ECN Forum
Posted By: Bill Addiss Anyone do Fiber Optics Here? - 07/16/01 03:05 AM
I was just curious if anyone here does any Fiber or intends to, interested in, etc. It's pretty amazing stuff.

I just completed a training course a couple of weeks ago in Boston and am now oficially a C.F.O.T. (Certified Fiber Optics Technician) BTW, not nearly as difficult to work with as I first thought.

Bill
Posted By: Scott35 Re: Anyone do Fiber Optics Here? - 07/16/01 04:39 AM
Bill,

Could you pass the info. about that course to me?? Is there an Online course, or one in So. California? Hope so [Linked Image]
If not, need a link to a good and quick Human Cloning company, so I can go to Boston and also be onsite in California at the same time [Linked Image]

TIA! See 'ya

Scott SET
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Anyone do Fiber Optics Here? - 07/16/01 05:05 AM
Scott,

As luck may have it, this training may be available here at ECN real soon.

Any other interest here?

Bill
Posted By: sparky Re: Anyone do Fiber Optics Here? - 07/16/01 10:48 AM
My Bro in Boston does Fiber, keeps sayin' i can sub out for a week if i'm slow, great $$$
interested for mercinary purposes !

Didn't the mag run a 6-part series?

[This message has been edited by sparky (edited 07-16-2001).]
Posted By: doc Re: Anyone do Fiber Optics Here? - 07/18/01 04:07 AM
I have played with fiber optics but nothing serious do know u can use a flashlight to test to see if it is broken would like to learn more about.Another thing also would be PLC training
Posted By: Resistor Re: Anyone do Fiber Optics Here? - 07/22/01 12:23 AM
Originally posted by doc:
I have played with fiber optics but nothing serious do know u can use a flashlight to test to see if it is broken would like to learn more about.Another thing also would be PLC training

I don't know Doc, if the line is broke iside insulation it may still show the light. How do you judge the light intensity, I don't know.

As far a PLC, didn't know they used them with fiber optics, but an PLC is not that complicated as long as you understand ladder diagrams, and understand relay logic.

On a PLC you connect all the controls (input/output) to (incoming/outgoing) terminals on the PLC terminal panel. Then PLC controls all {relay} operations. Learning the symbols and their functions are what matter. Much better than relay panels, especially if you make a mistake, quick to fix. Thats what I remember, hope it helps!

[This message has been edited by Resistor (edited 07-21-2001).]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Anyone do Fiber Optics Here? - 07/22/01 12:41 AM
doc,

I was talking about Fiber Optics in regards to communications - like as a replacement for copper wires. Right now I believe that about 90% of all long distance telephone cables are fiber now.

As to PLC's have you seen our area at ECN?

https://www.electrical-contractor.net/PLC_Page.htm
Posted By: old Appy Re: Anyone do Fiber Optics Here? - 07/22/01 04:16 AM
i would like to know more about it
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Anyone do Fiber Optics Here? - 07/22/01 06:33 PM
old Appy,

Welcome back!
If you have any specific questions just ask.

[Linked Image]
Bill
© ECN Electrical Forums