ECN Forum
Posted By: JCooper cable to shed - 05/13/03 02:28 PM
Hello all, hopefully this is an easy one. I am going to be installing a small shed behind my house, no more than 10' from the rear wall. Besides trenching, which I think is overkill and can't do anyway, I was thinking of an aerial run from the attic of the house, single story, to the side of the shed, maybe a disco on the outside. There would only be one small circuit for two lights and a vent fan, so I don't think I need a sub panel or ground rods. Suggestions for wiring?

Thank you, Jim

[This message has been edited by JCooper (edited 05-13-2003).]
Posted By: classicsat Re: cable to shed - 05/13/03 08:14 PM
I don't know how unorthadox this is, but run an SO extenstion cord (on a tracer, between the house and shed), plugged into the outdoor outlet on the house (with an in-use cover), with the shed wiring plugged into the
cord.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: cable to shed - 05/13/03 08:46 PM
classicsat,

We can't recommend using an extension cord as a replacement for fixed wiring.
See 400.8(1)

Bill
Posted By: JCooper Re: cable to shed - 05/14/03 02:07 PM
I had thought about just using SJOW cord to do it but I knew that was not the RIGHT way to do it, sure it would work. Do anybody know if there is such a thing as UF cable with a messenger cable to run it aerialy? Or perhaps something along the lines of service cable with ACSR but in a much smaller size, I was thinking #12 to allow for any expansion.
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: cable to shed - 05/14/03 04:51 PM
What are the requirements, if any, for lightning protection as this would be an aerial cable?
Posted By: RandyO Re: cable to shed - 05/14/03 07:44 PM
I think that the only way to do this correctly is with triplex cable ext grade..
and it starts at 8 awg and is very expensive... I looked into doing a barn or two on a farm once...

[This message has been edited by RandyO (edited 05-14-2003).]
Posted By: JCooper Re: cable to shed - 05/14/03 08:23 PM
Is it possible to run something like seal-tight, ot other flexible duct out to it? I have some 1" tube exterior grade for running fiber in, I guess this would violate its listing. This is only a 10' run max, I would rather do this right than just run a piece of NM-B from the attic to the shed, which I would not even consider. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Posted By: Bjarney Re: cable to shed - 05/14/03 09:16 PM
See 1999 NEC Article 321 — Messenger Supported Wiring. {Note other articles for overhead clearance and other restrictions.}
Posted By: Redsy Re: cable to shed - 05/15/03 10:41 AM
Why do you think trenching is overkill?
You can't use portable cords or "aerial tubings".
I don't think quadruplex or triplex would cost that much for such a short span.
That is the right way.

[This message has been edited by Redsy (edited 05-15-2003).]
Posted By: JCooper Re: cable to shed - 05/15/03 03:18 PM
The reason I can't trench is that there is some HVAC equipment between the shed and house and also the fact that I rent the house, I have permission from the landlord to do all the work but I don't think she would appreciate a trench installed for a small non-permant shed.

Bjarney, I don't have a copy of the NEC handy, its at home, is there anything in there allowing me to attach UF to a messenger wire?
Posted By: kale Re: cable to shed - 05/15/03 04:22 PM
JC,
I don't know how available it is, but Rome Cable shows
"ROME COPPER WEATHERPROOF LINE WIRE POLYETHYLENE OR XLP COVERED
APPLICATION:For use on insulators for overhead circuits."
It goes as small as 10ga. From the specs http://www.romecable.com/Catalog.htm (See spec 1215)it appears to not need a messenger.

To answer your other question, Rome also has this coated MC:
"ROME INTERLOCKED ARMOR POWER CABLE,600 VOLTS
3 Conductor,Rome-XLPE Insulated,Aluminum or Steel Armor Type MC
APPLICATION:
As 600 volt Type MC cable rated 90C in wet or dry locations;for installation aerially or in metal rack,tray,trough,cable trays,or direct buried" (See spec 7455)
Posted By: kale Re: cable to shed - 05/15/03 04:25 PM
If you put wheels on your shed, you could plug it in as a RV.
Posted By: electrician02125 Re: cable to shed - 05/15/03 07:03 PM
Or you could just run an extension cord when you needed it. Is the required power outlet near the HVAC equipment?

I would be hesitant to do any electrical work in a rental piece of property.

What if???
Posted By: JCooper Re: cable to shed - 05/16/03 12:11 PM
I like the RV idea, that may just work.... I could run an extension cord but that would get ugly when they come to mow the lan, and there is no recipticle on the HVAC equipment. As for doing work on the house, a poorly trained monkey could do better electrical work that what has been done here, no GFI in the bathroom, the outlet about two feet from the sink was even eired with the ECG as the neutral, the white was used for a switch leg. I also have permission to do electrical work, it follows the '02 code, I think NJ is still on the '96 code. The reason I would like power in the shed is for a vent fan in the ceiling, I plan on storing two kayaks in it and the fan would help move the air to let everything dry properly, especially in the summer.
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: cable to shed - 05/16/03 03:07 PM
Table 396.10(A) permits the use of UF on a messenger support cable.
Don
Posted By: JCooper Re: cable to shed - 05/16/03 06:03 PM
Thank you Don, does it outline how to attach to the messenger cable? I don't have my NEC handy. Is it as simple as using outdoor rated tywraps or do I have to wrap another wire around both to join them?
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: cable to shed - 05/16/03 09:13 PM
JC,
The code does not specify the method to attach the UF. I would see no problem with sunlight resistant wire ties.
Don
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: cable to shed - 05/16/03 10:07 PM
You have to keep in mind the clearance from ground required in 225.18 too. You may need a Mast.

Bill
Posted By: JCooper Re: cable to shed - 05/19/03 02:14 AM
I think you all for your help, I think I am going to go with the messenger cable with UF either tie-wrapped or wrapped to it. Is there any listing to be concerned with as far as the messenger? Can I use normal steel cable, in the area of 1/4"? I will be sure and keep it about 10' as per 225.18 and will bond it to the EGC. Also will run pipe, schd 40 pvc, up to where it attaches to the shed, put on a weatherhead and run into a disco. Sound good? Again, I think you all for your help.
© ECN Electrical Forums