ECN Forum
Posted By: C-H Dimensions of standard American box - 08/04/03 03:53 PM
How high, wide and deep is a standard American (in wall) box for a receptacle or switch?

How far apart are the mounting screws?
Posted By: GEO Re: Dimensions of standard American box - 08/04/03 04:49 PM
depends on the amount of fill?
mountings screws 3 1/4" apart.
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Dimensions of standard American box - 08/04/03 05:31 PM
Here is a website that lists and sells all types of metal boxes for wiring devices.
http://www.capeelectric.com/marion/catalog/raco/
Posted By: C-H Re: Dimensions of standard American box - 08/04/03 05:42 PM
Thanks!

I didn't realise you had different types.
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: Dimensions of standard American box - 08/04/03 06:13 PM
The link to "Thomas & Betts", manufacturer of the "Steel City" brand is
http://tnbelectricalworld.tnb.com/ps/con/ . Click on PRODUCT on the left or use the items in the grey box on the right to search the catalog. (They have some measurements in the catalog.)

The image below is from Pass & Seymour; one can use the measurements from this to figure out some of the measurements of the device box. (On second thought, perhaps not...)
[Linked Image from 65.108.216.53]

For Pass and Seymour information, visit http://www.passandseymour.com/ and click on "Downloads."

P. S. The "average" metal box size is 3 inches tall by 2 inches wide. Depth can be from 1 1/2 inches to 3 1/2 inches.

[This message has been edited by ThinkGood (edited 08-04-2003).]
Posted By: pauluk Re: Dimensions of standard American box - 08/04/03 11:07 PM
NOw you can argue over whether they pictured that duplex receptacle upside down or not.... <Exits hastily, duck & cover> [Linked Image]
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: Dimensions of standard American box - 08/04/03 11:38 PM

Right! Not so fast, you!
Posted By: ScottM Re: Dimensions of standard American box - 08/05/03 12:43 AM
Upside Down !!
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Dimensions of standard American box - 08/05/03 02:19 AM
It's all relative. It depends on the orientation of the right-angle moulded plug belonging to the appliance you want to connect.

The position of the receptacle pictured would be perfect for my icebox's plug were I to have vertical receptacles in my flat. [Linked Image]
Posted By: amp-man Re: Dimensions of standard American box - 08/05/03 03:41 AM
Hey,

I think it depends on whether you're in the Northern Hemisphere or the Southern...and if you're right on the Equator, you can use non-grounding receptacles!

Cliff
Posted By: stamcon Re: Dimensions of standard American box - 08/05/03 06:13 AM
If you're on the equator, can you use non-polarized receptacles?
Posted By: classicsat Re: Dimensions of standard American box - 08/05/03 03:29 PM
By virtue of the fact most equatorial countries are "third world", with apparently little or no regs or enforcement, anything goes.
Posted By: C-H Re: Dimensions of standard American box - 08/05/03 06:43 PM
So if I design a triplex receptacle which is 2.5" tall, 1.25" deep and 1.75" wide, it will fit most boxes?

Don't worry, I won't change your 125V plugs. I just wanted to check that my new 250V system would fit American boxes too.

[This message has been edited by C-H (edited 08-05-2003).]
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: Dimensions of standard American box - 08/06/03 02:06 AM
Sure, as long as there is a "yoke" to attach it to the box, with screw holes that are 3 and 9/32 of an inch apart (vertically).

Here's a drawing I found that should clear up any questions:

"A" depends on the depth, see the posting above.

The lighter areas are the mounting tabs that may or may not be needed, depending on the method used to mount the box in the wall. They have no bearing on the device that is used, since it will attach to the screw holes that are spaced as mentioned above.

Note: The screw holes for mounting the device are described as "#6-32 TAP" on the one drawing that I saw.

[This message has been edited by ThinkGood (edited 08-05-2003).]
Posted By: emcee Re: Dimensions of standard American box - 08/24/03 01:23 AM
as to the ground orientation, some city regs address this specifically. Where I live city regs require ground up above 4' and ground down below 4'
© ECN Electrical Forums