ECN Forum
Posted By: akmaster SO cord on ground? - 06/25/21 01:45 AM
Off Grid cabin...Can the so cord from a portable generator be run along the ground and terminate to a ser cable in j box and terminate at charge controller for cabin without disconnect between gen and charge controller?

50 amp 4C6 so cord...50 feet

Thanks
Posted By: gfretwell Re: SO cord on ground? - 06/26/21 03:52 PM
He needs a disconnect where it enters the building. There is a disconnect at the generator, even if it is the "off" button.
Posted By: Rachel Re: SO cord on ground? - 07/16/21 08:50 AM
I too have a cabin that is absolutely off-grid and runs a generator to power all equipment. I connected the generator from the shed to a breaker box. I manage a 240v with a 5000-watt generator system. I also like to include a solar or battery bank in future. But for now, when the generator is working it is just the same as being at home. I'm not confident about your needs or questions. Because I have to do a lot of research and experimentation on your topic. Since I'm a beginner and I only knew little about these but knew some electrician they can do a ton of help. But from my fewer knowledge, I think you need a disconnection when the SO cord enters the cabin.
© ECN Electrical Forums