ECN Forum
Posted By: jimmysue Panel - 08/19/21 12:26 PM
Good morning,

I was hanging out over a friends house the other day and he had this panelboard in his garage. I was curious about it and he tells me they were doing a remodel at the Edsel Ford Mansion (son of Henry Ford automaker) in Grosse Pointe Michigan in the mid 90's and they demoed this panel. They were just going to throw it away so he kept it. This mansion was built in 1928 This panel could possibly date back to 1928.

The Ford Mansion has been a public museum since the late 70's. It has its own powerhouse on the grounds.

My question is with the bus arrangement.

Because of the writing on the labels I assume that my picture is orientated properly.

I assume the bus bar on the right would be considered "A" phase.

I assume the bus bar in the middle is "B" phase.

I assume the bus bar on the left would be considered "C" phase.

I'm used to seeing A,B,C,A,B,C,A,B,C,A,B,C all the way down the panel.

The phasing on this panelboard from top to bottom looks like A,B,C,C,B,A,A,B,C,C,B,A

Why would they have two A phases adjacent to each other in the panel?

Why would they have two C phases adjacent to each other in the panel?

I can't make out any of the labels on the fuses.

Thanks,

Attached picture panel1.jpg
Attached picture panel-2.jpg
Attached picture panel-3.jpg
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Panel - 08/21/21 02:24 AM
Another of these interesting old panels; I think this is the second one here at ECN recently. Add in the one I found a few years ago.

Let's say the right buss is "A" phase, with "B" center, and "C" on left. That gives us two locations where "A" has two adjacent taps, and "C" has one. There are also three (3) tap lugs, A,B,C buss.

Do you have this panel? If not, do you know who has it? Is the backbox and neutral bar around?
Posted By: NORCAL Re: Panel - 12/25/21 06:17 AM
Hopefully it's not tossed out laer, & the provenance is recorded for future reference.
Posted By: grich Re: Panel - 12/28/21 10:54 PM
I can only think the ABCCBAABCCBA arrangement makes for a smaller panel footprint, since the same-phase adjacent taps are short-spaced.
© ECN Electrical Forums