ECN Forum
Posted By: 3nd4 Single phase VS three phase generator - 01/24/18 10:53 AM
Hello,

I'm about to rent an industrial place and the real estate person tells me that a 100a three phase generator generators as many watts as 3 100a single phase generator. Is that correct?

I want to put computers there and need a lot of watts to power them if that helps.

Thanks a lot for your answers.
Posted By: ghost307 Re: Single phase VS three phase generator - 01/24/18 01:16 PM
Basically.

Generators are rated in KVA.
You will get the same amount of power regardless of how many phases you have.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Single phase VS three phase generator - 01/25/18 05:50 AM
What kind of computers? Do they need 3P?
If you are just talking about 1P computers, like PCs, don't forget the triplin harmonic problem when you are connecting to 3P wye. The shared neutral in the 3P feeder should be up to 2x the size of ungrounded conductors. Once you get to the single phase (2 wire) branch circuits it is not a problem
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Single phase VS three phase generator - 01/26/18 12:05 AM
Seems the OP is in Eastern Asia somewhere. China, Korea, ?

Perhaps he’s talking about a data center?

More info please.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Single phase VS three phase generator - 01/26/18 05:32 AM
If these "computers" are desk tops, the power supplies will be single phase switchers, the same one we have with a different power cord. That is why they use the IEC 13 connector on the PS end. You get the right cord that machine will work just about anywhere on the planet but you still have the harmonic problem.
Posted By: andey Re: Single phase VS three phase generator - 01/29/18 09:46 AM
Why does that space have a generator anyways and not a regular connection to the power grid?

OP could plan to build a cryptocurrency mining center too. Just don't forget then, that china thinks about banning mining.
Posted By: LongRunner Re: Single phase VS three phase generator - 02/01/18 11:14 AM
Do the PSUs in your computers have active power factor correction (APFC)? If they do, then there won't be a significant problem with harmonic distortion.

If they don't (or you can't tell for sure), then do as Greg says.
© ECN Electrical Forums