ECN Forum
Posted By: waymag New Texas Licenseing - 07/20/03 12:56 AM
What do the guys from Texas think of this. I am just wondering if it means all the guys who have been in the trade more than 6 years will basicaly be able to achieve a license. I would hate to think all the studying to get my license 4 years ago will now seem worthless to me and alot of other electricians who I have talked to.
Posted By: txsparky Re: New Texas Licenseing - 07/20/03 01:43 AM
See This Site for answers to frequently asked questions about the licensing. I personally think that it is great, because it will require licensing out in the county(s) instead of just in the cities. It has just been a free-for-all in the rural areas. I still don't know how they expect to hire enough inspectors to enforce it though. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by txsparky (edited 07-19-2003).]
Posted By: waymag Re: New Texas Licenseing - 07/20/03 01:52 AM
That is the site I was talking about. I am just worried about some of the guys with time in the trade who will just be able to up and get a license without taking a test under the grandfathering part.
Posted By: txsparky Re: New Texas Licenseing - 07/20/03 02:32 AM
Hopefully, the only ones to be grandfathered in will be those that are currently licensed. Until the application forms are finalized and made available, it's anybody's guess.
Posted By: Happi_Man Re: New Texas Licenseing - 07/21/03 08:26 PM
They did something similar not too long ago here in Ohio. It wasn't very easy though and our guys who got grandfathered in had 17-22 years experience in the trade...that's just as good if not better than learning it in a school if you ask me...

They also had to prove that they had experience with the business and legal parts of it as well...its not like a guy who started as a helper 5 years ago can go get grandfathered and get a license (at least not here is wasn't)

anyway - my 2 cents
Posted By: wolfdog Re: New Texas Licenseing - 07/21/03 11:10 PM
When they enacted the Texas air conditioning law in the early '80s, it was a farce. But there was no air conditioning licensing in affect at that time.
The test is harder to pass now however it still does not license the individual tradesman, just the company.

The state electrical license at least covers the individual tradesman with master/journeyman licenses. It is starting out better than the a/c law.
Posted By: LoneStar Re: New Texas Licenseing - 07/25/03 01:35 AM
I am going for the Master Electrician test here in september 2003. The city I am in currently recognizes the ICC testing (formerly SBCCI). I wonder if I should wait untill the TDLR is issuing the examinations?
Posted By: txsparky Re: New Texas Licenseing - 07/26/03 01:04 PM
Lonestar.
To be grandfathered in, you will have to have at least 12000 hours under a master or have held your master license for at least 1 year. So, unless you have the hours, it may be better to wait.
Donnie
Posted By: mlk682 Re: New Texas Licenseing - 08/02/03 12:26 PM
Depending on how they enforce the documentation of time It may work to your advantage. Here in Minnesota , I worked 9 months out of the year with a lay-off here and there. Ended up taking me 9 yrs to take my Master Test due to the verification process.They are not lenient on time constraints here. If your short on time two weeks, your not testing.

My 2 cents anyway

Have a good one
Posted By: txsparky Re: New Texas Licenseing - 08/11/03 08:49 PM
I sent an email to the state licensing board asking how the the new license requirements will be enforced.Currently, in Texas, at least in the areas that I am familiar with, there are no electrical inspections required in the county.The only inspections are on the septic system. [Linked Image] This was their reply.....
Mr. McMayon,

The inspections will be done as they are currently being performed - by
cities and counties. We will be hiring investigators who will be
handling the complaints.

Please refer to the "Electricians" web page at: http://www.license.state.tx.us/electricians/elec.htm

"Frequently asked questions" may be accessed at: http://www.license.state.tx.us/electricians/elecfaq.htm

Lisa Houdek
TDLR
The way I see it,there will still be no enforcement [Linked Image]. I guess all the state wants is our money with nothing in return for it. Whats New?
Posted By: The Watt Doctor Re: New Texas Licenseing - 08/14/03 03:22 PM
I'm not opposed to a state license, but I'm opposed to the way it is going to take place here in Texas. I'm not sure how many Masters are in Houston, but it is somewhere around 800. I'm #688. After I completed my apprenticeship, I went to school at night for a year and a half, and on my second try, I passed the Houston Master's test. I passed the SBCCI the first time I took it, some 6 months after I passed Houston. I've put in quite a bit of time outside of work to get my licenses. If you read the law on the site above, you'll realize that someone outside a municipality (which doesn't offer licensing) can get a Master's without taking a test. It's not right in my opinion. Not only that, I'm sure that the "standards" will be lowered.
The area's of the state that aren't being enforced at present, will still be unenforced after the law take affect. The difference for most is going to be more money for a state license, and 4 hours of class time per year. For people in Houston, I think, we will be required to have a city license as well as a state license. For me, my Houston Master's license isn't worth the paper it's written on because "word has it" that the number of Houston Master's will triple in the next year. I have to tell you, it hurt to see this law passed. I felt like everything I had worked for was reduced to ashes. But, what can you do?

Master of Puppets, going insane...
Doc
Posted By: waymag Re: New Texas Licenseing - 08/16/03 01:19 AM
Watt Doctor I 100% agree with you on that. All the shadetree electricians that are gonna get a master license by having someone lie for them saying they did the time in the trade. Sheeesh!!!!
Posted By: targetshootr Re: New Texas Licenseing - 08/16/03 01:43 AM
hmm. not sure how that compares to the process in nc. it sounds totally different.

when i was up on it a few years ago, you had to have 4 years exp in a forman/electrician capacity. (or varying amounts of time as an engineer, job estimater, etc.) also references. all time had to be verified. then a ball-busting 8 hr state exam. average pass ratio, 20%.

and now they also require classwork every year in order to renew your license.

of course each city has its journeymans exam and in my city they require a journeymen on every job for every 4(?) helpers. although i have never had that asked of me in 14 years of business. of course journeymen cannot do sidework.
© ECN Electrical Forums