ECN Forum
Posted By: MONOLITH Corp. vs LLC, etc. - 06/28/03 07:58 PM
For those of you that are heading your own registered business, I was looking for some comments.

Since I am about to launch my own company, and become legit, I have done all the research about Corporations,both S and C types, LLC's, etc.

It would seem that for an electrical contractor the obvious choice is the corporation. S type at first, to take advantage of startup costs on my personal taxes until I make a reasonable profit (god willing [Linked Image]), then convert to C type to keep the profits off my personal taxes.

I do not wish to have a partnership of any type, and there seems to be many advantages of the Corp over an LLC.

Aside from reading books, I was looking for some first hand experienced comments and advice from those of you out there that went thru it.

Thanks.
Posted By: Electric Eagle Re: Corp. vs LLC, etc. - 06/28/03 10:02 PM
I did a C corp from the start. It was just the way I was advised, however I don't think there's anything wrong with an S corp. I withold taxes from my paycheck and give myself a W-2 just like any other employee. I think it makes it easier to keep staight what's mine and what's the company's. Ask your CPA and an attorney.
Posted By: walrus Re: Corp. vs LLC, etc. - 06/28/03 11:13 PM
I run a C corp also. Give myself a monthly salary, at the end of my fiscal year I give myself a bonus(esentially empty bank account) thru payroll to avoid paying corporate taxes. My business never seems to make money [Linked Image]
I also make sure I do everything as my company and not as me to try and limit liability. Unfortunately I'm probably still on the hook
Posted By: sparky Re: Corp. vs LLC, etc. - 06/28/03 11:43 PM
MONOLITH, check out score ,a dept of the SBA that will give you free advice on the subject.

of interest to you may be the fact that you as one entity can be many S-corps, ergo you may rent/lease from yourself on paper...
Posted By: Electric Eagle Re: Corp. vs LLC, etc. - 06/29/03 02:23 AM
quote from Walrus: "My business never seems to make money"

LOL, It's amazing, my company never seems to show a profit either. Only had to pay corporate taxes 1 year and learned to never make money again. [Linked Image]
Posted By: ayrton Re: Corp. vs LLC, etc. - 07/07/03 11:48 PM
Lets just hope 'Big Brother' doesn't read these posts
Posted By: Electric Eagle Re: Corp. vs LLC, etc. - 07/08/03 01:02 AM
Big brother can read all he wants, I'm not doing anything illegal. Just making sure transactions are timed right. My company has never been audited, but I'm sure it would hold up.
Posted By: George Re: Corp. vs LLC, etc. - 07/08/03 03:50 AM
MONOLITH ---

There is very little advantage of one form of organization over another.

Ask your CPA what the difference in preparing your taxes will be. He can probably advise you best.
© ECN Electrical Forums