ECN Forum
Sad to say I've been an electrician for a long time and have never completely wired up a house from start to finish. Do most EC's have a pattern they follow?

Like:

1)install service
2)hang all boxes
3)make homeruns
4)make device runs
5)finish

I'm sure my list will be disected thoroughly but that's OK. [Linked Image]
The way my Boss usually does it (here in conduit country):

[IIRC - it's late, and I'm not even halfway through a 36 hour shift, so I apologize in advance [Linked Image] ]

Install Temp Service

Install meter box, service entrance, and MPB (typically in basement)

Run "jumpers" from temp service through service entrance to MPB - we usually mount (2) 1900's piggybacked to the MPB as temporary outlets.

Find likely (or convenient) path. Run 1 pipe 2fl to MPB. Install 2 1900 boxes on each floor, and run to the MPB. Connect 4 duplex 20a recepts for contractors (mainly us) for lights and drills. This will be pulled later, and incorporated into house. Connect with appropriate conductors based on distance - I think he usually pulls 10 awg cu - 4 circuits on 20a breakers.

The next two are done simultaneously:

Re-review plans, and "spot" 1900's in each area (rooms, halls, attic, garage) for recepts, sw's; spot octagons for sconces, fan support boxes, etc. Indicate home run box (typically a deep 1900 used for switches in finished install), or feed from/to other rooms if no HR in area. Tack mount your can lights.

Conduit runs stubbed from MPB up to 1fl (# of runs determined by # of rooms, special needs, SP's, etc) - usually 3/4 EMT for HR's

Pipe each area from area outlets to area HR box, and all 3 and 4 (and 5) way switch runs.

Complete all HR's from areas to stubs from basement.

Pull wires in rooms. # in HR based on # of circuits in room, special needs/demands, etc (DUH). Try to remember to label your runs - saves time and guess work later!

Affix plaster rings for 1900's, and caps for octagons/fan support boxes.

Tuck ends into boxes for drywallers / painters

End of rough period - await "rough" AHJ inspection

Connect receptacles, switches; cap & tape any unused conductors (i.e. occupant supplied fixtures).

connect HR's - test and label - 2 way's are great for this.

Await pre-final AHJ inspection

Finish trimming out outlets and switches by adding cover plates (clip-on pocket level is great for this). Install owner-supplied fixtures. Explain to owner that you really can't change the way things are done at this point. Really.

Test all circuits. Await Final AHJ inspection (woo hoo)

Think that's it. I'm goin' to bed.
We like to box out a whole floor first. Write on the studs at switches what the box is for, especially multi gang boxes, and also phone/cable/network.
I like to run device and lighting runs first and this determines HR location. Usually that is obvious being the closest/easiest one to the panel.
I make up all splices right away and twist switch pairs and 3-ways at each device location. This way if I'm not the one to do the devices anyone will know whats what.
After rough inspection, and if it's up to us after paint, we device out and hang fixtures.
Service is usually up to customer $$$. If there will be a partial payment after the service is turned on it is done and inspected separately.
I have done houses where the service was not on until we deviced out.
© ECN Electrical Forums