ECN Forum
Posted By: Thom ECN Slow Down - 06/25/03 09:03 PM
Is it my puter system or is the ECN getting sloooow? Just seems that in the last few weeks that I usually have to wait for 15-30 seconds to open a topic? Anybody else notice this?
Posted By: Roger Re: ECN Slow Down - 06/26/03 09:47 AM
I have noticed this too, although right now, there is no problem. This has been on more than one computer that I use.

Roger
Posted By: zapped208 Re: ECN Slow Down - 06/26/03 09:53 AM
Same for me too! ?????
Posted By: Gwz Re: ECN Slow Down - 06/26/03 10:21 AM
I quit going to RKeis site because my PC went to a ultra ultra- ultra - slow crawl when selecting subjects.
Posted By: Thom Re: ECN Slow Down - 06/26/03 11:43 AM
This morning it is real fast. Maybe it has to do with server activity?
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: ECN Slow Down - 06/26/03 01:01 PM
I've noticed slower response in recent times too, but wasn't sure if anyone else saw that. I'm trying to figure out what the deal is too.

I know that yesterday/last night there was some Hard Drive related problems which seem to have been taken care of by this morning. I don't know if that was related to anything or not. Please let me know if it seems better to you. (or if it doesn't)

BTW, what kind of connections are you guys on? If anyone else wants to add a comment to this please include what type of connection you are on (dialup modem, Cable, DSL etc.)

Thanks,

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 06-26-2003).]
Posted By: C-H Re: ECN Slow Down - 06/26/03 01:17 PM
I too feel that ECN has been very slow some days. I'm on a 10 MB LAN and in the same building as the ISP. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by C-H (edited 06-26-2003).]
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: ECN Slow Down - 06/26/03 02:02 PM
Well...at home I access through the Cable TV and at work I'm on a network. Both are reasonably fast.

However, keep in mind that while YOUR (end user) connection may be fast (you could have a backbone connection to the Internet) the website you're accessing could be running on a 486-processor based computer on a standard telephone mo-dem and so you'll be dependent on the speed of the "sender."

There are so many variables.

Yes, I've noticed it is a _tad_ slow (not much) but I'm used to things like this and usually attribute it to network congestion and how many people may be accessing the site at one time.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: ECN Slow Down - 06/26/03 06:28 PM
Bill,
Has there been a fault with the ECN server in the last 24 hours?.
I tried to log on yesterday morning, before I went to work, but I was given a message that the server was inoperative and to try again later?.
I tried about three or four times over a period of 24 Hours to log on but to no avail.
Thought my computer must have been broken!.
Thank God, ECN is back now!!. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Bjarney Re: ECN Slow Down - 06/26/03 07:16 PM
Trumpy/Bill: Could not get any response mid-yesterday on, with 1-minute timeout. OK today. ±1100kb/s ADSL.

Next time I’ll try to remember ping/traceroute.
Posted By: walrus Re: ECN Slow Down - 06/26/03 08:48 PM
I couldn't get on last evening at about 7 pm EST. I'm using www.CBand.net for downloads and dialup for uploads. Its pretty quick compared to just dialup. Seems fine today

[This message has been edited by walrus (edited 06-26-2003).]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: ECN Slow Down - 06/26/03 09:03 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments on this.

The ECN Server was broken last night. I still haven't heard details, but something Hard Drive related.

I know there was a problem last night. I'm interested in hearing about any other times when things were slow recently and any details you can give (once, for the last xdays/weeks, day, Time etc.) and, if it seems better after last nights ordeal.

Thanks,
Bill
Posted By: pauluk Re: ECN Slow Down - 06/26/03 10:23 PM
Ah.... That explains why I had trouble getting on late last night/early this morning (early evening/late night EDT). I could get as far as the topic list for each area, but couldn't pull up any particular thread.

Other than that, I've not noticed any other long delays recently. I'm on dial-up, and ususually connect at around 44kbps.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: ECN Slow Down - 06/26/03 10:39 PM
Paul,

Thanks for the input. I have seen some delays recently myself via cable modem connection. I was just told that the Hard drive had been racking up errors recently and may be the cause for some of the delays.

At any rate - GOOD NEWS;

I was also told that another T1 line(s) is coming soon too.(in a few weeks) That should help with conjestion if that was a factor too. [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Bill
Posted By: Nick Re: ECN Slow Down - 06/26/03 11:31 PM
Bill,
Things seemed a little slow to me last week too. I have a cable modem connection. Things are popping right up now!
Posted By: Roger Re: ECN Slow Down - 06/27/03 12:11 AM
Bill, I'm 400 miles (South GA) from where I posted from this morning, (home) and as I said, things were fine there and are popping right up here too.

Roger

[This message has been edited by Roger (edited 06-26-2003).]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: ECN Slow Down - 06/27/03 01:18 AM
Nick,

That's good to hear!

Roger,

Ditto to above. Are you on Vacation? Or does work send you that far away?

Bill
Posted By: Roger Re: ECN Slow Down - 06/27/03 01:47 AM
Bill, visiting the folks and family for a couple of days. [Linked Image] I have been sent this far for the company before, but usually not anywhere I want to go. [Linked Image]

Roger
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: ECN Slow Down - 06/27/03 03:50 AM
Have a good time!

[Linked Image]
Bill
Posted By: pauluk Re: ECN Slow Down - 06/27/03 08:14 AM
Hey Roger,

Just curious -- What part of south Ga. are you visiting?

AS you know, I traveled all around that area a few years back.
Posted By: Roger Re: ECN Slow Down - 06/27/03 01:01 PM
Thanks Bill.

Hello Paul, I'm in Lake Park about 15 miles south of Valdosta, (I-75) going down to the Gainesville FL and Cedar Key area today to visit my better halfs brother.

Bill, it's just about time for the annual vacation thread/s. [Linked Image]

Roger
Posted By: txsparky Re: ECN Slow Down - 07/10/03 01:36 AM
It is sloooowwwwwww tonite. (on DSL)
Posted By: LK Re: ECN Slow Down - 07/10/03 03:50 AM
All sites have been slow for the past few weeks. It looks like the phone pests are going to E-Mail now since the national no call list. There is a 6 X increase in our E-Mail, I just finished installing my mail pest control, filters 99% of the pests. Now only 2 or 3 E-Mails pop up rather then 40.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: ECN Slow Down - 07/10/03 10:00 AM
LK,
Yeah, I'd tend to agree.
Over the last couple of weeks, things have been real slow down here in NZ.
Even going to other sites, takes ages, these days, it's not isolated(to use an Electrical term), just to ECN!. [Linked Image]
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: ECN Slow Down - 07/10/03 11:06 AM
real slow down here in NZ

It's the cold weather--slows down the electrons.
Posted By: LearJet9 Re: ECN Slow Down - 07/12/06 09:30 PM
Maybe it's because our connection is fast but... This site is like the Slowskis, Bill & Marilyn. Every click takes way way too long!!
Posted By: Jim M Re: ECN Slow Down - 07/13/06 01:06 AM
Been very slow using DSL over the past few weeks. This site seems to be only one affected tho.

Still very slow tonight.
Posted By: pauluk Re: ECN Slow Down - 07/13/06 11:30 AM
It's zipping along as fast as ever at the moment. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: ECN Slow Down - 07/13/06 11:58 AM
When I first connect in the morning it is a tad slow, but as the day goes on it gets better.
I'm using a DSL line.
Posted By: Radar Re: ECN Slow Down - 07/13/06 02:51 PM
Just ran a quick test, took me nearly 15 seconds to reload the "General Discussion" page of topics. Most of that time it appears to be waiting for "my turn" to come, and when my turn finally comes - the page loads in a snap. I find this typical, although I've never tried to quantify it before.

This is true both at work (fast ethernet connected via multiple fiber T1's) and at home (dsl).

In general, the ECN response time is a little slower than some other sites I visit, but I've generally attributed that to the greater number of users (lurkers and posters) here.

Radar
Posted By: renosteinke Re: ECN Slow Down - 07/13/06 03:12 PM
The reason this happens here... and not at the other forums... is that we've got them wishing they had our membership!
Posted By: LearJet9 Re: ECN Slow Down - 07/13/06 06:10 PM
Yes, the delay is under 20 seconds. But as spoiled as this sounds... When one is accustomed to "instant" that 5, 10 or 20 seconds is... well you know what it is!
Posted By: Dnkldorf Re: ECN Slow Down - 07/14/06 03:02 AM
Here is an FYI for you guys.

My DSL was slow on ECN and a couple other sites, but would load my mail, and a couple other sites quickly.

So I put a call into my DSL service provider. He t-shot it over the phone with me, and it turns out my DSL filter for the satelite box was bad, causing the intermediate slow down.

Now I'm back to being quick everywhere....

Just a FWIW...
© ECN Electrical Forums