ECN Forum
Posted By: sparky Another "do you" loop wires - 06/28/01 12:11 AM
On a RX job, do you go straight into a box, or leave a service loop outside of it??

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Redsy Re: Another "do you" loop wires - 06/28/01 01:12 AM
Sparky,

Are you referring to some slack cable (service loop)outside the box?
Posted By: armelect Re: Another "do you" loop wires - 06/28/01 01:40 AM
New construction I`v always came straight in, but old work i may leave a loop.
Posted By: Fred Re: Another "do you" loop wires - 06/28/01 01:44 AM
I always pulled the romex so I had 12" sticking out of the device box, stapled it 6" from where it entered the box, then pulled back a "bubble" leaving 6" extending free from the front of the box. Just in case the drywallers hooked a wire and chewed it up.
Posted By: sparky Re: Another "do you" loop wires - 06/28/01 10:17 AM
Redsy;
yes, for the same reason Fred mentions, as well as the possible movement of boxes due to 11th hour redesigns.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Another "do you" loop wires - 06/28/01 01:39 PM
And --- you can be sure the next guy 30 years from now will say nice things about you for the extra slack, especially after the previous 6 owners clipped the wires shorter than 6 inches!

I always left slack in the space above the ceiling.

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 07-28-2002).]
Posted By: Redsy Re: Another "do you" loop wires - 06/28/01 02:04 PM
Is there any code reference on this? I don't think so, but, someone I know insists there is. He can't find it though.
Posted By: sparky Re: Another "do you" loop wires - 06/28/01 11:01 PM
Redsy,
there is for every wiring method, 336-18 asks to secure 12" before box entry, so we just move the staple closer to the box and take advantage of this.
Of interest, kinda goes with Joe's response would be 336-12 EX #2, which is actually asking for a 'loop' .

[Linked Image]
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Another "do you" loop wires - 06/28/01 11:31 PM
OK, I thought I had read somewhere that it said something like "...12 inches as measured along the length of the cable..." but I'll be dipped if I can find it. (I have been looking...)

Perhaps it was in the ROP's?

This little difference would render the extra cable as a violation, no matter how close the staple was...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Redsy Re: Another "do you" loop wires - 06/29/01 12:23 AM
Originally posted by sparky:I know the exception you are referring to, however, I believe this pertains to a special type of device that requires no box. I saw a picture of them once. You leave a loop of rx sticking out of the wall and use a special tool to install the switch or receptacle onto the cable. I think I saw it in a code handbook sometime, but never in the flesh.
Redsy,
there is for every wiring method, 336-18 asks to secure 12" before box entry, so we just move the staple closer to the box and take advantage of this.
Of interest, kinda goes with Joe's response would be 336-12 EX #2, which is actually asking for a 'loop' .

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Another "do you" loop wires - 06/29/01 01:39 AM
Originally posted by sparky:
On a RX job, do you go straight into a box, or leave a service loop outside of it??

[Linked Image]
I'm not sure what you are talking about, but I'm guessing a rough-in job. Well, I would go straight into the box, because later (assuming you are talking about rough-ins)you will have to make-up your landed romex. By code, you must have 6 inches of conductor in the box (I think starting your measurement from the back of the box). Yet, I usually cut my wire at the wrist, after pushing a portion of it to the back of the box.

I hope this helps!
© ECN Electrical Forums