ECN Forum
Posted By: aldav53 Job Pricing - 08/06/03 06:32 PM
I'm updating some of my job cost and wanted to do some comparing.
What are your charges?
Here are a few,
Thanks,

For repairs:
$40 service call/dianosis charge + $45 p/hr.

200 amp service change:
$1300.00 Flat rate charge usually but can vary. (These are all-in-one outdoor panels).

Ceiling fans:
$35 per fan. (pre-wired)
$150 per fan (wired)
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Job Pricing - 08/06/03 06:48 PM
Just a note:
Wife picked a paddle fan for our LR
Took down old one for trash
Mounted & assembled new one
Sales guy gave her wrong bulbs
Got right bulbs (1 trip to hardware store)
Turned on fan
Blades wobble; checked
Found mounting was bent/deformed; no box damage
Took fan back to store
Assemble & mount 2nd fan
Motor makes noise
Took fan back to store
Assemble & mount 3rd fan
Only works in one direction (counter clockwise)

Needless to say at $35 per fan, it would have been a loosing proposition.

I'm getting a different fan Sat.; & not from the big box store.

The "bad" fans were not "cheap", in the $100 range.

Going to a lighting showroom now, like I told her to do the first time. It may cost a few extra bucks.

Your pricing looks average for 200 amp; and service call rate looks "low".
Average around here is $75 to $100 1st hr

John
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Job Pricing - 08/06/03 11:47 PM
Aren't we electricians supposed to keep all this stuff secret? Unlike the plumbers who conspire to get every penny they can?

200 amp service minimum $1500.00 Single family easy job.
Replace light with ceiling fan $200.00
New receptacle on first floor $150.00
Service call minimum $75.00 up to an hour $70.00 each hour after
Add recessed light old work $150.00 per light.
Move truck after I start working because you are to stupid to park out of the way. First day free $25.00 each time after.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Job Pricing - 08/07/03 02:10 AM
Scott:
If I called you to put the fan up, I'd really be pxxxed at the big box store.

John
Posted By: aldav53 Re: Job Pricing - 08/07/03 02:45 AM
Thanks, looks like I need to raise my prices.
Posted By: LK Re: Job Pricing - 08/07/03 03:00 AM
Is the 200 Amp service with alum bus panel or copper buss ? are the breakers $2.00 Breakers or $6.00 breakers. are the service conductors full size or reduced size. or are you using alum service cable, or Alum threaded pipe or PVC Pipe. Is the ground wire 6ft from the panel or 40 feet through finished rooms of a split level home. Is the service lateral one length stright or sweeps.
How can you have a set price. I found an invoice for a 200Amp service 1989 Amount $1950.00 We are in the year 2003 I assume the cost of living does not apply to the electrical contracting business. It appears Plumbing contractors are in business to earn a living.

[This message has been edited by LK (edited 08-06-2003).]
Posted By: aldav53 Re: Job Pricing - 08/07/03 05:21 AM
LK,
This is for an exhisting service upgrade, not a new home.
Most of the standard breakers like Murry, Cutler Hammer, Square D (Homeline brand) are all about the same price.
(You must be a plumber, what are reduced size conductors? And aluminum threaded pipe? Thats a new one on me!).
Posted By: Electric Eagle Re: Job Pricing - 08/07/03 01:20 PM
I wouldn't get out of the truck for $1300 to do a 200 amp service upgrade. In our area there are no panels mounted outside, so that's probably the biggest difference. Depending on the situation, $2000 - $3000 will get a service upgraded to 200 amps.

Our minimum charge is $85, including about 30 minutes of work or troubleshooting.

We still give free estimates and get most of them.

In most situation we will retrofit rcessed cans for $100 each including the can, trim, and bulb. Minimum of 4 in one room using an existing switchleg. Plaster will double this cost, but we might give a small discount on a really easy drywall job with lots of cans.

Ceiling Fan prewired and braced, up to 10 ft ceiling - $65 for the first one, $55 after that, $85 minimum charge over rides if only one fan.
Posted By: LK Re: Job Pricing - 08/08/03 03:29 AM
That price was for a service upgrade.
The reduced size conductor for 200amp Dwelling Service would be 2/0 copper or 4/0 alum. Full size conductors for 200amp service would be from Table 310.16
Alum or Rigid pipe may be required for some installations. No not a plumber, 35 years plus in the trade. If you need info for pricing send me your E-mail address and I will send some info that may help.

[This message has been edited by LK (edited 08-07-2003).]
Posted By: aldav53 Re: Job Pricing - 08/08/03 04:25 AM
LK, my email is: alselec@cox.net
Thanks,
Al D
Posted By: aldav53 Re: Job Pricing - 08/09/03 01:47 AM
Another job tough to estimate is trenching. I need to run a 3/4 PVC trenched underground 140 ft between post lights at a townhome complex. Does anyone charge by the foot? Last one I did about the same legth I charged just under $700 and thats with a $200 trencher rental. I did not charge enough on that on.
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Job Pricing - 08/09/03 10:50 AM
LK You are confirming what I posted. What is the big secret. I feel posting prices here or comparing with other guys in the supply house is a good thing. With people regularly calling numerous contractors to get estimates I like to know what the going rates are. Keeps me from being lowest price or the highest price guy around. As for trenching, No thanks!
Posted By: LK Re: Job Pricing - 08/09/03 05:28 PM
Scott, not my post. Checking other prices will never help you operate for profit. You must know your own overhead and expenses along with the area economy to bid for a profit. The other guy may be operating at a loss and you don't want to follow his pricing. The reason you don't see prices posted is the sucessful contractors are bidding based on their cost of doing business. That is the secret not pricing.

[This message has been edited by LK (edited 08-09-2003).]

[This message has been edited by LK (edited 08-09-2003).]
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Job Pricing - 08/10/03 11:01 AM
I was waiting for that one. You are correct with that. However, whatever you may come up with for what you feel should be your profit margin may be too high or low based on the average for your area. This is why you must know what the going rates are. The cost of doing bisiness in a geographic location is relatively the same for a comperable size contractor. Let's say contractors A, B, and C are getting say $75.00 per hour for a licensed guy and contractor D (maybe you) is only charging $65.00. Wouldn't you want that additonal $10 bucks every hour? I would. Simply put figure out what you need to make your business profitable and then charge as much as the market will bear. The only way to know what the market is, is to find out what others are charging. It has worked for me for ten years.
Posted By: LK Re: Job Pricing - 08/10/03 03:52 PM
You should look at your operating costs to set your correct markup. Don't worry about the other guy, and forget margins, remember the net profit will keep you in good financial condition. Once you set your net profit, you can focus more time running the business rather then concerns of bill paying.
Yes you can always charge more but never less, so don,t waste time looking at the low bid. Don't sell price, selling price only brings in the difficult customers. The customers you want will know, they get what they pay for. I find spending more time selling myself and my business works well.
Scott, years ago I tried chasing price until my debt was way up there, and my wife was telling me to get a job.
Posted By: straightedge Re: Job Pricing - 08/15/03 11:35 PM
Aldav53,
I am also an electrical contractor in the phoenix metro area. Mesa, AZ to be exact. I can usually make a profit if I charge $1,300.00 for a 200-amp panel up grade. That is if SRP and the city inspection pass the first time and get the meter put on that same day.

I have found that I am on the low side. I am currently putting up two 100-amp panel-meter combos side by side on a rental unit in phoenix. My proposal was at $2,300.00. So I have learned to charge a little more because that what the market can bear. My material so far is only at around $500.00. And my two guys spent eight hours each for a total out of pocket cost of $795.00. And I am charging $2,300.00 because I know I can.

Pretty Cool Ahe.
© ECN Electrical Forums