: Flourescent Lighting - 09/18/03 10:20 PM
You also have to make sure you are using the right type of lamp for the fixture.

Check the ballast to see if it takes a T-12 (fat lamp) or a T-8 (thin lamp).

That makes a big difference. If you try to put a T-12 lamp in a light with a ballast made for T-8 lamps then the light will not work properly.

Tev
© ECN Electrical Forums