ECN Forum
Posted By: Bill Addiss What's Wrong with this Thread? - 02/25/03 05:29 PM
A little different than our usual 'What's Wrong' inquiries. No offense meant to the Author (TG) [Linked Image] I'm not talking about the question or the responses.

There seems to be something peculiar about the 60 Hz ??? thread that may keep some from getting to the reply page. I was curious how many could not get to the "Reply Page" and only get a Blank screen?

The reason I'm asking is that Bjarney could not get to it and I could only get here using a Netscape Browser. My AOL or a standalone Explorer Browser would not work. I'm thinking it has something to do with the title which is displayed as '60Hz +/- ???' on the 'General Discussion' list but differently (60 Hz ???) when I go there. If this is the case we may have to watch what characters are used in titles.

Does anyone else get a blank page when trying to reply there?
Can anyone explain this?

[Linked Image]
Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 02-25-2003).]
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: What's Wrong with this Thread? - 02/25/03 05:57 PM
I can read it using Explorer.

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 02-25-2003).]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: What's Wrong with this Thread? - 02/25/03 06:06 PM
Joe,

Thanks, I can read it though, (some pictures missing on the page) but if I go to reply to it I only get a blank page.

Bill
Posted By: caselec Re: What's Wrong with this Thread? - 02/25/03 06:08 PM
Works fine for me with both IE6 and Mozilla.

Curt
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: What's Wrong with this Thread? - 02/25/03 06:57 PM
Bill:

What version number of Internet Explorer are you using? (Help -> About Internet Explorer)

...I just can't seem to stay out of trouble lately [Linked Image]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: What's Wrong with this Thread? - 02/25/03 07:13 PM
TG,

MSIE ver. 6.0.2800.1106IS
I have AOL ver 7.0 on this computer which may affect or modify the IE Browser, I am not sure.

Bjarney said that he has MSIE 6.0.2800.1106

Bill
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: What's Wrong with this Thread? - 02/25/03 08:58 PM
I have IE 6.0.2800.1106CO, and the reply page opens fine for me.
Don
Posted By: txsparky Re: What's Wrong with this Thread? - 02/25/03 11:22 PM
I get a blank page also.Running IE6 w/SP 1 on Windows 98.Maybe theres another service pack out.
Posted By: Fred Re: What's Wrong with this Thread? - 02/26/03 12:04 AM
Bill, I'm running IE 6.0 and have no trouble opening the reply page on the 60HZ thread.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: What's Wrong with this Thread? - 02/26/03 12:22 AM
Hmmm,

Maybe I should have asked 'What's Wrong with My/Our Browser?' Anyway, it seems that 3 of us so far have a problem here.

Bjarney & txsparky:
Do you also have a problem with graphics on the Thread page? And is the Title Different? (missing the +/-)

Anyone else?

Bill

Posted By: pauluk Re: What's Wrong with this Thread? - 02/26/03 12:43 AM
It's working fine for me, using an AOL 6.0 browser, as auto-updated by AOL.

I getting "60Hz +/- ???" as the title in all locations.
Posted By: stamcon Re: What's Wrong with this Thread? - 02/26/03 02:10 AM
Bill, I get a blank page with IE 6.0.2800.1106IS.
Posted By: WebSparky Re: What's Wrong with this Thread? - 02/26/03 03:00 AM
Hi Bill,

Hold your mouse pointer over the "post reply" button and a pop-up description will appear. Look for the link address, about half way through it says "Genera" and then "Chinesse looking" typing.

When you click the button, it tries to find that link to display. Of course that link does not exist and you get a blank page.

I would suggest editing the title of the thread as to not include the "???" part. It seems to be throwing-off the forum software.

Hope this helps!
Dave
Posted By: Roger Re: What's Wrong with this Thread? - 02/26/03 03:00 AM
Bill, I tried it at work and home today on IE 6.0 with no problem getting to the reply page.

Roger
Posted By: JGonier Re: What's Wrong with this Thread? - 02/26/03 03:40 AM
This is what you should see in the browser.
https://www.electrical-contractor.n...ic=002551.cgi&TopicSubject=60Hz+/-??

But instead this is what you see.
http://electrical-contr actor.net...|QUS||QUS|

Notice the last part of it? (60Hz|PLS|/-|QUS||QUS||QUS|). This is because ubb is supplementing it's own code (i.e. Ubb Code Is On) by saving the post information in the database as "PLS" for the plus sign (+) and "QUS" for the question mark (?). Thus when it is pulled from the database and pushed to the browser, the UBB software is translating it ok for some but not for others.

I am using MSIE 6.0.2600.0000 with not service packs on a Windows 2000 Advanced server and this page open up blank for me also.

Funny how it only effects the title of a message and not the body or the original post title.

[This message has been edited by JGonier (edited 02-25-2003).]

I just discovered something interesting. When the page opens as a blank page. Hitting the refresh on your browser gives you a blank page again however, if you hit the go button (in I.E.) the reply page will then open up ok.

This has to be a UBB issue when pushing the link to the browser.

Found another problem. When the software pushes the link to the browser, it is pushing it as "http://electrical-contr actor.net/cgi-bin/postings.cgi?action=reply&forum=General?????&number=1&topic=002551.cgi&TopicSubject=60Hz|PLS|/-|QUS||QUS||QUS|". Notice the bold section? This should say "General+Discussion+Area" instead.

Posted By: Nick Re: What's Wrong with this Thread? - 02/26/03 03:48 AM
IE 6.0 and no problem!
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: What's Wrong with this Thread? - 02/26/03 03:50 AM
stamcon,

Your test post doesn't work for me either.

Bill
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: What's Wrong with this Thread? - 02/26/03 04:00 AM
WebSparky,

I don't know of anyway to change the Title.

Does anyone also see a problem with the Graphics displaying on the Page with the Comments on it?

Bill

Posted By: WebSparky Re: What's Wrong with this Thread? - 02/26/03 10:33 PM
Bill,

The graphics do not load either.

I tried two test posts...... they work fine.

Dave
© ECN Electrical Forums