ECN Forum
Posted By: sparky mini-HVAC? - 07/19/03 11:41 AM
Mama does want to see 4 exhaust fan ducts on her new house, just one 'big one' well hidden.

Is there a mini-HVAC, or similar unit i can install in the cellar of a residence?

the idea is to pipe all down to it.....

Steve (aka clueless) sparky
Posted By: walrus Re: mini-HVAC? - 07/19/03 12:55 PM
I think Nutone makes an inline ductable(is that a word [Linked Image] ) fan that one can hide in an attic(only place I've heard of them being used). Not sure if they are big enough for a whole house though as I've seen them on back to back bathrooms.
Posted By: ga.sparky56 Re: mini-HVAC? - 07/19/03 06:43 PM
Sparky, I recently used a Broan remote fan that had 4 4" inlets and 1 6" outlet mounted in the crawlspace. I piped all 4 bathrooms into it. It seems to work well.

I think the model # is mp280,don't remember the cfms.

Russell
Posted By: sparky Re: mini-HVAC? - 07/19/03 11:36 PM
ok Russ,
how did you switch it?
Posted By: ga.sparky56 Re: mini-HVAC? - 07/20/03 01:38 AM
Sparky, I used an allen bradley contactor with a 24v coil, used 24v transformer,ran 16ga. thermostat wire to a single pole switch in each bath.

Thats the only way my feeble mind could figure out.

Russell
Posted By: sparky Re: mini-HVAC? - 07/20/03 01:54 AM
that doesn't sound so bad Russ, i might have to give it a go.....thanx!
Posted By: pauluk Re: mini-HVAC? - 07/20/03 01:09 PM
Doesn't Nutone make a lot of equipment for central vacuum cleaner systems? I seem to recall seeing a catalog of such under that name.
Posted By: ga.sparky56 Re: mini-HVAC? - 07/20/03 03:39 PM
They sure do Paul.

They will sell you a complete vac system,inlets,piping,fittings, the whole 9 yards.

Russell
Posted By: wageoghe Re: mini-HVAC? - 07/21/03 02:54 PM
Fantech also makes a remote exhaust fan.
http://www.fantech.net
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: mini-HVAC? - 07/21/03 04:29 PM
Sparky:

See if this helps any.
http://www.toolbase.org/tertiaryT.asp?TrackID=&CategoryID=1435&DocumentID=2088
http://www.ductworks.net/

[This message has been edited by ThinkGood (edited 07-21-2003).]
Posted By: sparky Re: mini-HVAC? - 07/21/03 06:06 PM
options?

my thread runeth over

many thanks [Linked Image]

~S
Posted By: Sandro Re: mini-HVAC? - 07/21/03 10:08 PM
".......sparky ok Russ,
how did you switch it?"

If you are looking to save some money, No contactor is needed. Bring a 110V main power to the fan, then run an individual 110V line to each bath fan switch. Take the black of your main power and connect to the white of each bath switch. When you flick the switch on, the return wires (black on the switch) will be connected to the fan motor and away you go!

The neat thing about this system is if two people are using each bathroom, both switches can be turned on with no problem. And, when one person is done and they shut the switch, the other person still enjoys the use of the fan until they are finished.

[This message has been edited by Sandro (edited 07-21-2003).]
© ECN Electrical Forums