ECN Forum
Posted By: ikauffma sudsy question - 03/05/03 08:54 PM
This is probably a silly question. I am adding an outlet to a circuit in my garage. I'm putting up 1/2" plastic conduit and it will have some 45 degree bends in it to get around a drain pipe. I'm using one #12/2 NM for the new run. Is it o.k. to use just a drop of liquid soap, like Dial or something, to help get that wire through the pipe? I wasn't sure if it would harm anything or go against any code.

Thanks!

Ian
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: sudsy question - 03/05/03 08:56 PM
There is a lubricant specifically made for this purpose. I believe it's water-based so it won't damage the insulation...

I've read not to use soap or vaseline or any such make-shift pulling lubes...because they may react with the wire's insulation and slowly decay it.
Posted By: jlhmaint Re: sudsy question - 03/05/03 09:10 PM
not to mention soap will set up like concrete inside that conduit so if you ever have a problem or want to change something you are SOL!
Posted By: ikauffma Re: sudsy question - 03/05/03 09:42 PM
SvenNYC and jlhmaint;

Thanks for the info! It's only a five foot length of pipe, but I wanted to make sure I didn't cause any problems by using soap. Thanks again!

Ian
Posted By: zapped208 Re: sudsy question - 03/06/03 11:28 AM
It's not worth it to go out and buy a tube of wire pulling lube, just to sleeve a piece of NM 5 feet. Just strip most of it and it should go right through. Maybe if you know a sparky, he will give you some.
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: sudsy question - 03/06/03 12:11 PM
The UL Directory includes the following information on the type of material that should be used in order to show compliance with the requirements of the NEC.

Listed Wire-pulling Compounds

USE

This category covers wire-pulling compounds intended for use as lubricants in installing electrical conductors in raceways. These compounds have been investigated to determine their compatibility with conductor insulation and coverings.
Posted By: rowdyrudy Re: sudsy question - 03/06/03 01:53 PM
Before factory made lubs, the accepted method was Lux Flakes or Ivory Flakes. No damage was ever reported and the residue after drying was powdery. I used them many times working with my Dad and Brothers.
Rowdy
© ECN Electrical Forums