ECN Forum
Take a look at http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=110-439
You do get 1$ off per unit in quantity....

There's no mention if it is UL approved or not [Linked Image]
[Linked Image from partsexpress.com]

$147 ??

i wonder how they are selling?
I don't think there is a need for a listing, there are probably none installed at $147.00. I mean unless you are buying a quantity to get the discount, [Linked Image] who could afford one.

Roger
Looks like the price went down a bit since the December, 2002 discussion [Linked Image]

P. S. Check out the 24 carat gold plated pliers (2nd photo from the top).

[This message has been edited by ThinkGood (edited 06-04-2003).]
There’s one hitch. You have to hook it up with QuadroKevulon-Sheathed Argon-Free Yttrium-Silver type ZHHHQ wire. {$47 a foot for 7¼-AWG.} Audiophool, indeed.
The mounting strap, rivets and grounding strip are gold plated, solid brass.

How could this possibly improve the performance of the receptacle? [Linked Image]
But, even if I buy ZHHHQ wire, I've still got a #6 Al service drop to my place [Linked Image] which will have to be replaced, along with the xfrmr, distribution lines, etc.
Nick, maybe the gold improves the grounding path for that "hard fault" which is bound to happen when the phool makes his own power supply cord?
That's funny....

these discussions mirror what I've been seeing on the Use-Net newsgroup rec.antiques.radio+phono

hehehehe....

I'm all in favor of using hospital, spec and industrial grade receptacles in residential settings (last receptacle you'll ever buy), but this is just too damned much.

Is there an "official" designation for "Audio Grade" receptacles or was that blue star just someone's funky marketing tool?

I know the green dot is the industry standard designation for a hospital-grade wiring device.
Did somebody mention a gold transformer?
[Linked Image from 65.108.216.53]
"...Oxygen-free copper plating."(from wa2ise's link)

Sounds like the designers/marketers of these receptacles are "oxygen-free" as well" [Linked Image].

I wonder how much a solid gold transformer would cost anyway... [Linked Image]

Mike (mamills)
It's getting weirder by the day… Get yer own tube amplifiers with silver-winding output transformers http://www.audio-consulting.ch/SilverSEOPTforeverybody.htm
The manufacturers web site also does not mention UL. http://www.wattgate.com/prod-381.htm

Also, check out the cord ends! A bargain at $78.00 [Linked Image]
Did they go on sale on April 1, 20xx ?
OK, I e-mailed them and asked for listing info. If they respond I will buy: WHAT AM I SAYING, I wont buy anything from them, well, I just can't seem to get over the quantity discount, so who knows. [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Roger
I take it that none of the people buying these would dream of plugging in anything other than the audio equipment? So what on earth are they running that needs 20A receptacles?! If they need that much power I wouldn't want to be a neighbor!

Sound quality is stunning while price is even more!

Stunning price indeed!

Price for standard version: CHF 2400.00/pair
That's over $1800 a pair. Still, it's comforting to know that the frequency response is at least three times higher than that of my ears:

Band pass with 300B at 3 watts: 12Hz to 60 KHz
This was posted to a 4DTV(big dish, digital receiver) board I frequent.
"
Being into hometheater and especially music, I`ve been tweaking my system for some time now. Lately I`ve been doing IEC terminal installations on my Sony XBR tv, Yamaha 6.1 digital A/V receiver, Sony DVD, and Velodyne subwoofer. I`ve replaced all those "lampshade" cords with high quality shielded power cords with fantastic results. Well, I finally came to my DSR-922, the source of my entertainment but alas, a IEC installation wasn`t possible. Fortunately I was able to work around that with a handy little adapter called the Icecube from www.dedicatedaudio.com that will convert those little 2 prong outlets on the 4DTV, DVD, DSR, etc to an IEC outlet. This allowed me to purchase one more power cord from Chris VanHaus at www.venhaus1.com . You know, considering that power cords are excellent antennas for picking up unwanted EMI/RFI interference, it amazes me that the manufacturers don`t shield their P/C`s.
FYI, everything in my HT system is plugged into a BPT balance power conditioner that cleans the grunge out of your romax.You can read all about what this amazing conditioner does at www.b-p-t.com . The shielded power cords keep the power free of interference to your components. I don`t mind the naysayer`s out there with their "bridges". I know what I have and how I got it. I`ve had my setup since 85 and it has never performed up to the level that it does now. My rear speakers have been with me from the beginning and they have never sounded soooo good. Just depth,,,,, that of a bottomless well.And my upgraded power cords had their place in makng this happen! "

So if you think folks won't buy that outlet, think again [Linked Image]
wal—That “DIY Cat5 Speaker Cable” is to die for!
And don't forget the cryogenically treated icecube adapter from dedicated audio http://www.icecubeadapter.com/pages/1/index.htm ! [Linked Image]

Even better! This Hubbell 5362GY for ONLY $45.95! Without cryogenic treatment this item lists for $19.10, your cryogenic treatment is only $26.85 for each receptacle. A steal if there ever was one. [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by kale (edited 06-06-2003).]
That "icecube" looks like something I'd find at a dollar store.....or Odd-Job kind of place... [Linked Image]
Seriously though,
Can you actually tell the DIFFERENCE (or improvement) in sound quality after fitting this sort of equipment?.
I once installed a 16mm feed from a switchboard to a guys stereo system and a whopping great Industrial plug and socket.
Why?, because he reckoned the small(2.5mm) cable was affecting his stereo frequency-response!. [Linked Image]
It is an outstanding example of “the emperor’s new clothes.” Self proclaimed golden-ear listeners in all but rare cases honestly can’t tell the difference {or compare the “new” to an obvious P-O-S} but having spent $148 on some new gizmo, they will defend its virtue to the end, or until the time they buy something to replace it that’s “even better.”

{ http://www.deoxy.org/emperors.htm }
I think I will install these all through my house.

I sure it will help my refrigerator cool better and my washer wash better.

And what it will do for my TV will just be outstanding. [Linked Image]

Maybe me and Roger can purchase them at the same time to get the quantity discount. [Linked Image]
Hello Bob, you can count me in if we can find a financial establishment to hold the note. [Linked Image]

Roger

[This message has been edited by Roger (edited 06-07-2003).]
Doesn't the receptacle’s exclusive Audio Grade Blue Star make it all worth the investment?
The Blue Star is pretty cool.

But an image of PT Barnum would be more appropriate.

Or just a green $ sign

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 06-07-2003).]
Bob, now that you bring up PT Barnum, I seem to remember that John Ringling only had $304.00 cash to his name at the time of his death. I wonder if he had bought a bunch of the early versions of this device for his residence. [Linked Image]

Roger

[This message has been edited by Roger (edited 06-07-2003).]
Another post from the same guy who posted about taking the grunge out of romex [Linked Image], BTW probably a salesman but good for a laugh [Linked Image]
"
LOL, ok all you naysayers, time to come out of the woodwork again, I got another 4 DTV tweak for ya`all, and it`s much better than my power cord upgrade. (a excellent tweak in it`s own right) This tweak comes from Stillpoints called ERS. More detailed information and possible usage of this product can be found at www.audio-buff.com or www.cyrotweaks.com . In short, this is a 8"x11" sheet of paper with metal fragments imbedded. This remarkable product diffuses & repells EMI and RFI interference. When I first received a sheet, I simply placed it under my 922 and within 30 seconds, my picture became more intense with brilliant colors. On a digital music channel, the highs became noticeably clearer.(enough explanation Lee?) Well after ordering more of these adhesive backed sheets ($19.95ea. or $29.95 w/adhesive-backing), I took the cover off my 922 and preceeded to cover the total inside cover with ERS. I cut strips to fit in between every vent slot on the sides and top. That`s ALLOT of strips, it took a little over 1 sheet to complete. But when I was finished, the results were very rewarding. This stuff IS the real deal, enough so that I plan to do the same for my digital receiver and my balanced power conditioner. I`ve bought 4 sheets ($120) at this point and I`m not done yet. I found the surrounding the speaker terminals with a 1/2" thick bullseye had a noticable effect. This ERS is powerfull stuff, a little goes a long ways and too much will have a dulling effect. It seems to work best on digital sources verses analog. But with the 4DTV, it worked it`s magic on both. In fact, my digital channels have never looked better and I`m not a real big fan of digital to begin with as I feel an analog picture is much superior. So there you have it, now have your fun at me again if you must but if you don`t try Stillpoints ERS, it`s YOUR loss."

While not just use aluminum foil, I can buy a half mile for what it cost for a sheet of that special paper. Most of the posters on this board are trying to sell the guy swampland or a bridge [Linked Image]
But an image of PT Barnum would be more appropriate
[Linked Image from ezine.com]
I think the famous quote of this gentleman sums it up pretty well!

I'm sure that for some of the people having spent big $$$$ on snake-oil, they will talk themselves into believing that they can hear a huge improvement.

They really need a "double-blind" test, where they hear the system before and after and aren't told which is which of course.

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 06-08-2003).]
There seems to be no limit to the gullibility of the committed audiophools.

A few years back, there was a guy by the name of Tice who was selling a magic digital clock that would work wonders when plugged into the outlet powering the sound system. It was claimed to "realign the electrons" coming from the outlet, greatly reducing "grunge" while improving "soundstage" and "presence"!

It turns out that this clock (selling for a few hundred bucks) was simply a $15 Radio Shack item that Mr. Tice had "specially treated" and resold.

The Tice clock and other such audiophoolishness ($1000/foot speaker cables, anyone?) were the subject of a great column by Bob Pease in Electronic Design, available online at:
http://www.elecdesign.com/Globals/PlanetEE/Content/768.html
© ECN Electrical Forums