ECN Forum
Posted By: aldav53 Grounding older home - 02/26/03 12:49 AM
I'm looking at a job upgrading an older 2 wire system, is there a way to pull in 1 ground conductor for each outlet to make it a 3 wire system? Option 2 is to just pull in new romex to each outlet.
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Grounding older home - 02/26/03 01:25 PM
It is doable. If it is a budget job maybe this would be acceptable. The right thing to do, labor wise not a whole lot different, would be to rewire. At this time you could split up circuits, bring things to code, and replace the old wire. Running a ground wire to each box would be a pain in the rump. Trying to fish a single wire into an already occupied box with wires already coming through the knockouts....I would pass.
Posted By: bobp Re: Grounding older home - 02/26/03 03:03 PM
I agree with the above post. Don't nickle and dime an electrical refit. It's safer to re-wire and probably only a few bucks more.

Bob
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: Grounding older home - 02/26/03 03:46 PM
My non-electrician's opinion:

The other option is to use GFCI receptacles as per 2002 NEC 406-3(D)(3)(b) and (c). Of course, that still doesn't provide a grounded receptacle. I agree with the other posts.
Posted By: aldav53 Re: Grounding older home - 03/04/03 06:37 AM
The customer wants to keep the cost down so I will probably leave the 2 wire recepts since its not against code on an exhisting home, and just add a GFI circuit for the bathrooms and kitchen and change the main panel. There is a sub panel (fuses) which I can just splice the circuits and them run back to the main panel and have all circuits at one location.
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Grounding older home - 03/04/03 03:12 PM
If you leave those two-hole sockets in place the homeowner's going to start fiddling with those infernal "cheater plugs" to enable him to plug in three-pin plugs.

That would lead to a potentially life-threatening situation if homeowner uses a faulty device that should have been grounded to begin with (refrigerator or power tool).

Not to mention that most of those old receptacles are so cracked and worn over the years that they probably don't grip the plugs properly....
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Grounding older home - 03/04/03 06:00 PM
aladav53, What you are doing is an excellent approach. Changing the panel first will give you the ability to upgrade items over time. Kitchen and bath are the best places to start.
Posted By: electure Re: Grounding older home - 03/04/03 07:59 PM
If I can add to E-manScott's post, also be sure and ground the laundry recp(s).
It was the first required by the NEC to be grounded (way back)...S
Posted By: aldav53 Re: Grounding older home - 03/05/03 03:15 AM
Thanks for your comments, yes I will also suggest grounding the laundry circuit. 2 wire recepts are not as good of course but as far as I know they are not against code in an exhisting home.
© ECN Electrical Forums