ECN Forum
Posted By: FrankM IC Recessed lighting - 02/23/03 02:49 PM
I am installing Juno recessed lighting in a bathroom that I am remodeling. The lights are I.C. rated, air lock, (IC21R & IC22R) and will be installed under a finished, insulated attic.

Some of the lights are actually touching the wood ceiling joists and others have 1/2" plywood directly over them with about 1/16" of a gap between the top of the can and the plywood floor of the attic. The salesman who sold me the lights says that he called Juno and they said the cans can contact wood without a problem, it's not that I don't believe him but I want to be safe. I plan on contacting Juno if I can find out how, their customer support link on their homepage doesn't work.

So my question is: Does anyone know if it is okay for these recessed light cans to be in contact with wood? Does anyone have any feelings on this?

Thank You, you have a very nice forum.
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: IC Recessed lighting - 02/23/03 02:56 PM
410.66 (A)(2) of the NEC allows IC rated recessed lights to be in direct contact with combustible materials. The code allows it and the manufacturer allows it. Just install the proper lamp and you will be fine.
Posted By: electrician02125 Re: IC Recessed lighting - 02/23/03 06:48 PM
Not trying to be a wiseguy but doesn't IC stand for indirect contact? You're asking if they can be direct contact. Assume the lightbulb will someday be replaced with the wrong wattage and type causing lots of heat.

Seems like a crafty lawyer would have a field day with this. Regardless of what the codebook says.

Other vendors make shallow highhats that may solve your problem.

Just my 2 cents.
Posted By: ga.sparky56 Re: IC Recessed lighting - 02/23/03 07:08 PM
Ic:Insulation contact.I think a crafty lawyer can cause a stink about a lot of things.As Scott said the code and manufacturers allow it.You can't make it all idiot proof. Russell
Posted By: caselec Re: IC Recessed lighting - 02/23/03 07:11 PM
Type IC recessed fixtures are designed to be in direct contact with insulation and combustible materials. If the fixture is improperly lamped the thermal protector will shut the fixture off. In CA we are required to use type IC fixtures anyplace thermal insulation is installed and the insulation must be in direct contact with the fixture. There have be studies that show a significant heat loss by leaving a 3" air space around the fixture.
Please read article 410.66(A)(2) as Scott indicated above.

Curt
Posted By: electrician02125 Re: IC Recessed lighting - 02/24/03 12:09 AM
My limited experience with highhats is obvious. Wiping egg off of my face now [Linked Image]

Thanks for the tutorial gents.
Posted By: FrankM Re: IC Recessed lighting - 02/24/03 12:23 AM
Thank You for the timely response
Posted By: harold endean Re: IC Recessed lighting - 02/24/03 01:08 AM
In NJ the state is making electrical contractors to install ONLY IC cans in the top floor of a house because of the state Energy Codes. They want the house to be more airtight and the regular recess fixtures can not be used in the top floor. The building inspectors are enforcing this installation.
Posted By: FrankM Re: IC Recessed lighting - 02/24/03 02:30 AM
Another thing I noticed today, with the switch to the lights turned off I am still getting 0.5 to 5 volts showing on the circuit. They are Lutron 1000 watt dimmers. I had to install 4 more cans today, I left the breaker on but turned the switch off and checked the voltage before I cut the wire, it was rangging from 0.5 to 5 volts, when I cut the wire it tripped the GFCI circuit breaker. Is this normal?
Posted By: iwire Re: IC Recessed lighting - 02/24/03 02:43 AM
I think what you have is electronics in the dimmer that are connected in series with the load, this happens in occupancy switches that do not use a neutral connection.
Bob
Posted By: ga.sparky56 Re: IC Recessed lighting - 02/24/03 02:45 AM
02125,I frequently wind up with egg on my face,but these guys will help you scrape it off. Bob, I've noticed this in some of the high end ceiling fan controls with a lot of bells and whistles on them.

[This message has been edited by ga.sparky56 (edited 02-23-2003).]
Posted By: Electric Eagle Re: IC Recessed lighting - 02/24/03 02:46 AM
If these dimmers are lighted, they give funny readings.
Posted By: FrankM Re: IC Recessed lighting - 02/24/03 02:57 AM
EE, they are not lighted.

I have a total of 5 different circuits in the bathroom and they are all showing this stray voltage. All 5 have 600 or 1000 watt 3 way or single pole dimmers, plus all 5 have 20 amp GFCI breakers that I installed yesterday. I have an old Wadsworth 200 amp box, (pre 1979), I couldn't find any Wads GFCI's so I had to buy clones, still very expensive though.

Thanks for all the input!!
Posted By: caselec Re: IC Recessed lighting - 02/24/03 04:16 AM
Frank, could you provide us with a part number or description of the dimmers.

Also if the circuit feeding these lights is connected to the load side of a GFCI cutting the equipment ground and neutral at the same time will cause the GFCI to trip.

Curt
Posted By: ikauffma Re: IC Recessed lighting - 02/24/03 10:41 PM
FrankM;

I recently replaced/updated my clothes washer receptacle. Turned the circuit off at the breaker, double-checked it with a multi-meter before working on it and got 5.3v-5.5v, 0 amps. The lights in the basement are on there own circuit and the washer feed was pulled with the feed to this light circuit, so they are in contact for most of the run. Plugged my utility light in, turned the lights on that same circuit off and the voltage reading dropped to 2.2v.
I've recently learned about conductors/Romex being bundled tightly together causing ampacity loss (derating); not sure if it has to do with yours an my "stray" voltage readings, but I'd be interested if anybody out there knows.

Good luck!

ikauffma
Posted By: FrankM Re: IC Recessed lighting - 02/24/03 11:50 PM
caselec
There are 3 AY-600P- single pole 600 watt dimmers and 2 AY-103PNL- 3-way 1000 watt dimmers. They are made by Lutron, here is the webpage for these dimmers.
http://www.lutron.com/ariadni/Default.htm#dimmers

Thanks again
Posted By: caselec Re: IC Recessed lighting - 02/25/03 12:40 AM
Frank, the 2 AY-103PNL have a built-in night light that is connected in parallel with the dimmer. This would give you a voltage reading at the lights with the dimmer in the off position.

Curt
© ECN Electrical Forums