ECN Forum
Posted By: LuminateME1 You tell me? - 05/22/03 04:14 AM
Can an apprentice bid for a job? One guy told me that he's going to bid for a job. This made me laugh, because I never heard of it. I mean: What about insuring his work. Can an apprentice bid against contractors?
Posted By: mlk682 Re: You tell me? - 05/22/03 04:48 AM
He won't be an apprentice after he is caught.....They don't realize the throat they are cutting is there own...Wait and see.
Posted By: stamcon Re: You tell me? - 05/22/03 05:28 AM
Luminate, are contractor or business licenses required where you are?
Posted By: Trumpy Re: You tell me? - 05/22/03 06:12 AM
Why shouldn't an apprentice be allowed to bid?.
Provided that someone checks it before it is submitted.
I regularly get apprentices to do a sort of draft quote for jobs, to see how much they've picked up about wiring, etc.
It's the only way to teach them, actually doing it!. [Linked Image]
Posted By: stamcon Re: You tell me? - 05/22/03 06:34 AM
Trumpy, I think the apprentice is bidding the job for himself, not for the company that employs the apprentice.
Posted By: Big A Re: You tell me? - 05/22/03 11:29 AM
Hello All,

Here in Virginia, you have to have a contractors license to even pull a permit. To have a contractors license, you have to have a master license. This applies to all jobs $1,000 and above but you still have to have a masters to pull permits.
Posted By: walrus Re: You tell me? - 05/22/03 12:12 PM
Don't you bid for a job in a union?
Posted By: Trumpy Re: You tell me? - 05/25/03 02:11 AM
stamcon,
Well that's a totally different kettle of fish.
I wouldn't condone that, because with the apprentice not being licenced, it's pretty much the same as Joe Homeowner bidding for the job.
Posted By: LuminateME1 Re: You tell me? - 05/28/03 01:30 AM
I said the same thing Trump! It made me laugh to hear an apprentice actually stating such a thing. Heck, we would all be doing it! What's the use of working for someone else, if we can bit as apprentice! LOL OH well! [Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums