ECN Forum
Posted By: muxx Receptacle in Closet - 02/05/03 04:27 AM
Can you put a Receptacle in a small closet? If so, where can it be mounted in a closet.
Posted By: tsolanto Re: Receptacle in Closet - 02/09/03 06:31 PM
I think its a bad idea if it is a clothes closet but I have never found an article to say you can't

[This message has been edited by tsolanto (edited 02-09-2003).]
Posted By: frenchelectrican Re: Receptacle in Closet - 02/10/03 06:10 AM
ahh for recpetacale in the closet it is a bad idea due few reason
1) hard to get into the rep et plug with all the stuff there.
2) how often any one have one in small closet myself i never see one at all. only very large walk in closet
3) i did check the codes i can't find anything about not useing the rep. in the closest BUT french codes (that where i came from say not allow it in small cloest at all!
i am sure few other electrians will say the same answer what i just spoke above it

merci marc
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Receptacle in Closet - 02/10/03 08:19 PM
Some folks around here have asked for 250V 20A receptacles in their closets, aparently for 1000W metal halides.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Receptacle in Closet - 02/10/03 10:52 PM
'66wv — There will always be regional variations, but way out west, 1kW luminaires in closets would most likely be for year-round, high-yield "herbal" {or "medicinal"} gardening.

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 02-10-2003).]
Posted By: ElectricAL Re: Receptacle in Closet - 02/10/03 11:22 PM
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] LOL
Posted By: ElectricAL Re: Receptacle in Closet - 02/10/03 11:29 PM
Muxx,

In addition to '66's observation, there really are good reasons to put receptacles in closets, even a small one. With all the rechargeable batteries in the things we use, having an outlet for the "wall wart transformer" that keeps the cord from going thru the door, is at the top of my list.
Posted By: Electric Eagle Re: Receptacle in Closet - 02/10/03 11:45 PM
We do it all the time in walk in closet for a variety of reasons, ironing board, towel warmer, battery charger. Small closets get them all the time also, primarily for the security system xfrmr. To the best of my knowledge there's nothing in the NEC that prohibits this. If there is, the inspectors in my area don't seem to know it either.

[This message has been edited by Electric Eagle (edited 02-10-2003).]
Posted By: lighthouse Re: Receptacle in Closet - 02/11/03 12:33 AM
joe...you did it to me again [Linked Image] lol

[This message has been edited by lighthouse (edited 02-10-2003).]
Posted By: tsolanto Re: Receptacle in Closet - 02/11/03 11:41 AM
Are you concerned about clothes coming in contact with the receptacles. What happens if the plug is not in all the way and clothes come in contact with it... Seems like a bad idea to me.
Posted By: Redsy Re: Receptacle in Closet - 02/11/03 12:14 PM
Whether or not it is a good idea is debatable and probably depends on the closet.
I can't think of any Code article that would
disallow it.
Posted By: mjelliott Re: Receptacle in Closet - 02/11/03 02:16 PM
I installed a recpt in my closet afterr checking with a local inspector. Neither one of us could find anything in the NEC about it. I use it for a battery charger for a vacuum. After all they do put stacked washer and dryers in closets don't they.
Posted By: Tony Moscioni Re: Receptacle in Closet - 02/11/03 10:02 PM
In Ontario, in accordance with The Ontario Electrical Safety Code...

26-702(16) * Receptacles in closets

Question #1: Are receptacles permitted in clothes or storage closets?

Answer #1: No

Rationale #1: Rule 26-702(3) Except as otherwise provided for in this Code.... receptacles shall be installed ....... in every room or area, OTHER THAN ....... closets.

Rule 26-702(16) Receptacles shall not be placed in a cupboard, cabinet, or similar enclosure ..... with exceptions as listed.

The intent is to prevent an appliance being plugged into a receptacle in a clothes or storage closet and the door being closed on the cord; or an appliance (possibly a heating appliance), being left on in a clothes or storage closet in the presence of flammable materials.

Question #2: Does the Code permit a receptacle to be placed in a closet that is being converted to a computer workstation or an entertainment center?

Answer #2: Yes.

Rationale #2: Rule 26-702(16) Receptacles shall not be placed in a cupboard, cabinet, or similar enclosure except where ... (b) they are intended for use with a specific type of appliance that is intended for use within the enclosure.

This rule would permit installation of a receptacle(s) for the supply of specific appliances (computer, entertainment equipment, etc) which are located within an enclosure provided the closet is converted into a home office work station or entertainment center and any clothes hanger bars and linen shelves are removed.

Websters defines a closet as a small room or cupboard for clothes, household supplies, linens, etc. The space would no longer comply with this definition provided any clothes hanger bars and linen shelves are removed.

Tony Moscioni
Electrical Inspector
Electrical Safety Authority
Posted By: John Steinke Re: Receptacle in Closet - 02/12/03 12:09 AM
I suggest that you look at the products of a company called "California Closets." These folks have "modules" that allow you to customise a closet; these include make-up/jewelry stations, etc.
I have nothing against receptacles in closets, in general, but I would press the customer as to the actual intended reasons, as placement is likely to be critical.
Posted By: Electric Eagle Re: Receptacle in Closet - 02/12/03 12:27 AM
Tony, Assuming that Muxx lived in Canada and was under the Canadian codes, I still think you are misinterpreting your rule 26-702(3). I believe the intent of that is to require outlets in all rooms, but that closets are not required to have receptacles. As for receptacles in cabinets, we have to install them over a cook top for the use of a microwave oven mounted under the cabinet.
Posted By: pwood Re: Receptacle in Closet - 02/13/03 12:48 AM
i have never done a write up on them.if there's no code against them,they're legal!
Posted By: The Watt Doctor Re: Receptacle in Closet - 02/13/03 01:21 AM
I can dig it Eagle. Tony, I think he raises a good point. Whether here in the U.S., or in Canada, God help us if we start regulating cords being "pinched" in doors. I don't know of any rule that would not allow receptacles in closets. In fact, I think for rechargible batteries, etc. they are a good idea.

Back in my closet,
Doc
Posted By: muxx Re: Receptacle in Closet - 02/17/03 08:57 PM
I am in USA, I would like to have an outlet installed in my closet, because I would like to put my network hub in the closet, I have a few cat5 drops that come into it. The outlet would be about 2 feet down from the ceiling on the back wall. and the hub would sit up on the shelf.
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Receptacle in Closet - 02/17/03 10:31 PM
Muxx, the answer is yes you can put a receptacle in a closet. There is no location restriction.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Receptacle in Closet - 02/19/03 05:40 AM
Yes, mate.
I have installed heaps of socket outlets in closets/wardrobes for Bedroom TV sets.
Mainly up in the top part where clothes are never stored. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Receptacle in Closet - 02/19/03 06:20 AM
Personally, I would never put a recep. in a closet. Yet,I've never heard of anyone (or code) restricting the placement of a recep. in a closet. I know we had to place receps in closets, but it was only for the purpose of LV security purposes.
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Receptacle in Closet - 02/19/03 01:29 PM
I have seen no good argument against putting a receptacle in a closet. Anyone? Foca SE?
Posted By: Elzappr Re: Receptacle in Closet - 02/19/03 07:39 PM
No NEC reason exists for restricting such placement. Common sense will tell you that it is quite possible that something plugged in and hidden from view could be an invitation for a fire. With fixed appliances or entertainment units, etc., you have some ready indication that something might be wrong, when the units don't work right. Yet, we cram furniture (beds and dressors) against outlet all the time, and when a plug is barely making contact due to getting knocked around by the shifting furniture or the bed being made up, we end up with premature failure of the outlet/plug, or start a fire. If the outlet is used for an electric blanket, or waterbed heater, we might not realize that there is a faulty connection.

Isn't this concern basically similar to restrictions against passing cords through ceiling tiles--that you can't see how well the cord's plug is making contact with the outlet?
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Receptacle in Closet - 02/19/03 09:02 PM
Ok, so no receptacles behind furniture either. I'm still not buying this one.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Receptacle in Closet - 02/20/03 02:33 AM
In response to Electricman: I see no reason why you can't put a resep. in a closet. But, I reiterate: I will not do it. There is no clear reason why you should, unless you have a security system, or such in that closet. Seeing that Muxx replied, "small closet". I say, "No way!" But, this is my personal feelings (not code). I agree with you electicman.
Posted By: elecbob Re: Receptacle in Closet - 02/20/03 05:23 AM
75% of the closets I've instaled receptacles in they were used for rechargables. Any code restrictions say you can't protect them with an AFCI? Do it if you're worried about safety folks.The rest were used for hubs or security.
© ECN Electrical Forums