ECN Forum
Posted By: Electric Eagle Anybody ever splice service cable? - 07/10/03 11:12 PM
I've got a customer that is having a water problem entering through the service which enter the house below grade in the basement. From there they have 4 150 amp panels branching from a gutter. To solve the problem I need to rebuild the service, putting all the disconnects outside and re-entering above grade. All currect service cables are fairly new and are 4 conductor.

Can I splice each of these cables in a j-box or gutter? I can't find a code prohibitting splicing the main, I've just never had to do it.

Thanks
Posted By: Ron Re: Anybody ever splice service cable? - 07/10/03 11:37 PM
Where is the meter in this arrangement?
Posted By: Ron Re: Anybody ever splice service cable? - 07/10/03 11:39 PM
If it is an underground service lateral conductor, then see 230.33.
Posted By: iwire Re: Anybody ever splice service cable? - 07/10/03 11:45 PM
230.46 Allows service conductors to be spliced.
Posted By: arseegee Re: Anybody ever splice service cable? - 07/10/03 11:59 PM
David, I had a plumber run a saw thru a 4/0 SER about three years ago. He had to move his pipes and thought it would be easier to use his 18v circular saw than a drywall saw (not a real sharp guy). Well he was VERY lucky because when he went thru the SER it was rolled where he only cut the ground and neutral. The ground was cut clear through and about 50% of the neutral conductor was missing.

The panels were between floors and repulling the entire cable was out of the question but i was able to pull a new cable to an accesible point and splice the entrance.

After a discussion with the inspector, I used a 12"x12"x4" galvanized j box with two 2" nwt (romex) connectors, a 2/0 double lug for my grounding (and bond)bolted to the enclosure and three 2 conductor Ilsco insulated tap connectors for the neutrals and hots.

A hour later i had a bill for the plumber.
Thanks Guys,

The meter is outside, but inside the basement is a large can with pad locks from the poco. From there it branches to a gutter and a 3" PVC comes out the bottom of the poco can. The water leaks from a joint in the 3" pvc. It is definately a potential hazard. The homeowner thinks the poco is responsible since they own the can. I think the homeowner will ultimately have to pay to update. I really can't see why it was done this way to begin with. Also, I'm sure the conductors from the meter to the poco can are undersized, since another contractor added 2 of the 150 panels a year or so ago without a permit.
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: Anybody ever splice service cable? - 07/11/03 01:26 AM
Water entering the service entrance is a disaster waiting to happen...
© ECN Electrical Forums