ECN Forum
Posted By: Pearlfish Rotary Laser?? - 03/10/03 07:11 PM
I'm thinking of purchasing a rotary laser. Does anyone here own/use one? Do you have a preferred make or model. Are there any that I should stay away from?
Posted By: gramps Re: Rotary Laser?? - 03/10/03 10:40 PM
since i do a lot of long runs of conduit in factories and other industrial type plants, i've been using one of the laser torpedo levels. they work very well. so well, in fact, that we have several of them now. they do a good job of getting strut "trapezes" lined up and looking right too. no, i havent used one of the rotary lasers yet. are you talking about the kind the suspended ceiling guys use?

gramps
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Rotary Laser?? - 03/11/03 06:15 AM
Pearlfish,
Hi mate, these units are really EXPENSIVE,
will you use one of these enough to warrant the purchase of one?.
I have a friend who uses one, he hires them, he tells me they are really handy, but hard on batteries.
I've never really used one before, so I don't know.
What does a laser have that a string line doesn't?. [Linked Image]
Posted By: iwire Re: Rotary Laser?? - 03/11/03 02:16 PM
I own a small rotery laser (about 4"x4"x4") If you put it on the floor so the beam runs across the floor, ceiling and walls, you can move it around until you find the route with the fewest obstrutions, once you find your spot you can put all your supports up and if the ceiling has different levels the light still hits where the string would be below.

Using it the other way you set hights for whatever you are doing.
Here is a link to the one I have about $400.00
http://www.laserlevels.net/momentum.html

To be honest mine is too dim most times you need to where glass that come with it.

The Shop has a Dewalt kit which is much brighter and can be used for elevations outside with a receiver.

Here is a link to the Dewalt Kit about $1,100.00
http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/tool_detail.asp?productID=2901

The more you use it the more you will like it, and the more things you will think of to use it for.

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 03-11-2003).]
Posted By: Pearlfish Re: Rotary Laser?? - 03/11/03 05:09 PM
Besides being an industrial sparkey from 7 to 3:30 every day. I'm not too proud to admit that I use my god given skills to do various side work for people so I can make a better life for my family. I network with several other craftsmen like myself and have built a very nice clientel list. As we grow and expand I like to reinvest a portion of my extra income into new tools so as to make future jobs easier.

Recently during a remodeling job we rented a rotory laser to hang the ceiling. Like Iwire said, I could instantly see where I could use this for many other jobs. There is a button to stop the rotation so you can use it the same way gramps uses his laser level.

I clicked on the advertisement for laser levels here on ECN to the left of Trumpy's post. they had a basic model with a hard case for $240.00. That is definitely a do-able amount for the amount of time this tool could save a crew of guys.

We do a lot of custom work for well-to-do people who have more money than skills. The idea of using "laser precision" and the "impressive" factor of spinning a laser around their room will get them to open their checkbooks more. I'll probably buy the cool orange glasses for the crew to add to the "experience".
© ECN Electrical Forums