ECN Forum
Posted By: MikeO Residential Wiring Computer Programs? - 12/19/00 12:53 AM
Is there anyone that can help.. im looking for some nice programs to draw res. wiring schematics and diagrams complete with wiring terminals on switches and recepticles..for teaching... programs for teaching as well as calculating jobs (foorplan type progs).. if anyone knows of any software like this (not just estimating software) please reply or email me... thx in advance.. MikeO
Posted By: Scott35 Re: Residential Wiring Computer Programs? - 12/19/00 03:11 AM
How about AutoCAD??
I use AutoCAD r 14 exclusively for just about everything related to an Engineered project [along with Excel for Panel Schedules, calcs, etc.].
If ACAD is out of your price range, try Turbocad, by IMSI. I have that program [an older version prior to obtaining a rock solid AutoCAD version"14"], and it has a nice library of components plus the power of a CAD program. It is a little easier to learn than ACAD, but it still requires somewhat a large learning curve.
Lastly, try Visio. I have version 4 and it is very versitile.

Scott.
Posted By: dugmaze Re: Residential Wiring Computer Programs? - 12/22/00 05:39 AM
I bought one several years ago called, "Get Wired". It was a simple program that did everything you are talking about. It showed how to connect devices into circuits too. But I don't remember the maker of it. Try searching old archives of free software. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Scott35 Re: Residential Wiring Computer Programs? - 12/27/00 01:45 AM
Mike:

I am following up on your question about the floor plan program[s].
Did you find one or decide on one yet?
Any questions, let us know!! [post to this forum].

I can give you a little help with AutoCAD, but mostly it would be suggestions or shortcuts, however I can offer a few ways to get started. From there, things will be a lot easier. CAD programs have a large learning curve, so don't get discouraged!

Scott "S.E.T."
© ECN Electrical Forums