ECN Forum
Posted By: walrus Hurricane Isabel is bearing down - 09/14/03 08:28 PM
Living here on the coast of Maine, the hurricane watch has begun. The latest forecast track has it right over the outer banks in NC but who knows what will happen until its a day or so before landing. Scary stuff for anyone on the eastern seaboard. My house is right on Penobscot Bay, within peeing distance to the high tide mark. A southwest wind would kill me if it was at hurricane strength. I already have plywood for some of the front windows from previous scares. Will I need it again?? Who else is potentially in harms way??
Posted By: pauluk Re: Hurricane Isabel is bearing down - 09/14/03 09:33 PM
Wow! I never realized that so far north was still in the hurricane zone.

I thought most of the hurricanes seldom got much further north than Virginia, or maybe Maryland.
Posted By: OBX Re: Hurricane Isabel is bearing down - 09/14/03 10:18 PM
Hello everyone! This is my first post to this forum, have been following for some time now. I really like it and have got alot of questions answered.

I live right here on the Outer Banks of NC. It does not look good at all. Everyone is getting plans together now to leave. [Linked Image]

I still have a rough-in to finish up on Hatteras Island, need to get it done quick so I can get the money while the house is still there. [Linked Image]

Anyways I'm sure I'll post more from now on.

Thanks Tim

[This message has been edited by OBX (edited 09-14-2003).]
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Hurricane Isabel is bearing down - 09/14/03 10:19 PM
A few years ago we had one almost roll through New York City.....

I think it just touched the outer edges of the city....I didn't feel anything.

Back in 1985 (or was it 86) we had Hurricane Gloria that was supposed to barrel through NYC. I think we only got the eye and then it died off...I was about 10 years old or so at the time.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Hurricane Isabel is bearing down - 09/14/03 11:09 PM
Welcome Tim!

I used to vacation down your way in Nags Head, near Jockey Ridge State Park. I imagine there's going to be a Big Traffic Jam if people decide to leave at the same time.

Sven,

I don't remember the year of that last Hurricane that went through our area but the eye went over central Long Island. I was living in Smithtown at the time and remember going outside and how eerily calm it was for awhile. Many people were without power for a week or more after that one because of all the downed trees.

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 09-14-2003).]
Posted By: walrus Re: Hurricane Isabel is bearing down - 09/14/03 11:16 PM
Pauluk
No doubt Maine is pretty far north for a hurricane. The water outside my house is around 60 F. Not conducive for hurricanes for sure but Maine has over 1000 miles of ocean frontage if one goes into every jag along the coastline. Thousands of fisherman and thousands of boats moored all over the place. I doubt the hurricane would be a Cat 5 more likely a Cat 1 but even that can do big damage especially with a strong surge. All coastal living Mainers are keeping an eye on the weather channel [Linked Image]

OBX
My sister in law lives in Nags Head, she waxes poetic about how beautiful it is(and it is) but she has never been there when a hurricane has come thru. Good luck to you guys, you're pretty close to what appears to be ground zero

[This message has been edited by walrus (edited 09-14-2003).]
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Hurricane Isabel is bearing down - 09/14/03 11:44 PM
On the "Big Traffic Jam" exodus, apparently some regional emergency-evacuation planners are talking over temporary "both sides of the road same direction leaving town" as a means of easing the problem.
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: Hurricane Isabel is bearing down - 09/15/03 12:27 AM
Gulp

Also check out http://www.weather.gov for the latest and greatest info.
Posted By: George Corron Re: Hurricane Isabel is bearing down - 09/15/03 02:30 AM
Yup,
Hey diddle diddle, straight up the middle......of the Chesapeake Bay. Geeeez, I wuz an apprentice when Agnes came through in 72, I'M TOO OLD FOR THIS CRAP!!!!!!!!!

Oh well, get ready. It may burn out, may go another way, but if that 160 mph monster hits the bay, probably be awhile till ya hear from me, unless you're on the ham radio.

BTW, Good links ThinkGood, try www.hwn.org
for the hurricane watch net. Course, it's from a ham's point of view. Hunker down boys, where ever it hits land ain't gonna have a good time.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Hurricane Isabel is bearing down - 09/15/03 02:49 AM
Well, I'm sitting in New Jersey, just heard the weather on CNN, looked at the track & the "odds" for the neighboring states.

I remember someone saying something about a "100 year storm", well the last Cat 5 in NJ was 99 years ago????

I have a home on a lagoon, about 1/4 mile in from Barnegat Bay. House is <5' above mean high high water level.

Guess I better tie things down, & add a few extra lines to the boat.

John
Posted By: LK Re: Hurricane Isabel is bearing down - 09/15/03 03:33 AM
I New Jersey we took a hit with a storm with less strength then this one, It was the same path they are warning us about. The Ocean met the Bay from Bay Head to Sea Side and all you could see were 2 story roof tops. There were homes all along the Ocean and Bay and they were gone, along with the railroad tracks that went from Bay Head to Sea Side. Ocean City lost a lot of real estate. Sandy Hook went down to half it,s size. I was just a little guy at that time. But I remember my Dad's Eyes tearing as we looked at the damage.
Posted By: sparky Re: Hurricane Isabel is bearing down - 09/15/03 11:30 AM
gee, no New Englanders with a 'bring it on' tude?

c'mon guys.....get yer mucluks and floppy hats out

[Linked Image]
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Hurricane Isabel is bearing down - 09/15/03 01:55 PM
Here's some info on Hurricane Gloria (1985) -- I was 10 at the time, don't remember much - the city didn't get anything.

Apparently according to these two articles, Gloria really tore through Long Island, Connecticut and the rest of New England:
http://www.usatoday.com/weather/news/2000/wgloria15.htm
http://www.geocities.com/hurricanene/hurricanegloria.htm
Posted By: George Corron Re: Hurricane Isabel is bearing down - 09/15/03 05:35 PM
We were discussing this storm at our tests on Saturday. It was historically the meanest ever recorded. It was in 1938, caused massive damage in the DC area, but landfall occurred in Long Island. Geeeez Bill, DUCK.
http://www2.sunysuffolk.edu/mandias/38hurricane/weather_history_38.html
Posted By: rlrct Re: Hurricane Isabel is bearing down - 09/15/03 05:47 PM
The primary reason that the 1938 hurricane was so damaging was the rain that preceeded it. According to my Dad (6 at the time), it had rained a LOT in the days/weeks before the storm blew through. The ground was fully saturated. When the hurricane hit, trees didn't snap so much as uproot.

I remember the '85 hurricane. Wifey and I were trying to sell our condo in mid-CT. We were without power for 5 days. Shaving by candle-light for a couple of days isn't too bad. Besides, it got the 'fridge cleaned out.
As a self procalimed weather nut I say bring it on! While I hate to see people suffer and such I love extreme weather events. Yes I am one of those dopes that shows up to watch the waves pound the shore while normal people stay warm and dry. Can't wait till Nor'easter season!
Posted By: sparky Re: Hurricane Isabel is bearing down - 09/15/03 09:05 PM
heh~ i'm one of those dopes that disregards all warnings to go out and work in it

yet i still can't hold a candle to the linesmen out there, they really earn it
Posted By: txsparky Re: Hurricane Isabel is bearing down - 09/15/03 10:33 PM
You Yanks are in our prayers! Heed all warnings and get out if need be. Heck, we may even have room for 1 or 2 more of you in Texas.Just don't buy along the Gulf [Linked Image]

Good Luck,
Donnie
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Hurricane Isabel is bearing down - 09/16/03 03:06 AM
Donnie....

Don't you guys get a lot of TORNADOS in parts of Texas?

Make room in that cellar!!!!!! [Linked Image]

At least with a hurrican you can sort of see it coming. Tornados seem to be more "spur of the moment", correct?
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: Hurricane Isabel is bearing down - 09/17/03 02:49 AM
[Linked Image from 65.108.216.53]

Full size: http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/gallery/?2003257-0914/Isabel2.A2003257.1755.1km.jpg

Large file size!

[This message has been edited by ThinkGood (edited 09-16-2003).]
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Hurricane Isabel is bearing down - 09/17/03 06:54 PM
Thursday AM, stashed the patio furniture in garage, got stuff off of garage floor (about time), put away the wife's decoration knick-knacks & secured the boat. Can't do any more.

Last I heard, we have a tropical storm warning for the entire coast (NJ) & it may include Long Island & NY area.

I feel for the people in the Carolinas & wherever it hits.

Well, back to work, & I have a class starting tonite at the VoTech, future sparkies basic training, EL101, nite 1.

John
Posted By: spkjpr Re: Hurricane Isabel is bearing down - 09/18/03 02:05 AM
You all have my sympathies and are in my thoughts, especially the linemen. My area suffers from tornadoes, they come up fast and leave fast. Not anything like a hurricane which is just as destructive but lasts a lot longer. Batten down the hatches and stay safe, we need all the sparkies we have!
© ECN Electrical Forums