ECN Forum
Posted By: gunther Sidecutters as Strippers - 09/18/03 09:16 AM
A lot of residential wireman in this area use their sidecutters as strippers, even though they do not have a manufactured stripping hole in them. I maintain that these pliers are neither designed or rated for stripping wire and it is far too easy to nick the wire. I have heard reports that they are ordered to do this because it is faster, and I actually saw one of those home remodel tv shows where the EC on the job was demonstrating stripping wires and making joints by this method. Any comments, or do you think, as someone said when I questioned them about it that "you don't know what you are talking about"?
Posted By: zapped208 Re: Sidecutters as Strippers - 09/18/03 10:10 AM
I have been doing It this way for 25 years! I do own a pair of T strippers though,less tools to carry!
Posted By: George Corron Re: Sidecutters as Strippers - 09/18/03 11:26 AM
Been doing it that way for over 30 years. Course, that don't make it right.

I hate to admit to this, but the only time it was wrong was when we used aluminum or copper clad conductors, it weakens the conductor pretty badly.

I've had to administer/inspect/engineer some highly technical large scale projects and have done some fairly extensive research into this practice. I could find no definitive evidence that this was harmful, at least to copper conductors. If the guys are comfortable doing it this way, I see no reason to alter their practice, like we said, it's been done that way a very long time.
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Sidecutters as Strippers - 09/18/03 07:14 PM
Oh great now I have to worry about violating the rating of my tools. As someone said "You don't know what your talkking about!" I am guessing you don't work in the trade.
Posted By: iwire Re: Sidecutters as Strippers - 09/18/03 07:38 PM
Wow! I have been doing it wrong for 20 years. [Linked Image]

It is very easy to strip the wire with side cutters without nicking the conductor.

Not one of the 200+ guys in the company I work for uses "offical" wire strippers for normal day to day work.

Bob
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Sidecutters as Strippers - 09/18/03 09:09 PM
I've got a T-Stripper for stranded wire. You have to be careful with those because the slightest amount of excessive pressure or force when pulling and you'll nick a few strands of the conductor.

And yes, I AM using the right holes for the gauge of wire I'm stripping!

Is this normal or is my stripper defective? [Linked Image]

I'm thinking of getting one of those good automatic ones....I bought one at a dollar store (of all places) and amazingly, it strips any type of wire, without nicking it!!!!! WOW!!

I've mastered the art of stripping stranded wire using a very sharp razor blade. You bend the wire at the point you want to cut and then just apply pressure with the sharp blade. You don't even have to slice. Just touch it and it splits at the point!!!

Do it all around, taking your time and then pull off the cut piece gently.

I have to do this becasue my T-Stripper only goes up to like 16 Gauge wire and does me no good when I'm prepping 12 gauge or 14 gauge SJ cord for making the occasional extension cord or when I'm stripping VERY fine wire inside some piece of electronics and can't quite go in there with the T. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 09-18-2003).]
Posted By: Sandro Re: Sidecutters as Strippers - 09/18/03 09:58 PM
The Yellow T strippers are for solid wire, and the Red T strippers are for stranded.

Makes a big difference!
Posted By: CTwireman Re: Sidecutters as Strippers - 09/18/03 10:11 PM
I hate using sidecutters to strip wire. I would much rather use my lightweight t-strippers than heavy pliers - much less wrist fatigue. T-strippers do a better job anyway.

[This message has been edited by CTwireman (edited 09-18-2003).]
Posted By: gunther Re: Sidecutters as Strippers - 09/19/03 12:03 AM
Thanks for the input and replies, and I believe in being respectful about others opinions even if I don't agree with them. By the way, Scott, your guess would be wrong. I went through a four year IBEW inside wireman electrical apprenticeship and have been in the trade for close to 25 years, and have a master's license. I hadn't planned on giving my personal history, just thought this might be a forum for tradesmen to respectfully share experiences and opinions in a "workmanlike manner". You still haven't persuaded me to give up the opinion that you should use the proper tool to do the job.
Posted By: LK Re: Sidecutters as Strippers - 09/19/03 12:30 AM
All we had was an electricians knife and linemans pliers. Oh' , and friction tape.
I showed up at a job with wire strippers and the guys asked me if I was going to build a radio or work on the job.
The good old days.

[This message has been edited by LK (edited 09-18-2003).]
Posted By: frank Re: Sidecutters as Strippers - 09/19/03 12:32 AM
If i'm doing machine build i use t-strippers because they do a better job for terminal strips and you have a 1000 plus termanations to make and only use a screwdiver and stripper once everything is mounted .For construction i use side cutters,needle nose or diagnal cutters.Strippers are a one use tool and either i lose them or can't find them fast enough.The trick is not to cut the insulation but to crease it and pull it apart.I never nic the wire that way.

[This message has been edited by frank (edited 09-18-2003).]
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Sidecutters as Strippers - 09/19/03 12:35 AM
Did I mention I also strip the romex jacket this way! [Linked Image]
Posted By: LK Re: Sidecutters as Strippers - 09/19/03 12:41 AM
Frank,
That's the way to do it.
Posted By: frank Re: Sidecutters as Strippers - 09/19/03 12:42 AM
Hey I have a new pair of after factory kleins with a #12 hole I made with a hot pice of BX a few years ago.Can't use them though cause I still get mad.
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Sidecutters as Strippers - 09/19/03 12:59 AM
Maybe I shouldn't speak since those of you who have been in the trade 25 years have been in the trade longer than I've been alive. I am a big fan of Ideal super-T strippers...after I throw the spring away and hacksaw off the part that the spring clips to. It used to drive me nuts watching the older people I worked with use linesman's to strip, but then again I never had to troubleshoot their work because they never had any problems.
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Sidecutters as Strippers - 09/19/03 02:02 AM
Sandro wrote:
The Yellow T strippers are for solid wire, and the Red T strippers are for stranded.

Correct. I have both (should have stated that in the beginning). Obviously the red one gets the most use because I deal with a lot of stranded wire. The yellow one gets pulled out every few months....at most. [Linked Image]
Posted By: u2slow Re: Sidecutters as Strippers - 09/19/03 03:55 AM
Yellow T-strippers are a permanent fixture in my bib overalls. Its what I use on odd-jobs, or when I'm one of six guys splicing for a whole day.

I have used my lineman's for stripping, but its a freak occurence - usually if I've misplaced my T-strippers. Also see the foremen do it too... since they never have tools on them, and use whatever they can borrow. Classic case of do as I say, not as I do. [Linked Image]
Posted By: pauluk Re: Sidecutters as Strippers - 09/19/03 10:11 AM
Like Sven, I work a lot on radio and electronic equipment, and use various types of wirestrippers. I have side and end-action strippers, and several pairs of the automatic types and use them as the mood takes me. Sometimes when trying to strip a wire in an awkwartd corner one typoe wins over another on ease of access.

When it comes to house wiring, I have to confess to using side cutters sometimes.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Sidecutters as Strippers - 09/20/03 05:26 AM
I've always used side-cutters to strip wires.
Having said that, when I am working on a new switchboard with lots of wires, I normally use pliers to strip and twist the wires, saves time changing tools. [Linked Image]
Posted By: old Appy Re: Sidecutters as Strippers - 09/20/03 06:00 AM
I use Channelock pliers for the lot, every now and then i might use my pair of Klien side cutters but not often.

A pair of Channelocks last me less than 6 months.

Craig
Posted By: gunther Re: Sidecutters as Strippers - 09/20/03 06:33 AM
I emailed the Klein company and recieved a phone call yesterday from one of their representatives. He was surprised that anyone was using sidecutters like this and was of the opinion that the proper tool should be used for the job. On the other hand, I spoke with a local inspector who admitted that he had done this before and said that he wouldn't tell someone how to use their tools, but said that one mistake would be too many. The reason I am of the opinion that this practice is wrong is because of having worked with someone who did it and when I went behind him in a j-box and pulled out a joint, one of the wires in a wire nut broke off. I will not allow this practice on any job I am responsible for and know that it wouldn't be allowed on most of the jobs I have been on. It seems to me the main proponents are residential electricians and not commercial.
Posted By: frank Re: Sidecutters as Strippers - 09/20/03 10:37 AM
I may only do one or two machine build projects a year anymore but they all use those cheap five dollar strippers that only have one V shaped hole.If you ask me these strippers can a alot of the time do a worse job than side cutters ect.I have yet to see pair of T-Strippers in a machine shop.I think in the end it boils down to the amount of expertice you have with the tools that you use.Some guys will still hack the crap out of wire with the proper tool while others will not with any tool.As for the Klein rep he must be new because most of the older guys have been doing it for decades and are the first to complain when a job is being done in a sub-standard way.In the end you need to use what works best for you.

[This message has been edited by frank (edited 09-20-2003).]

[This message has been edited by frank (edited 09-20-2003).]
Posted By: electure Re: Sidecutters as Strippers - 09/20/03 11:28 AM
I guess I'm greatly outnumbered!
I've been using strippers for >30 yrs, and the T-strippers since I first saw them on the market.
The only time I use a pair of side cutters or diagonals are in a pinch, when my beloved strippers aren't close at hand (very rarely).
I replace the strippers as soon as they begin to get dull.
(No, I don't knick the heck out of wires) [Linked Image]
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Sidecutters as Strippers - 09/20/03 11:32 AM
Ok gunther I see your agenda clearly now. You have a problem with "residential" electricians. Whatever that means. Well hold on to your hat buddy 'cause here comes another bombshell. I use my screwdriver as a chisel!
Posted By: ga.sparky56 Re: Sidecutters as Strippers - 09/20/03 12:23 PM
I use my sidecutters for strippers sometimes when making up switches. Usually use strippers on a panel.

Sidecutters will also drive staples and nails. [Linked Image]
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: Sidecutters as Strippers - 09/20/03 01:55 PM
gunther,
He was surprised that anyone was using sidecutters like this and was of the opinion that the proper tool should be used for the job.
What would you expect a guy from a company that sells both sidecuts and strippers to say? You think he'd say that you only need to buy one tool?
I see no problem using the sidecuts to strip wire. Just because you use a stripper, doesn't mean that you won't damage the wire. It is all a matter of knowing how to ues your tools. Many electricians who twist the wires before installing the wirenut will use their sidecuts to strip the wire and then use the same tool to twist them together.
Don
Posted By: gunther Re: Sidecutters as Strippers - 09/20/03 01:59 PM
Electricman, If I would define my "agenda" it would be to discuss what I consider is a controversial practice in an honorable trade. IMO there is a big difference between using your screwdriver as a chisel or your kleins as a hammer and , for instance, teaching a greenie to do something that may cause problems until he gets the feel or experience to do in a "correct" manner. It seems that the emphasis seems to be on the speed of doing a job rather than the craftsmenship and quality that goes into it. I have done and continue to do residential work myself, so your theory is wrong. If you want to know what I think about something all you have to do is ask rather than to assume.
Posted By: PCBelarge Re: Sidecutters as Strippers - 09/20/03 02:56 PM
To lighten this up a little!

In my first apprentice class, we discussed tool safety and ladder safety. They instructed us to not use the screwdriver as a chisel or prybar, and to not use the sidecutters as a hammer or wire stripper. The next day on the job that was totally ignored.

I myself use the separate strippers and have found that when I do use my sidecutters that it is physically more difficult.
There is almost always a proper tool for the proper job, but I do have this to say. There are some who have been taught to use their sidecutters for stripping wire and they are very good at it. They have developed a 'feel' for it and to ask them to change after years of practice is not going to cut it (no pun intended).
The moral of this story is; depending on how you have been taught is how you will do it, and if you are doing it properly either way so be it!

BTW - I agree with the original poster in that this can be a friendly thread, he was just wondering what others do.
Pierre
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Sidecutters as Strippers - 09/20/03 03:43 PM
Pierre,

Well said. I was trying to formulate a similar reply.

Gunther,

First: Welcome to ECN.

I have always used a stripper except in odd situations where it is not readily available. I've never gotten used to using anything else. I know people that don't always use a stripper and have never seen a problem with their work.

What does everyone think about sidecutter stripping being shown on a Home TV show?

Bill
Posted By: elektrikguy Re: Sidecutters as Strippers - 09/20/03 03:46 PM
I carry Ideal T-Strippers in pouch at all times. When setting up wire pulls of solid wire it is invaluable to strip longer lengths to be able to stagger heads of sets. Also, when putting on recptacles and switches and the circuit is on it is 100 times easier to strip the end of the wire to attach to the terminal. One squeeze and pull is all it takes. I remember coming home years ago after making what seemed to be 1000's of joints and my thumb was sore for days from pushing insulation off wire with linesman pliers. To each his own, but like they say "There is a proper tool for every job"
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Sidecutters as Strippers - 09/20/03 03:58 PM
Bill,
Us guys using side-cutters as strippers is one thing, a DIY-type person doing the same thing with the same tool, is another.
We use the same tools, day in, day out and are used to how these tools work.
The problem with nicked and broken wires, is a wholly understated thing, where you and I would cut the end off the wire and start again (If we did happen to nick a wire strand!), this is often not the case with the DIY person, as in, near enough is good enough.
This line of thinking, burns houses down. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Sidecutters as Strippers - 09/20/03 04:03 PM
Gunther,
My Klien sideys don't have a stripping notch in them either, I just know the RIGHT amount of pressure to put on them to strip a given wire!.
Experience tells me this. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Scott35 Re: Sidecutters as Strippers - 09/20/03 11:24 PM
Have used T-Strippers for the >20 years of Field work (Ideal's Yellow handle type for #18 to #10 - and newer includes #8, and the Red handle type for #24 to #18).

Also have seen others use Sidecutters, etc. without any damage to the Conductors - and with equal ease and speed.

To me, if the Installer is confortable with a given method and it does not cause damage to the Conductors, there's no reason for me to demand a change.

Now, if the Installer is knicking the Conductor using either stripping method (strippers or cutters), then we have a problem which must be rectified!

As to the DIY shows demonstrating stripping methods to the General Public via Sidecutters, that's really uncalled for!
It takes practice and a learned "feel" to strip wire - even using designed Strippers!

I feel the DIY shows should push more towards doing the best job possible, in order to pass on a more "pride full" installation idea to the DIY'ers, but that's probably a pipe dream!
My Wife watches some of the popular DIY shows, and the stuff I see and hear really makes me angry!
Have enough fuel to fire off many, many threads of the subject matter, just from the past week of being home and the DIY shows on in the background.

??? How did I twist this topic into a DIY show tirade??? [Linked Image]

Anyhow, I use T-Strippers, but if others use alternate tools for stripping small gauge Conductors (excluding skilsaws and routers [Linked Image]..), and they are getting good results, that's cool with me! [Linked Image]
I have tried stripping with cutters, but it felt unnatural - plus took me for ever to ruin a piece of #12 Solid! - so I choose to use Strippers.

Like one of the members mentioned (I think it was Ryan_J), after the spring is taken out and thrown as far away as possible, then the hacksaw removes those two finger pinching clips which held the spring, the T-Strippers are very sweet! [Linked Image]

Also have used the "Automatic" stripper (the strip and slide thingees). It was nice for some limited stuff - such as stripping for device terminations, but after much usage the stripper fell apart! That, and it weighed about 10 times as much as basic strippers, so it never caught on for me.
I see others using these with success, and that's good!

Scott35

P.S. Although I do not use Screwdrivers as Cold Chisles, I do have a certain "'Big Bertha" Klien straight blade screwdriver that has only turned 2 or 3 screws in it's lifetime! It works great for prying up Walkerduct J-Box covers, removing caps in Walkerduct, and similar stuff.

Oh, and I am a "Die-Hard Pretwister", which has resulted in a shiny Copper coating on the grip faces of my Linemans' pliers!

S.E.T.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Sidecutters as Strippers - 09/21/03 02:15 AM
Scott35,
Oh, and I am a "Die-Hard Pretwister", which has resulted in a shiny Copper coating on the grip faces of my Linemans' pliers!
You too?!, How do you get that stuff off?.
I twist a lot of hard-drawn copper with my Kliens and some sparkies comment that they look like they are copper plated!. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Sidecutters as Strippers - 09/21/03 05:06 AM
Scott: I knew I couldn't be the only one that does that (with the spring and hacksaw). The people I worked with took one look at my "hacked-up" strippers and shook their head in disbelief, but they strip very well and very fast, don't they?
Posted By: old Appy Re: Sidecutters as Strippers - 09/21/03 07:21 AM
My Kliens have a stripping hole in them ..
Bang!!!! oh look a nice hole for stripping cable.

My Pliers are good for the job and work just fine thanks.

Now if i had to make up boards or cabinets all day i would use my stripper, after a good spray with multi, they do not fit on my belt and are resigned to a bucket in my Ute along with just about everything else i have just had to buy because someone told me i needed to.
CW
Posted By: sparky Re: Sidecutters as Strippers - 09/21/03 11:02 AM
i had met an industrial engineer once , who worked for McDonalds, while wiring a drive thru.

they actually calculate the amount of human movement necessary to accomplish any given task

the concept can be applied to our toolage as well

a good focus would be something repetitive, as in making up boxes...
Posted By: PCBelarge Re: Sidecutters as Strippers - 09/21/03 12:07 PM
I use a lot of tails, and we make them up ourselves. We use the tool that cuts and strips in one squeeze of the hand. These are a big help in fatigue and time. My ex partner used sidecutters and has been doing so for 30 yrs. He is one of the best mechanics I have ever worked with, but he has problems with his hand now. That in itself might be a good reason for changing over to the strippers.

Pierre
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: Sidecutters as Strippers - 09/21/03 12:21 PM
I recall reading that the first wire stripper was invented by accident--one involving a bang, some sparks and a notch in the pliers. (I think it's in the literature from Ideal somewhere...)

Trumpy: Try scraping off the copper with your screwdriver-chisel [Linked Image]
Posted By: iwire Re: Sidecutters as Strippers - 09/21/03 01:31 PM
I emailed the Klein company and recieved a phone call yesterday from one of their representatives. He was surprised that anyone was using sidecutters like this and was of the opinion that the proper tool should be used for the job.

No disrespect intended here but what else would they say.

They are in the business of selling tools after all. [Linked Image]

I am sure they would like to sell me a KO remover so I will not use my screwdriver and side cutters to do the same.

Bob
Posted By: LK Re: Sidecutters as Strippers - 09/21/03 07:53 PM
Gunther,

If you want to see production wireman, not electricians work, then you will see why they call them hatchet men. They cut the cable with a hatchet, strip down the covering with a hatchet, and then strip the wires with the hatchet.

My son just started his first year, and his first class, he was told to use the proper tools for the job.

Les
Posted By: LK Re: Sidecutters as Strippers - 09/21/03 07:56 PM
Gunther,

If you want to see production wireman, not electricians work, then you will see why they call them hatchet men. They cut the cable with a hatchet, strip down the covering with a hatchet, and then strip the wires with the hatchet.

My son just started his first year, and his first class, he was told to use the proper tools for the job.

Les
Posted By: Pinemarten Re: Sidecutters as Strippers - 09/23/03 12:20 PM
I have used strippers since day one.
I have had supervisors say it was slow.
I tried once to use my Kleins, and damaged the wire.
I wonder how may damaged wires are out there, caused by people 'practising' to use the wrong tool for the job.
Posted By: sparked Re: Sidecutters as Strippers - 09/23/03 10:11 PM
I've used sidecutters as strippers before, but I almost always use a klein version of a t-stripper now. the problem with sidecutters (for me anyway!) is that I someimes nick the wire and a lot of the work I do now already has short leads from past electricians.
Posted By: Spark Master Flash Re: Sidecutters as Strippers - 10/26/03 07:59 AM
I think that people who use lineman's pliers for wire strippers are fooling themselves into thinking they're skilled enough to keep from nicking the copper.

Cut the insulation off with them and then look closely at the wire. It's got a groove in it. That's not the best way to go.

No matter how gentle a guy thinks he is, no matter how skilled, one side of the cutter gets through the plastic insulation before the other side. The first side is in the copper, and has to stay in the copper until the other side cuts through the plastic.

It's better to use the right tool. Some electricians seem to think that the best way to work is to keep the least number of tools and weight on their body as possible. If that's the goal, they've achieved it.

Look at the wire, see if there's a groove after you cut it with lineman's. Don't just assume there's no groove and brag. Look at it. You'll see that you're not as good as you think you are.

Now go pound a post in the ground with your lineman's pliers, then adjust your motorcycle chain with them, then eat your breakfast with them. A good electrician can do all of those things, right?

I can't believe what some people will tell themselves. It won't burn every building down to strip wire with lineman's pliers, but the fact remains that it scores the copper and that creates resistance and heat, even a small amount. People who strip with lineman's won't ever change, but are spreading shadetree techniques to tell people to do it the primitive way. Laziness is all it is. Anybody telling me to strip with lineman's probably works on their car and motorcycle with Channellocks. They've probably never owned a set of sockets or wrenches. Everything is probably done with crescent wrenches and pliers, lineman's and Channellocks.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Sidecutters as Strippers - 10/26/03 09:45 AM
Spark Master,
Now that's just being silly.
Never assume that people are all the same in basic technique.
I've just had a go at stripping(with my Kliens, using my usual method) a couple of pieces of 1.5mm2 and 2.5mm2 Conduit wire (which has a harder sheath) and there is no way that there are any nicks, gouges or so forth.
After all, you are(or should be) only clenching hard enough to break the surface of the insulation, not going through it into the copper.
Stripping wire takes brains, not muscles. [Linked Image]
Posted By: :andy: Re: Sidecutters as Strippers - 10/26/03 12:13 PM
we use these ones

[Linked Image from direktronik.se]

on the top, you can adjust how thick your insulation is. if you don't know, better set to thinner first, this will reduce the Strenght. With this tool, you can strip AWG 30 to AWG 9 stranded or solid, without any damage to the conductor. Great quality tool, i've seen they are over 100$ in the US [Linked Image], here you get a new one for $40 on ebay-
Posted By: frank Re: Sidecutters as Strippers - 10/26/03 12:14 PM
What about the sub-standard crimper's you get built in to some of these strippers.I have strippers in my pouch and use them when they are around for stripping and won't get off the ladder to get them.I will however walk a mile to go get a pair of real crimper's when it comes to putting on stake-ons.Just me i guess.
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Sidecutters as Strippers - 10/26/03 12:32 PM
Speak for yourself sparkmaster flicker. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Spark Master Flash Re: Sidecutters as Strippers - 10/26/03 07:04 PM
The only way I can see somebody not scoring the wire is if they only score the plastic most of the way through, then push the insulation off the wire, putting the scored plastic under enough tensile load to break the insulation at the score line.

That is too much work - could lead to repetitive motion injuries. Pushing the insulation off the wire when it's cut all the way through requires considerable effort, but it requires even more effort if the plastic isn't cut all the way.

Cutting all the way through will make a score line on one side at least.

Just my ignorant opinion!

Now if you don't mind, I have to go change my spark plugs with my lineman's pliers.
Posted By: iwire Re: Sidecutters as Strippers - 10/26/03 07:52 PM
Those who have the biggest tool boxes are not necessarily the best.

Many times a large inventory of tools is a way to divert attention from lack luster performance.

Bob
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Sidecutters as Strippers - 10/26/03 07:59 PM
I do occasionally strip wires with linemen's pliers, mostly 'cause I got a strong talent for storing my stuff somewhere I'll never find it again. A pair of old linemen's is usually the easiest thing to find somewhere. I try just to score the plastic but not cut it all the way through on either side, then I take it with the pliers and pull it off. Works good but definitely isn't ideal. I used to have something like the tool on the picture, it even autosensed the wire thickness, but after half a year of moderate use it fell apart. *GRRRR*
Posted By: james S Re: Sidecutters as Strippers - 10/27/03 04:02 PM
intresting discussion!
just to comment on what people feel most comfort with, i think what ever tool they choose to use for the job is fine as long as the job is correct and safe.
last week there was a joiner making off a three core flex with a chisel ready for a plug top,whilst he went off looking for a plug i inspected his work and found nothing wrong (could not have done it better my self....with side cutters!!!!)
i also use my pliers for crimping (incorporated crimping nipple) with respect to the size of crimp, one electrician could not believe i used this tool for this job! and so i crimped a through crimp on to a scrap end of cable and told him if succesful in pulling the crimp off with his hands, i would be glad to dispose of the tool.to this day they sit in my tool box awaiting many more crimping sessions.I also use my trusty pliers for reaming 20/25mm conduit! (just like in elec school)
ps i also use a big old screwdriver as chisel and only for a chisel, his name is george [Linked Image]

i will hang my hat up the day i am sent off site for using side cutters for stripping!!

[This message has been edited by james S (edited 10-27-2003).]
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Sidecutters as Strippers - 10/28/03 04:03 PM
In the USA, I think that an electrical inspector would Red Tag a job if they saw where the conductor(s) that is/are terminated on a circuit breaker, or fuse termination ---- if the solid, or even the stranded 14, 12, or 10 AWG wire were "NICKED"!!

I personally used and have no problem with the use of a linesman pliers to skin away the wire, but if a qulaified person or installer doesn't have the "feel" down pat, the wire will be NICKED, and a simple movement forward, and back will break the wire at the point where the "nick" in the wire was located.

Most of the training publications show using a knife, a dull one at that.

I haven't had time to look into the new NECA, NEIS Standards to see what they show.

Any new kids going through school somewhere? What are they teaching you to use?

PS: NEIS = National Electrical Installation Standards by the National Electrical Contractors Association.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Sidecutters as Strippers - 10/29/03 02:58 AM
[Linked Image]

See the Side-cutting knives at hinge.
Posted By: mvrandazzo Re: Sidecutters as Strippers - 10/29/03 07:18 PM
You mean I've been using my sidecutters as a hammer for years and all this time I could have been using it to strip wires?

Mark
Posted By: Electric Eagle Re: Sidecutters as Strippers - 10/29/03 10:20 PM
After reading all this thread about using sidecutters as strippers I decided to try it today. For 12 and 14 awg it does a fairly good job and did not nick or damage the conductor at all. I thought it was a lot slower than my T-Strippers, though. I guess if you got used to it and didn't have to switch tools as ofter it might be OK, but I'll stick to using my strippers as strippers and my sidecutters as a hammer like it was designed to be.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Sidecutters as Strippers - 10/29/03 10:25 PM
The problem with using pliers for crimping terminals is that you can appear at first to have a joint which is mechanically sound, but which in reality isn't.

The "one size fits all" crimping jaws on some pliers might just about be suitable for certain terminals, but there's really nothing to beat a crimping tool designed for the terminals in use.
Posted By: Speedy Petey Re: Sidecutters as Strippers - 10/29/03 11:38 PM
I believe the crimper in your average Klien linemans pliers is for crimping ground barrels. It does a perfect job.
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: Sidecutters as Strippers - 10/30/03 12:00 AM
Special Tools- Connectors to be assembled to wire using a special tool are to be assembled using the tool specified by the manufacturer on or in the connector shipping carton. Such tools are identified by appropriate marking.
The above is from the UL Guide Information for Wire Connectors and Soldering Lugs (ZMVV).
Don
Posted By: mostwanted Re: Sidecutters as Strippers - 11/04/03 05:18 PM
I have stripped coaxial cabletv wires with side-cutters. I know a few old school installers that used razor blades. I guess I vote for what works best for you.
Posted By: electure Re: Sidecutters as Strippers - 11/07/03 12:59 AM
Does anybody use the needlenose (like in Joe's picture) that have the stripping hole in the knives. It strips only a #12, but if you've got a lot of that to do, they work great, and feel real solid. The best of both worlds, maybe?
(The ones by Klein & Ideal, not a pair that were blown out by cutting the "wrong wire", although I'll bet that's where they got the idea [Linked Image])
Posted By: sparked Re: Sidecutters as Strippers - 11/07/03 01:34 AM
Electure
I saw somewhere that the T-stripper idea actually did come after someone burnt a hole in their linesmans while cutting a hot wire. It was perfect sized for #12. I think the form to submit an idea to Ideal had a T in the name somewhere, and it was named after that. I have a T-stripper that has a precision cut with electricity #6 stripping hole

[This message has been edited by sparked (edited 11-06-2003).]
Posted By: DougW Re: Sidecutters as Strippers - 11/12/03 05:43 AM
Just tell folks they were EDM'd [Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums