ECN Forum
Posted By: gfretwell New tool - 10/19/20 02:03 AM
I just bought one of these. My trusty old tick tester was becoming a trick tester and I needed one I could trust.
I got a Klein NCVT-41R. I was a little disappointed that it didn't actually indicate the voltage, no matter what Amazon led me to think. It is still pretty nice and there is a laser thermometer built in. That is better than licking your finger and tapping the lug to see if it sizzles. wink

A small LED flashlight on board would make this a little better but so far so good.

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: New tool - 10/19/20 06:44 PM
Greg:

Without cutting into Mr. Bills enterprise, got a model # and approx. $$
Posted By: gfretwell Re: New tool - 10/19/20 07:43 PM
It is a Klein NCVT-41R and Amazon had it for $40. Certainly if Mr Bill has them I would source it through him. I just got tricked into some 2AMazoning wink

It is a little deceptive that they say "Tough Meter" in the splash ad but this is not a volt meter, only a thermometer. I could have sent it back but I decided it might be useful enough anyway. I played with the thermometer and based on a pot of boiling water and a glass of ice water it seems pretty close. I am trusting that Klein is a better product than something from Harbor Fright.
Posted By: JoeTestingEngr Re: New tool - 10/21/20 10:00 PM
I think I'll have to call garbage on this one! I'll have to double check but I think that this is what I have in the pouch of my duffle bag, with the end broken off. The same thing happened to several other Testing Engineers that I've talked to. If you do buy one, pack it in a manner that would protect a potato chip.
Joe

Attached picture Klein Tester.jpg
Posted By: gfretwell Re: New tool - 10/21/20 11:40 PM
What did Klein say about that?
Posted By: JoeTestingEngr Re: New tool - 10/22/20 04:58 AM
Originally Posted by gfretwell
What did Klein say about that?

I didn't contact Klein because I had nothing to do with the purchase.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: New tool - 10/22/20 04:08 PM
That looks like the battery cap just unscrewed. I would still talk to Klein. If it is really defective I would expect them to replace it.
Posted By: JoeTestingEngr Re: New tool - 10/24/20 04:17 AM
The battery cap is still on it. The end of the cap broke off.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: New tool - 10/24/20 03:09 PM
I would have Klein send me another cap or get some JB weld.
Posted By: SMOKEYBOB Re: New tool - 02/15/21 09:59 PM
These are nice for 1st testing for voltage, but not as reliable as multi tester or wiggly. If you have multi circuits you will get false reading due to inductance. I thru mine as far as I could 12 years ago after getting bit, many coworkers found the same problem
Posted By: quilomark Re: New tool - 10/31/21 06:45 AM
If you are planning to contact Klein it would be good to ask about the voltage display too.
© ECN Electrical Forums