ECN Forum
Posted By: Nick California State Exam - 05/15/03 03:08 AM
Hey everyone,
Just checking in and to say I passed California’s new general journeyman electricians exam last Monday. [Linked Image] I can now say that I am licensed. (For whatever that is worth)
Posted By: Bjarney Re: California State Exam - 05/15/03 03:17 AM
Congrats, Nick. That's a feather in your cap.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: California State Exam - 05/15/03 03:18 AM
Nick,

Good Deal!

[Linked Image]
Bill
Posted By: caselec Re: California State Exam - 05/15/03 03:31 AM
Nick,

Congratulations!

How was the test....Easy?....Hard? Do they just give you a pass/fail or do you get your score? Is it mostly code or was there much theory?

Since I'm the owner of my company I'm not required to become certified but I'm thinking about doing it anyway just to see what its like. It would also give me a chance to see what my guys will need to know to pass.

Now I just wish the state would do a better job a verifying an applicants experience before handing out a contractors license. I have had several people apply for jobs recently that have almost no experience but have a contractors license which is supposed to require a minimum of 4 years experience at journeymen level.

Curt
Posted By: Nick Re: California State Exam - 05/15/03 03:50 AM
Thanks guys!

Curt,
The test was pretty easy. But that is relative to how much time a person spends in the code book. It wasn’t too hard for me mainly because of all the time I spend here and Mike Holt’s site. I also did some on line prep to get me looking in all those obscure areas we never use. If a guy doesn’t know his way through a code book it could be pretty tough. It’s 100 questions and you get four hours. That is about two and a half minuets per question give or take. Mostly code but there are a few general knowledge type questions. They give you your score right there. They don’t let you now which ones you missed. Only how many in which category. The key to passing: Know where to look in the code book without wasting too much time.
Posted By: electure Re: California State Exam - 05/15/03 11:50 AM
Congrats Nick!
Is all of M-M taking the test now, or just you?
I took the test a couple of months ago, and have to agree, it's fairly easy if you've kept your nose in the Code book on a regular basis.
It seems like the "seat of the pants" electricians might have quite a time with it. So far, I'm the only one in our company (about 30 guys) that has even applied. Most of the others seem to view it with dread and apprehension.
The benefits of certification won't come up 'til 2005. At this point it's just another card in the wallet. (My picture came out looking like a human Manatee)...S
Posted By: Nick Re: California State Exam - 05/15/03 11:59 PM
Thanks Scott, same to you!
There are a couple of guys that have taken it but as you said, most are very apprehensive. The shop is holding classes in the training room taught by the local 11 JATC. They are really pushing hard for everyone to get it done. The shops position is come 2005 if you are not licensed, you don’t work for us. (One more piece of paperwork to go through with new hires :rooleyes ) Even though there is absolutely no enforcement set up yet, it is a state law and the shop will comply 100%. (I think we are one of the only ones that actually comply with California wage order 16-2001. The two 10 minute rest period per 4 hours worked rule)
© ECN Electrical Forums