ECN Forum
A new 24-home "McMansion" subdivison is going up down the street from me. The homes start at $500,000.
The first one just went up (asking price $750,000) so I went in to check out the wiring. The cable runs are all very neat but upon closer inspection I found numerous violations.

-clamps broken off in multigang plastic boxes.
-18 cubic inch boxes with 3 12/2's in them.
-other over-filled 18 c.i. boxes (at least 10 of them)
-#14 used as "taps" for outlets on 20 amp circuits.
-Multiwire circuit neutrals not spliced (ie, outlet will splice the neutral once installed)
-Bath outlet tapped off dining room circuit.
-2 conductor cable used for travellers.
-orange wirenuts used to connect 3 or more #14's.

Other non-violations include no overhead lights in bedrooms (just a few switch controlled outlets) and everything else done to the bare minimum.

I compared the price on a case of 18 ci boxes to 22.5 and the difference is about $15 to $30 depending on the brand.

The sad part is the job passed inspection and they're insulating and sheetrocking now. The inspectors around here just don't care because crap like this passes all the time.

Oh well, I guess some things will never change. [Linked Image]

-Peter
Peter, it's like buying tennis shoes. Pay $20.00 or $150.00, they are the same material and assembly method. [Linked Image]

Roger
Why not voice your concerns with the Chief Electrical Inspector? Maybe he/she does not realize what his inspectors under him are allowing.
Peter
Call the inspector & tell him/her that you are making an anonomous complaint, be specific as to the violations/deficiencies. In my towns I/we will respond to these complaints with a visit to the site.
Remember that many cities/towns have the 3 hat inspectors. Most of these 3 hat persons have a building background and no electric, plumbing, mechanical background. It scares the crap out of me that these people are authorized (I did not say qualified ) to perform inspections in areas out of their expertise.
I know since "The Station" fire we are spending some more time at inspection sites. Too bad it takes a tragedy like that to make changes. Did you know anyone involved in that?
Good luck
Rick
Here is a link to some information that you can use to find out who is in charge in that area:
http://www.state.ct.us/dps/dfebs/osbi/Lbo/index.htm
-18 cubic inch boxes with 3 12/2's in them.

Just my 2-cents, from my numbers the 18ci box would not be overstuffed.
6- (no.12s) x 2.25 = 13.5 cu.in
1- ground X 2.25 = 2.25 cu.in
1- receptacle yoke = 2.25 cu.in
This is exactly 18 cubic inches.

I know it sounds like Nit-picking but if you take this anywhere, you have to be as right as can be. I was a witness for a plaintiff and was deposed(had to sear under oath) and the whole thing got real nasty. They call their experts, you would call your experts.
Because there is a third party that could likely take exception to what you claim and that is the contractor who did the job.

Wm.Colt
wocolt,
The yoke of the receptacle requires a double volume allowance...2.25x2=4.5. This would require a larger box. Not to mention,that the installer may be going to try and cram a GFCI receptacle in there. [Linked Image]
TXsparky
You are absolutely correct my mistake, and my apologies to CTwireman too.
I have been in that situation where a complaint to someone who would, NOT only listen but do something about it, is still valid.
And wish him all the luck with this endeavor.

Wm.Colt
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I'll see if I can contact the "powers that be" and hopefully something will change. It seems so hard to fight the system sometimes but I sure would like to try.

Kind of a related question: Where has the pride in one's workmanship gone?? The mistakes I saw in that house are the rule, not the exception, I'm sorry to say. Many electricians just don't seem to know the basics. How did this happen???

I used to work for a company that wired homes like this so I know firsthand they won't change until an inpector tells them to. I had it out with the boss one day about a really bad job they did on a service and I quit a day later.

Rick,
actually, I did know someone whose friend died at The Station. I was living in RI at the time the fire happened. I'm glad to hear that inpections are getting tougher, but you're right, it takes a pile of bodies before things change. [Linked Image]

WmColt,
No need to aplogize. [Linked Image] I'm just venting some frustration about how how around here most electricians think the 18 cubic inch box is the only one they make.

Peter
Peter
If you are going to procede, be sure of the code articles, you want to refer the official to the art you are concerned with. If it is over just 2 or 3 overloaded receptacle boxes, I would not bother. If there are a lot of overloaded boxes go for it. As an inspector I generally let a few slightly overloaded boxes go, especially if they are receptacle outlet boxes that are not likely to hold a GFI device later, or a switch box that will not hold a dimmer. If the box is likely to hold a dimmer or a GFI receptacle, I will make them change it.
2 wire travelers do NOT fly with me, rip it out & install the correct cable. It is so easy to mix up the neutrals using this method.
Out of couriosity, is it a RI company doing the electric on these shacks?
Rick
When I do a rough, I generally install 22cu. inch boxes where the switches are going to go. As a habit, all ceiling boxes,where a fan might go are Fan rated. All smokes are 4" metal rounds. A few extra bucks here and there are well worth it. I also like to see all the cables flat. I think when you try to be neat, it can become a good work habit. When the walls are open is the time for us to show our work and the pride we have.
CT,- 2 wire traveler a violation??????
zapped208,
I believe CT is referring to 300.3(B) Conductors of the Same Circuit
Hey CT,

You posted, ..."No overhead lights in bedrooms...", Am I missing somehing? Is that a problem?

HE
Hello Harold, I kind of wondered that myself, but figured this must be a local issue.

Roger
Roger,Harold,
CT stated that this was not a violation. Only a switched receptacle would be required by the NEC, but for $750,000 I would be expecting to see alot more than a switched outlet for a lamp. Such as recessed cans,cove lighting, and a ceiling fan or two!!

[This message has been edited by txsparky (edited 06-23-2003).]
Donnie, thanks for pointing that out, and my appologies Peter for not reading closer. [Linked Image]

Roger
txsparky,- IMO,a 2wire traveler is not a violation,300.3B states "and where used",you do not need the grounded conductor if you are not using it. E.Gnd yes.
Re the 2 wire traveller issue. I have followed the debates on this topic here and else where and the general concensus is that this is wrong. As Rick mentioned this practice usually involves "neutral borrowing."

It may be code legal by some interpretations but I doubt it. Besides that, most people do this to save on 14/3 or 12/3 which is pretty lame, IMO.

Rick G,

No, not an RI company this time, though when I was in RI there were plenty of companies that did the "2 wire travellers."

tx,
Yeah, I expected a little bit more lighting and fan boxes for that price too.

It seems like the electrical work is always the job that gets skimped the most. They never cut corners on the plumbing in these houses!! [Linked Image]

Peter

[This message has been edited by CTwireman (edited 06-24-2003).]
I just walked thru a $600K home. It was having the mechanicals roughed in. The bathroom exhaust fans were the $10 Home Depot special, noisy and only 50cfm. The windows were vinyl inside and out.

At that price point I would certainly want more for my dollar. I don't know if they even offer a structured wiring package.
CT,- You are not neutral borrowing when you loop your feeds from box to box of the same circuit,that the 3 way is on. You feed the 3 way in one box and take sw leg from the other box. FWIW,I do not do it this way,but it is code legal.
Zapped208, you are correct that this wiring method is no problem if the wiring method is non metalic. I would also say that this would be resource conservation awareness. [Linked Image]

To use natural resources for the vulgar display of wealth is wrong too. [Linked Image]

Roger
I see this type of sloppy junk work all the time. Workman like manner is thrown out for cheap price that the GC demands. Most of the companies who do that type of work are the ones busy around here.
A sorry mess of junk waiting for the home owner to get stuck with large repair bills in a few years. [Linked Image]
This situation comes down to training or lack of training! Sometimes it is not the man in the field who is totally to blame. The contractor hires him/her and in a short amount of time sends them out to work without fully training them because they are 'so busy', and have to finish.Ultimately the contractor or license holder is to blame. I PERSONNALLY believe that money or time should not justify the 'POOR QUALITY' work we sometimes see.
BUT.... I also have to say in the same breath that I have also seen some excellent work out there that anyone would be proud to say was his/hers!!!

Keep up the good work to those who do it.

Thinking out loud... maybe the complaining about lousy work can be turned into a positive and people can start to help train others??? ... I am myself just starting to do this myself.

Pierre
© ECN Electrical Forums