ECN Forum
Posted By: Electric-Ian BX/AC Cutter - Worth it for $20? - 02/27/03 07:57 PM
Greetings fellow tool-nuts!

The other day I saw a pair of Klein BX Cutters made specifically for cutting & reshaping BX/AC armor, and am wondering if any of you have used them and if it is even worth purchasing. Any advice would be appreciated! (Seems like nowadays there's a tool for every single function in the electrical trade...)
Posted By: mountainman Re: BX/AC Cutter - Worth it for $20? - 02/27/03 08:17 PM
That tool has been around for many years, and yes it is very handy for BX cable. I would not use it for MC cable.
Posted By: Len_B Re: BX/AC Cutter - Worth it for $20? - 02/27/03 08:32 PM
Ah! I believe it is called a "Roto-Strip". Comes in a few sizes and cutter wheels are replacable. Use on BX and greenfield. Big time saver if your doing a job with BX.

Len
Posted By: gramps Re: BX/AC Cutter - Worth it for $20? - 02/27/03 08:39 PM
one of the tools i require my people to have. no more hacksaw or dike cuts. makes things look more like a "pro" did it. [Linked Image]
and really keeps insulation damage to an absolute minimum ("0")

[Linked Image]
gramps
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: BX/AC Cutter - Worth it for $20? - 02/27/03 08:40 PM
Why is it not a good idea to cut MC with a RotoStrip? Is the green earth conductor prone to getting cut when you use this tool?
Posted By: CRW Re: BX/AC Cutter - Worth it for $20? - 02/27/03 09:29 PM
I think we are talking about 2 different tools in this thread. I'm thinking the first post is about the "All Purpose Shears and BX Cutter." (see pic)
[Linked Image from klein.sgsnet.com]

But some people are talking about the Roto-Split
[Linked Image from seatekco.com]

Why wouldn't you either of these tools to strip MC cable. I've used both to cut AC, MC and FMC, and they both work well. I use the Roto-Split the most for MC cable, it's quick and does a great job.
Posted By: zapped208 Re: BX/AC Cutter - Worth it for $20? - 02/27/03 11:07 PM
The Roto-Split is the best! I've had mine about 16 yaers, and still going strong.But i always look at the klein bx cutter at Home Depot, but can't seem to part with the 20 dollars.
Posted By: John Steinke Re: BX/AC Cutter - Worth it for $20? - 02/27/03 11:50 PM
The roto-zip is the cats' meow for MC! The other cutters are usefull for the larger sizes of flex, seal-tite, etc- and they cut metal banding as well as avaition snips.
Posted By: The Watt Doctor Re: BX/AC Cutter - Worth it for $20? - 02/28/03 03:10 AM
I wouldn't cut BX or MC without a Roto-Split.
I've seen some "Old Timers" who would say, "Who needs a Roto-Split!" I think they are a great tool, and well worth 20 bucks or more.

Regards,
Greg
Posted By: electure Re: BX/AC Cutter - Worth it for $20? - 03/04/03 12:32 AM
The Klein cutters make a great pair of scissors, tin snips, etc.....but they aren't to be used on AC or MC cable.
(I got this info from the manufacturer.)
Get a Roto-Split, by Seatek (sp?), not the Greenlee flex-splitter. You'll be glad you did...S
Posted By: CRW Re: BX/AC Cutter - Worth it for $20? - 03/04/03 01:17 AM
If the Klein tool is called "All Purpose Shears and BX Cutter", then why would they say not to use it for AC or MC cable?
Posted By: smokumchevy Re: BX/AC Cutter - Worth it for $20? - 03/04/03 10:35 AM
I used a hacksaw for about a week, and after ripping wires and having to replace down the wall runs because of it the boss showed me a lil trick that I find fast and clean and most importantly (for me) one less thing to carry around.

You all prob do it, so its no new news here but hasn't been mentioned: bend and snap, reverse twist and cut with sidecutters.

Works for me, saved $20, and my tool belt is lighter.

-Greg
Posted By: electure Re: BX/AC Cutter - Worth it for $20? - 03/04/03 01:04 PM
CRW, Sorry, I should clarify this.
The Info I got came from the cable manufacturers (both AFC and Alflex), not Klein. Some time ago I spoke with their tech people re: bushings, and this subject came up as well. They require the rotary cutters.
Also, the Greenlee flex cutter is approved for cutting the armor, but they need to be adjusted continuously, and the cable often gets stuck in the tool. The reference to Seatek was only personal preference..S

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 03-04-2003).]
Posted By: Electric-Ian Re: BX/AC Cutter - Worth it for $20? - 03/04/03 03:30 PM
Hey everyone,

Thanks for all your replies, all of your advice is very helpful! This forum is GREAT!
Posted By: Active 1 Re: BX/AC Cutter - Worth it for $20? - 03/04/03 05:55 PM
I have a rotozip but I only used it a few times. It is too bulky to cary with you. I like the klien red handled cutters for cutting greenfield. They are smaller and lighter. They can cut sheet metal in a bind too. Trouble is the get dull. I have sharpened mine a few times and wondered if Home Depo would warrenty them. A good pair of side cutters will do the same but are a bit heavier. I think the best for green would be tin snips but that also is too much to lug around. (I like my tool belt as light as possable).

Tom
Posted By: Sean WB Re: BX/AC Cutter - Worth it for $20? - 03/05/03 05:58 AM
rotosplits , and side cutters to clean up that little sharp edge thats left. for MC, and "greenfield" [Linked Image]
gets me by [Linked Image]
Posted By: DougW Re: BX/AC Cutter - Worth it for $20? - 06/14/03 09:53 PM
A new guy post on an old topic...

Inherited a set of the red-handled Klein BX cutters from dad... they work pretty well, but nothing like the Sea Tek Roto-Split.

My foreman has the Greenlee version, and it sucks (in comparison). It doesn't cut as clean, or fast. The only real advantage os the extra blade storage in the handle, but I can always round up space for a few blades.

I started carrying Klein "2000 series" dykes (diagonal cutting pliers) that are factory rated for cutting steel - great for cutting protruding nails and trimming the tip of bx, MC, and Greenfield armor.

Just my $ .02
© ECN Electrical Forums