ECN Forum
Posted By: Jim M How's that again? - 09/10/03 12:54 AM
I just heard this today.

It is OK for a homeowner to wire a hot tub with no inspection. However if a contractor wires the tub it must be inspected.

I guess theres logic somewhere in this.
Posted By: Ron Re: How's that again? - 09/10/03 01:12 AM
That is not the case in my jurisdiction.
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: How's that again? - 09/10/03 01:58 AM
[Attempted] suicide vs. [attempted] murder?
Posted By: Sandro Re: How's that again? - 09/10/03 02:00 AM
Hrm.. If I take my car in for a brake service, by law, a *licensed* mechanic is required to do the work. However, any joe blow can do brake work at home.

Whats wrong with this picture?
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: How's that again? - 09/10/03 02:04 AM
Within the State of NJ, all electrical work excluding minor repairs is required to have a permit and be inspected.

Homeowners (single family, owner occupied) are allowed to do their own work, WITH A PERMIT, if "qualified". ("Quaification is determined by the AHJ doing the permit/plan review and approval.)

John
Posted By: Electric Eagle Re: How's that again? - 09/10/03 03:36 AM
In our area even if the home owner wires it, it should be inspected. That said, it is extremely rare for a permit to be pulled for a hot tub only. We are suposed to pull a permit to do anything, even change a simple luminaire. If we did that the cost would skyrocket and the inspectors couldn't inspect everything.
Posted By: straightedge Re: How's that again? - 09/10/03 04:56 AM
Exactly Electric Eagle,

Finally, after reading so many posts about getting permits, does someone hit the nail on the head.

I never pull a permit for all of the residential service work I do. I don't believe anyone in Arizona does.

How rediculous would that be. Sorry customer, I can't energize your new motion sensor light. It will be another week untill the city inspector can make it out and approve it. Can I please get paid though.
© ECN Electrical Forums