ECN Forum
Posted By: pauluk "Live Better Electrically" - 02/06/03 03:56 PM
I came across this old TV commercial (American) promoting use of electricity in the home.

Wonderful stuff from a lost age! [Linked Image]
http://www.tvparty.com/vaultcom2.html

It's in the right-hand column, about half way down the page. You need RealPlayer to view it.

Any of you actually remember seeing this one?

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 02-06-2003).]
Posted By: electric-ed Re: "Live Better Electrically" - 02/06/03 04:19 PM
Yes, I remember that logo. It was used by a trade organization called the "Electric Service League" to promote "rural electrification" here (eastern Canada) in the 60's.
Seems to me there were posters in our electrical shop windows and decals we put on the shop trucks.

How many of you remember the "Red Seal Wiring" promotion from the same era?

Ed

[This message has been edited by electric-ed (edited 02-06-2003).]
Posted By: Bjarney Re: "Live Better Electrically" - 02/06/03 08:52 PM
It was all supposed to be so effortless...
[Linked Image from 67.115.161.42]
Posted By: ga.sparky56 Re: "Live Better Electrically" - 02/07/03 12:12 AM
Paul,it's not lost, it's still fiercely alive in my mind(a child of the late 50's and 60's)I remember 99% of these ads including the electrical one. These are great!

[This message has been edited by ga.sparky56 (edited 02-06-2003).]
Posted By: Bjarney Re: "Live Better Electrically" - 02/07/03 01:42 AM
[Linked Image from 67.115.161.42]
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: "Live Better Electrically" - 02/07/03 04:17 AM
Some more nostalgia peppered throughout:
http://www.pseg.com/about/anniversary/overview.html
Posted By: pauluk Re: "Live Better Electrically" - 02/08/03 12:29 AM
I was a child of the late 60s/70s, so seeing some old British commercials of that time brings back memories for me.

But I love watching these older commercials. They seem to have a charm all their own, and a sense of enthusiasm and "Hey, the world's going to be a better place in the not-too-distant future."

Pity something went wrong along the way. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: "Live Better Electrically" - 02/08/03 01:27 AM
Paul,
I think what it was about them old adverts,
was that they had a certain amount of honesty, with them.
They didn't make rash statements, like ad- agencies these days.
Love any sort of old ads, TV car ads are my
favourite. [Linked Image]
Posted By: electric-ed Re: "Live Better Electrically" - 02/08/03 01:28 AM
Pity something went wrong along the way.

Isn't the world a better place since the "cold war" ended?

And we have internet BBs too. [Linked Image]

Ed
Posted By: ga.sparky56 Re: "Live Better Electrically" - 02/08/03 05:43 AM
Ed,I suspect we can have selective memory when it comes to "the good old days".
Posted By: Trainwire Re: "Live Better Electrically" - 02/08/03 04:17 PM
We have a fella here that insists it was "better then". Yea right. In the railroad business, they used to be able to tell if you were a railroader by how many fingers were missing. Ever see a picture of Altoona or Scranton or Pittsburg of the late 30's and 40's? People were dying of black lung without ever stepping foot in a mine. How many people died or were disfigured in the 50's in a car accident because of the design of the car? The cool chrome bullet in the middle of the steering wheel went right through your chest. The key in the ignition switch shattered your kneecap.

I'm not knocking any of those things, mind you, I just am very reluctant to say "good old days".

TW

Ps don't get me wrong, I love old adverts.
Posted By: BuggabooBren Re: "Live Better Electrically" - 02/08/03 05:49 PM
I love the old ads, too. Who remembers, "I came back!" and what it advertised? We used to use that incessantly when we'd leave my grandmother's house and return for a forgotten item.

The old ads did seem more honest and the approach was different in that they tried to really 'build a better mousetrap' and then portray or demonstrate the better qualities rather than today's method of targeting an audience with a psychometrically-geared ad that speaks such lofty-sounding promises but which only 'implies' or 'alludes' to the higher quality, rather than guarantees it. The legal obligation of 'truth in advertising' is upheld and yet tainted by the loopholes found in how the copy is written or disclaimers found in the little print at the bottom.
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: "Live Better Electrically" - 02/09/03 04:07 AM
Just listen to some of the radio ads for automobiles. The "fine print" is squeezed in at the end (sometimes at the very beginning) and is almost as fast as the fast-talking FedEx guy... Almost like going to an auction!
© ECN Electrical Forums