ECN Forum
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Whay's Your Pet Peeve? - 03/19/03 01:44 PM
I always think about the time when I turned on a shower and found out that the handles were reversed!

I almost burned myself with the hot water! I find this situation in some of the areas around the country, not just in some the Southern areas. I look now for the H and C and their locations, some are * Cold * Hot

* Symbol for knobs.

Does anyone know if there is a national standard that gives some direction?

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 03-20-2003).]
Posted By: watthead Re: Whay's Your Pet Peeve? - 03/19/03 02:53 PM
Joe
The plumbers code as I have always heard it is: hot on the left, cold on the right, s--- don't run up hill, payday is Friday, bossman is a SOB, and if you do repair work don't bite your fingernails.
Watthead

;
Posted By: GEO Re: Whay's Your Pet Peeve? - 03/19/03 02:54 PM
UPC-1991 chapter 10 states hot on the left,it wasn't easy as i thought to find.GEO
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Whay's Your Pet Peeve? - 03/19/03 06:51 PM
Wow! Same way as here in Europe.
Any of you guys know countries where this is reversed?
Especially nice is when the taps are connected the wrong way round. Turn up blue-> ouch, hot! red-> f*ck, cold!
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Whay's Your Pet Peeve? - 03/19/03 07:47 PM
I've heard in Peru they're reversed....but I guess it all depends on who connected the pipes to where initially.

Also, Joe, a word of caution, don't depend on the little red and blue buttons. Sometimes they're reversed and sometimes they're not even there!!! Touch the faucet first. The "cold" tap is usually dripping with condensation.

Was in a restaurant bathroom last weekend....both knobs on the sink tap were marked "C"

I guess C for "Caliente" for Hot and C for "Cold" for Cold? But it was a Chinese restaurant so.... I dunno.

My pet peeve is people who install one-way American-style toggle switches upside down. Not such a big deal when it's a rocker switch though. [Linked Image]
Posted By: RandyO Re: Whay's Your Pet Peeve? - 03/19/03 09:04 PM
funny sory... true but funny.

50+ year old electrican, built his own house.

30 years later I am dateing his neice..
He starts braging that he built this house all by himself..

I blurt out .." Is that why hot is onthe right in your bathroom..."

"YES" he says "but we cant change it now"

I say..." just go under the sink and change the leads to the fauset"...
Upon our next visit... its fixed with two bran new braded hoses..

Mean while I feel like a heel for saying such a disrespectfull thing in front of his entire family at the anual reunion!!!!

BUT I TOO had created more than one "hot flushing toilet in my day !!!!!
Posted By: pauluk Re: Whay's Your Pet Peeve? - 03/19/03 10:54 PM
I don't know if it is quoted in any sort of British Standard somewhere, but here in England it is also accepted convention that hot is on the left, cold on the right. You do sometimes find a tub or basin plumbed in reverse though.

We should also spare a thought for the blind or partially sighted who cannot see the C and H markings.

Other related trivia:
Some old color-coded British faucets used green and red, rather than the blue and red which is now standard.

On older French faucets with letters, the one marked C is the hot (Chaud). The cold one if marked F (Froid).
Posted By: Electric Eagle Re: Whay's Your Pet Peeve? - 03/20/03 03:17 AM
My biggest pet peeve are Yankees finding one thing wrong and generallizing that its a Southern thing. I've lived and traveled in the South all my life and have never seen anything other than hot on left and cold on right.

My next biggest pet peeve are Yankees that move to the South and then complain about everything, yet refuse to go back. "Hey Delta flies 16 non-stop flight to New York city every day, can I buy you a one way ticket." [Linked Image]
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: Whay's Your Pet Peeve? - 03/20/03 05:52 AM
Pet Peeve:
Drivers who don't use a turn signal!

Runner up:
Drivers who pull out right in front of me, (most likely without having used a turn signal) seemingly in a big hurry, and then slow down.
Posted By: smokumchevy Re: Whay's Your Pet Peeve? - 03/20/03 11:00 AM
Right now its: Public Works ENGINEERS

I'm refitting a demolition for the 9th time in a week here all because the engineers 1 floor up insist on making decisions based on 50 yr old blueprints instead of getting off their butt and taking a peek for themselves of whats possible.

Oh well, guess I'll just keep taking out my work and taking their money. Its just that it makes it difficult to continue with quality installations when you know its going to be stripped out in the morning!! lol.

-Greg
Posted By: iwire Re: Whay's Your Pet Peeve? - 03/20/03 11:29 AM
Prints that "sneak" loads that should be Article 702 onto the Article 700 systems.

We get prints with panel schedules that show just the right loads in the emergency panel, so at plan review it goes unnoticed.

But as the job progress we find things in the notes "bring to spare breaker in emergency panel" these will be loads like registers, security rooms, computer equipment.

One job even had a nice detail sheet of coming out of an 277 volt exit signs to a small 277 to 120 volt transformer to power the alarms on the panic hardware at exit doors.
Posted By: Thom Re: Whay's Your Pet Peeve? - 03/20/03 01:12 PM
ThinkGood, I agree with you on the turn signals. Worst than not using them is turning them on when they are in the middle of the turn.

Also drivers that go down the road with just their parking lights.

Kids that think the road is a sidewalk.
Posted By: GEO Re: Whay's Your Pet Peeve? - 03/20/03 01:29 PM
mind as of yesterday,bi-lingual ballets.GEO
Posted By: sabrown Re: Whay's Your Pet Peeve? - 03/20/03 02:00 PM
GEO,
I have performed in several ballets (the next one at the end of April), and though I have wanted to make what I suppose is a funny comment at times, never yet have I heard any vocalizations meant to be heard by the audience. I suppose you are talking about opera, you know the "I sold a meatball" or something like that.
Shane
© ECN Electrical Forums