ECN Forum
Posted By: aldav53 Romex outdoors - but not really outdoors - 05/12/03 11:42 PM
I know we have talked about this before but thought I'd bring it up again. I can't see any reason why we can't run romex under an eve or up under a patio cover behind the studs (where it would be behind the drywall if there was drywall there) in a home, as long as it is not subject to mechanical damge or out in the weather. Especially here in AZ where its dry most of the time. Years ago back in Mich., we used run romex in unfinished residential garages and it was legal.
It could be run in UF to make it better too.
It's not a violation, but should be UF if a wet location. It just looks like crap.
Posted By: aldav53 Re: Romex outdoors - but not really outdoors - 05/13/03 04:23 AM
If its tucked up in there (and or) run nice and straight it looks ok I think. Although a nice clean run of emt is a bit cleaner.
53,- #1 Resi garages that are unfinnished are protected from the elements, so RX is o.k. #2 RX is not to installed in wet locations. #3 A yellow Seathed 12 RX would not looked very good stapled to the side of the house where you can see it. #4 It would more professinal just to sleeve it pvc or emt.
Posted By: aldav53 Re: Romex outdoors - but not really outdoors - 05/13/03 02:49 PM
I believe its ok to run romex in emt just for mechanical protection.
Yes, the yellow #12 romex would look bad.
© ECN Electrical Forums