ECN Forum
Posted By: Scott35 ECN Members' Musical Instruments - 03/15/03 07:32 PM
Hey everyone,

Just found a couple pictures of my Drum Kit, so thought I would post them here.

[Linked Image]
Image #1: An overview of the kit.

It's in our Computer Room, tucked away in the Southwest corner.
Audio equipment is shown at the front-right. Audio + Video equipment is mounted on a "LAN Rack" (vertical adjustable racking assembly).

Directly behind the kit is:
<OL TYPE=A>

[*]MIDI Keyboard (hardly visible),

[*]Practice / Headphone Amp (under the keyboard),

[*]Monitor Loudspeakers (totally unviewable!),

[*]The Subpanels for this room (two square D NQOD type),

[*]5 KVA Isolation Transformer (below larger Subpanel).
</OL>

[Linked Image]
Image #2: Close-Up of the kit.

As configured here, setup as 9 Piece kit, instead of all 13 Pieces (not enough room for that!).
Ride Toms sizes: 10", 12", 13", 14" and 15".
One 18" Floor Tom.
Double Kick: Two 20" Bass Drums.
14" x 8" Snare Drum.
Remaining unused Drums; 6", 8" and 16" Ride Toms, 16" Floor Tom.

Cymbals:
14" Zildjian Platinum Hi-Hats on a Pearl Stand,
Two 16" Crash Cymbals (thin and normal),
One 16" Splash,
One 18" Meinl thin crash,
One 16" China type (located above the ride cymbal),
One 20" Ride (Zildjian normal).

Hardware: Pearl

Anyone else have pictures of your instrument(s) to post here + discuss???

Scott35
Posted By: Nick Re: ECN Members' Musical Instruments - 03/15/03 10:42 PM
Scott,
That looks eerily like mine! [Linked Image] All the way down to the color and 70’s style open bottom toms. (BTW how do you like the sound of those toms? I have found they don’t quite sound right for today’s styles but sound great when playing old 60’s & 70’s rock.)

I have almost the same set up except 24” base drums and it’s a hybrid cross of Ludwig and Slingerland drums. I to don’t have the room for everything and had it set up in a single base configuration for quite a while. I would send a pic but I pact it away a couple weeks ago due to some serious spring cleaning. I may be inspired to set it up and annoy the neighbors again soon. [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Posted By: Scott35 Re: ECN Members' Musical Instruments - 03/16/03 12:30 AM
Nick,

Is your Kit made by ROC? Mine are ROC.

Same color? Cool!!! I love this color!

As to the Concert Toms sound, when I first got the set (back in 1988-89...???) the toms sounded like ,,, errr... Poo Poo.

Went to a bunch of Libraries, checked out "Drum Tech Data" books and learned about the bearing edge principle.

So just prior to newyears 1990, created a Router Jig for use to re-cut the bearing edges and set them to a clean 45º drop and a solid 1/16" Bearing edge all around.

Replaced the stock "Tension Ball" hardware with the Standard Pearl stuff seen in the images.

Replaced all heads with Pinstripes (later much more Hydraulic heads like the Aquarian front Bass head on the left kick drum).

Man, they sounded DELUXE!!! Got many compliments on their sound!!!

The heads are extensively muffled down, otherwise they would blow the doors off!

Scott35

p.s. pull that dang kit out of storage and set that bad-boy up!!!

Ever taken your kit out to a dry lake and played?

Did this a few times, along with playing in the Canyons near me (Silverado and Santiago).
Definitely a new experience in sound!

Scott
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: ECN Members' Musical Instruments - 03/17/03 06:52 AM
[Linked Image from users.stargate.net]

Above: Custom Carvin 6-string fretless bass. Lines are fret markers and are flush with the neck (to .001"). About $1200 in 1999.

My rig is Carvin top to bottom. The strings are Carvin flat-wound medium-lights, the Bass itself, of course, the Amplifier is a Carvin 300W and the speaker is a Carvin 15" 400W. The only things not Carvin are the cords, the cabinet, and the tuner.

Above: Yamaha FG612-S 12-string Acoustic, the first guitar I purchased (not the first I owned though). Bought new in 1982 for $350.

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 03-17-2003).]
Posted By: Redsy Re: ECN Members' Musical Instruments - 03/17/03 12:09 PM
This is what I hope to buy after my renovation is complete:

[Linked Image from ludwig-drums.com]
Posted By: electure Re: ECN Members' Musical Instruments - 03/17/03 12:13 PM
I've now got a Gibson (Epiphone) SG 6string and a small Marshall amp.(Amp suggested by Virgil) Still enough to disturb the neighbors. Also, a Yamaha keyboard.
This after about a 20 yr period of having none at all.
My first guitar was a Sears "Silvertone" that I bought for $27 with money saved from my paper route in '63. Then a Strat, then a Les Paul, followed by a 1st wife. In retrospect the only things worth keeping were the Strat and the Les Paul. [Linked Image]...S
Posted By: Trumpy Re: ECN Members' Musical Instruments - 04/25/03 03:53 AM
Guys,
I have just purchased an Aria 5-string to go with my Aria IGB-30 4-string, sounds great, but the low B string could be better,
I'm looking to upgrade my amp in the near future, anyone got any suggestions?.
I've got this no-name amp at the moment and it can't seem to cope with the lower frequencies of my 5-string.
Posted By: CTwireman Re: ECN Members' Musical Instruments - 04/25/03 05:13 PM
Scott,

Your set kind of puts my Mapex 5-piece to shame. It looks like you have real heavy-metal set up going there, with the all the cymbals and rack toms.

Do I see a working space violation in front of those panels? [Linked Image] How does that saying go...The mechanic's car, the electrician's house.... [Linked Image]

Peter
Posted By: mamills Re: ECN Members' Musical Instruments - 04/25/03 07:45 PM
Virgil: Is that your "Fat Headed Monster" logo on your Yamaha? My monitor resolution isn't so great...

Mike (mamills)
Posted By: Zapped Re: ECN Members' Musical Instruments - 04/26/03 01:04 AM
American built Ovatations (12 and 6 string acoustic/electric), BC Rich Mockingbird (hand built American neck-thru, vintage 1982, not that crap built later...) Carvin full stack, Tascam 688 Midistudio, Roland R-5 Drum machine (sorry guys), and effects out the ying yang...and always looking for more stuff!!
Posted By: spkjpr Re: ECN Members' Musical Instruments - 04/27/03 02:51 AM
I guess as the sole woodwind player (clarinet), I shall sit quietly in the corner.
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: ECN Members' Musical Instruments - 04/27/03 03:51 AM

spkjpr, I play the fife (and penny whistle) too!

mamills, yes, good eye! That is an original Fat Headed Monster sticker from about 1997.
Posted By: Wirenuttt Re: ECN Members' Musical Instruments - 05/01/03 12:28 AM
Nice to see fellow musicians. I own a 71 les paul deluxe, fender strat.
Crate amp and a new line6 which I think is the best amp on the market right now, the amp can simulate old fender, messaboogie, marshall and other amps with a warm tube sound even though it's solid state. We recently finished building and wiring a recording studio in my basement. Picked up a 16 track digital recorder and chained it to a 16 channel mackie mixer. Made a drum room, a instrument room and the control room. Having a lot of fun, had my brother sparky from VT down recently and he was playing bass with us.

[This message has been edited by Wirenuttt (edited 05-01-2003).]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: ECN Members' Musical Instruments - 07/04/03 04:54 AM
Guys,
If you play a stringed instrument, that uses wound strings, don't throw them old strings out!!.
Instead, rejuvenate them, how you ask?.
Well,I've used D'Addario(sp?) Bass strings for years and while these are quite expensive here in NZ, I read about how to give your old strings, a new lease of life.
  • Get an old pot, don't use copper and for Godsakes, don't use the best cook-wear at home, you WILL lose Browney points for this!.
  • Coil your strings up in the manner that they were, when you took them out out of the packet when you brought them.
  • Put about 2-3" of water in the pot and boil, drop the strings in the water, boil for 5-10 minutes(or until tender) [Linked Image].
  • Remove strings and place on a bed of paper towels and pat dry.
  • Spray strings with CRC or WD-40, like lubricant.
  • Store until ready to use.

Hope that this keeps the cost of replacing strings down! [Linked Image]
Posted By: BuggabooBren Re: ECN Members' Musical Instruments - 07/04/03 06:12 AM
... Add salt to taste, fluff with a fork and bon appetite! [Linked Image]

I have a Cable-Nelson upright piano and a couple of low-bid acoustic guitars (one for me and a child-size for my son) that we are hoping to learn with. My dad is a self-taught musician who can play almost any instrument - trumpet, piano, guitar, mandolin, banjo, harmonica and calliope are some I've enjoyed watching and listening to him play. My brother and his two sons are accomplished guitarists. One of his boys also plays drums and we're ready for him to teach my son drums, too. (I guess... if anyone is ever ready to have their son learn to play the drums...)
Posted By: Trumpy Re: ECN Members' Musical Instruments - 07/04/03 08:13 AM
Bren,
I moved out to the rural area of Ashburton, so that I could play my Drums, without the neighbours complaining, which doesn't happen now, as my nearest neighbour lives about half a mile away!. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 07-04-2003).]
Posted By: Scott35 Re: ECN Members' Musical Instruments - 07/07/03 06:40 AM
CT Wireman,

Do I see a working space violation in front of those panels? [Linked Image]

Man, you caught me!!! [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Actually, there is plenty of free space in front of the panels... if the box fan is moved [Linked Image]
The breakers are readilly accessable, and there's a good 3 feet open area behind the drum kit.
Now, to get to the subpanels, that's another story! [Linked Image]
Need to squeeze between the cymbal stand(s), the audio equipment rack and finally that one speaker box, in order to get behind the kit.

Just like any other drum kit, the challenge is to get behind it without injuring yourself or knocking things over - then one may sit down and start playing!

Also, applying Murphy's Law as required, the only location in the room with ample free space - which is not going to bother anyone else or block normal traffic flow in/out of the room - is of course where the Electrical Equipment is located! Hence, the drums are therefore ordered to be in that corner!

Great eye, CT!!! Glad you mentioned this!

Scott35

BTW, happy to see this thread is still active and to see more members are musically inclined!

We need to setup a "Virtual Jam" sometime [Linked Image]

Scott
Posted By: Trumpy Re: ECN Members' Musical Instruments - 07/12/05 01:31 PM
Scotty,
I've been burning to add a reply to this thread, half of the problem was finding it.
I'll upload a pic of my drum-kit next week, but in the mean-time, here is my 5-string Bass.

[Linked Image]

BTW Electure, I want to see your guitars too!. [Linked Image]

You think the price of gas is expensive?.
Try re-stringing one of these things!. [Linked Image]

BTW, I P/Shopped that photo, that is not my Shag-pile rug that the bass is sitting on.

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 07-16-2005).]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: ECN Members' Musical Instruments - 07/12/05 01:45 PM
Anyone else care to send pics in?
You can send them to whoever you like or to me or Bill. [Linked Image]
Posted By: IanR Re: ECN Members' Musical Instruments - 07/12/05 01:48 PM
Used to have a set much like Scott's also had a trio of roto-toms. Sounded wierd but also kinda cool. To change thier pitch you rotated the the whole drum. Wish I had pictures.
Posted By: e57 Re: ECN Members' Musical Instruments - 07/12/05 11:57 PM
My musical instrument (currently) is this computer I am typing on now, and some really expensive software by Cakewalk, and Sonic Foundry. Sequencers, drum machines, and mixing boards, at my finger tips. I here stuff I like, and sample and remix it to death. Boring huh?

When I was younger I used to play guitar, but all sounded like Sonic Youth unintentially.
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: ECN Members' Musical Instruments - 07/13/05 08:31 PM
What, no Banjos? Must be some drop thumb boys out there somewhere?

I don't play, just like to listen to blue grass.

Alan
Posted By: livetoride Re: ECN Members' Musical Instruments - 07/13/05 11:54 PM
Have had a few good guitars but they got stolen. Now have a cheap Gibson electric knock off with a Crate and Gorilla amp. and a couple cheap acoustics. Also a Yamaha keyboard mid price range. I play mostly "crock" (country rock) Skynard, Marshall Tucker etc. but dabble in blues, bluegrass, country, rock. I can play the notes OK but don't have the music in me to be a musician. Rod
Posted By: DougW Re: ECN Members' Musical Instruments - 07/14/05 01:03 PM
[Linked Image from oscarschmidt.com]

Oacar Schmidt Autoharp.

Learned to play it back in grade school. The folks bought one for me, but several strings broke while tuning it. It sat unused for several years before being donated to our church. Another neglected instrument - like piano, violin, clarinet, guitar, and everything else I'd taken lessons for in my childhood.

A few years later (OK... about 20) I wanted to pick up an instrument again. I picked this one. It's easy to play (although difficult to play well) and sing along with.
Posted By: Creighton Re: ECN Members' Musical Instruments - 07/14/05 02:41 PM
From 1936 to 1955 I played saxaphone on casual engagements in San Francisco.
Then learned the bagpipes and became the Pipe Major of the Berkeley Canadian Legion Pipe Band for a few years.
Now I just sit back and listen. Love Dixieland.
Creighton.
Posted By: IanR Re: ECN Members' Musical Instruments - 07/14/05 04:02 PM
"What, no Banjos? Must be some drop thumb boys out there somewhere?"

On that note, got any fiddlers here?
I don't play one, but along with banjo they make beautiful sounds.
Posted By: BigB Re: ECN Members' Musical Instruments - 07/16/05 04:14 AM
electure I remember my Silvertone... In fact now I hear they are collectors items. I now have an Alvarez with Abilone frets and a Dove. Can't play it worth a darn tho.
I've played guitar, trumpet, violin and piano, all barely. I finally found my musical talent is playing the radio, I can play that like a pro!
Posted By: Trumpy Re: ECN Members' Musical Instruments - 07/16/05 11:16 AM
IanR,
Used to have a set much like Scott's also had a trio of roto-toms

Ahh Yes the Roto-Tom, I've still got 2 of them, I just never use them on my kit any more.
Probably out of the monetary range of any EC's here, but has anyone ever tried Electronic Drums?.
Posted By: Scott35 Re: ECN Members' Musical Instruments - 07/17/05 10:57 PM
I have been toying with the idea of purchasing an Electronic Kit - as it could be played any time without annoying the Neighbors!

Played a full-Electronic Kit back in 1993. It didn't have the "Feel" of the Acoustic Kit, but the ranges and tweeks were cool!

Have heard good words about the Technology and feel of "Modern" Electronic Kits, so it's time to check into this!
Prices are more reasonable now too!

Did have an Electronic Drum Head I used for a subtile accent.
It was an old Simmons head - circa 1981, which used 64K and 128K EPROMS for voices.
Ended up giving this to my Daughter back in 1997 or 1998 (???), when She was getting serious about playing.
Best investment ever - as She has the passion big time! [Linked Image]
Man, Her meter is SOLID!!!

Must have done something right, as She has turned out to be a very good overall Musician !

Just love that type of Musician - one who will always share abilities, and can't get enough styles to try - and is totally willing to assist others when possible!

Anyhow, thanks to everyone for bringing this thread to life!
Keep up the discussions!
It is nice to see all the fellow Musicians here, and the types of Instruments played.

BTW, on the "Roto-Toms", I have messed around with them at Music Stores.

Anyone remember Octabons?
How about those floor toms with a "tuning" pedal? They give the "Fred Flintstone being kicked in the belly" sound effect! (Baaa---wwooo--mmmm).

Along these lines, what's your favorite Snare Drum type?
Field Snares (Deep and/or larger than 14")?
Piccolo Snares (Thin)?
"Standard" depth (6 to 8 inches)?

I "Worshiped" Piccolo Snares, then "Fat - Field" Snare Drums. Now I want them all!

Scott35
Posted By: electure Re: ECN Members' Musical Instruments - 07/18/05 12:22 AM
I've added a couple more since the first time this thread went up:

[Linked Image]
SG

[Linked Image]
ES335

[Linked Image]
Telecaster

I'm really impressed with all the stuff that's available for the computer! I've got interfaces for the guitars, effects, multi track recording, loops. (not much like the old days) [Linked Image]

Trumpy, beautiful bass! (BTW, I can buy 2 complete sets of premium strings and a soda for the price of your one low B string)
Posted By: IanR Re: ECN Members' Musical Instruments - 07/18/05 11:22 AM
"but has anyone ever tried Electronic Drums?"
When I first started to play and took lessons, my teacher had an electronic set. It felt okay but still nothing like the real thing. Granted, this was about 14 years ago so, I don't know the newer electro-sets may feel better now. It was cool that you could adjust the pitch, timber and sustain by twisting a knob. Much easier than having to tighten and loosen all the lugs and still then, only have comparitivly limited control of the sound.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: ECN Members' Musical Instruments - 07/19/05 09:07 AM
(BTW, I can buy 2 complete sets of premium strings and a soda for the price of your one low B)
Look, there's just no need to be like that!. [Linked Image]
I do a lot of what you would call "Talent-Quest" band-work, now for some wierd reason, most music these days requires a 5-string bass.
I've only ever used the lower register of my basses, 4-string or other-wise, that's what a Bass is for!.
If there is anything too difficult, I'll just swap over back onto Drums with my friend Stacey.
If I can't play it, she can!. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: ECN Members' Musical Instruments - 07/19/05 09:12 AM
BTW Scott (Electure),
Absolutely beautiful guitars, mate!.
I personally like the Telecaster, if there was an option, I'd have a Les Paul!. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Megawatt Re: ECN Members' Musical Instruments - 07/21/05 01:38 AM
...a Fender P-Bass
Posted By: Trumpy Re: ECN Members' Musical Instruments - 09/25/05 09:45 AM
OK Scott,
Here it is, just before I cleaned the cymbals.
[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 09-25-2005).]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: ECN Members' Musical Instruments - 09/25/05 10:29 AM
By the way that pic was taken out out at my mates place.
From the pic:
Clockwise {Cymbals}: 14" Hi-Hat, 15" Thin Crash, 17" Crash, 19" Crash/Ride, 22" Heavy Ride, 20" Crash.
{Drums}: 13 x 7" Double Snare Drum, 14 x 6" single Snare Drum, 10" Tom, 14" Tom, 18" Tom
22" Bass Drum and one pedal.
Below, 16" Tom.
Posted By: iwire Re: ECN Members' Musical Instruments - 09/25/05 01:07 PM
Here are some of my guitars before I head onstage.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Yeah....right, only in my dreams. [Linked Image]

I tried to learn how to play an instrument.

It was painful for anyone within earshot.

BTW Those are Zak Wilde's guitars.

Bob
Posted By: Attic Rat Re: ECN Members' Musical Instruments - 09/25/05 06:20 PM
... Here's my rack,...the bottom one is a Korg SG1D 88-key weighted key sampling grand piano,(circa 1988),..the middle one is my dinosaur of the bunch,a Korg DW-8000 poly-synthesizer,(circa 1984),and the top is my fave of the bunch,an old Roland D-50,(circa 1990).I also have a Hammond C3 organ with full size Leslie cabinet,..not at home tho'..(no room).. and all this was pumped through a Peavey 4-channel amp head to an Electro-voice woofer/mid,and tweeter cabinet..They're all gathering dust now,cuz I'm no longer playing in a band,(no time),..but they are part of the family,so I'll hold on to 'em... Nice pics,you guys,..do you all still play?? [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i4.photobucket.com]

[This message has been edited by Attic Rat (edited 09-25-2005).]
Posted By: mxslick Re: ECN Members' Musical Instruments - 09/25/05 07:22 PM
I currently have in storage an old Hammond BCV tonewheel organ, awaiting restoration. It is fully functional whit the exception of the chorus generator, the coupling between the tenth wheel and the rest has broken brazing.

They built those things to last, for sure! With pedalboard, it weighs over 465lbs! And it is a major job to get to the tone generators for servicing too.

But the sound simply cannot be beat! I'm looking for a Leslie to mate to it when its restored, then I get to learn how to play it!

I also have a Beringer Eurorack MX2004A mixing board and Alesis ADAT recorder, I'm doing a soundtrack for a promotional video for the novel I'm writing.
Posted By: raider1 Re: ECN Members' Musical Instruments - 09/26/05 04:07 PM
I have a Gibson (Epiphone) Les-Paul custom sunburst, an Ibanez Black strat, and three or four different amps. I am using a Crate Mini stack until I get my Marshal half stack.

Anyone else here in a band? I have'nt been in a band for a while but want to try to start a new one.

I play anything from Stevie Ray Vaughan to AC/DC.

Chris
Posted By: Scott35 Re: ECN Members' Musical Instruments - 04/25/06 09:30 AM
***BUMP***

P.S. - Trumpy:

Sorry I did not reply to the post with your Drum Kit!

Looks like a fun kit!

Couple Questions:

Are all the Cymbals the Zildjian "K" Series, or do you have a "Variety Pack" of types and makers? (like my kit does),

How do you like the Rack System, as opposed to mounting Rack Toms on Stands?,

Is that a Remote Hi-Hat pedal, on the right side of the Kit - just above the small Tom with the pair of Sticks on it?

I have this video (practice/rudiments instructional video) of the Drummer Thomas Lang.
Man, this guy is EXCELLENT!!!
Can't wait to begin applying the lessons!!!

This dude demonstrates all kinds of great sounding fill patterns and rythyms.
Also, he demonstrates multi pedal coordination - such as how to play double kick (double bass) and add one or even two hi-hat pedals in!

Sounds so good!

Scott35
Posted By: ShockMe77 Re: ECN Members' Musical Instruments - 04/26/06 01:02 AM
Killer drum set, Scott! I've never seen this thread before today. I used to play drums when I was a teeenager and played in a "basement band" a couple of years ago with 2 of my uncles before it became too much for us and we all kinda gave it up. We played alot of Sabbath, AC/DC, Priest, Maiden, Motley, Kiss, etc.
Posted By: Romex Racer Re: ECN Members' Musical Instruments - 04/26/06 03:07 AM
Wow, Attic Rat has really got me beat, here's my Yamaha keyboard:
[Linked Image from haskinselectric.com]
© ECN Electrical Forums