ECN Forum
Posted By: brsele Generator Cable Sizing - 10/15/17 06:46 PM
How does everybody here size the cable for home standby generators? Here's the situation... A customer called me for a Generac generator. He has already installed #3 TECK cable (along with the control cable) from where the generator will sit, to the house. I believe that the OESC, CEC and NEC all agree that this cable is rated for 100 amps. If it's a continuous load, you're not supposed to exceed 80% or 80 amps. The customer wants the biggest generator he can get on this cable.
Generac says:
16kW - Max rated load of 66.6A, protected by a 70A breaker
20kW - Max rated load of 83.3A, protected by a 100A breaker
22kW - Max rated load of 91.7A, protected by a 100A breaker
Which generator would you choose?
Thanks
Posted By: SteveFehr Re: Generator Cable Sizing - 10/16/17 12:26 AM
Unless it's a continuous rated generator (unlikely in this size/price range), it's not capable of supplying continuous service; standby rated generators are only capable of 70% average load for 200 hours/year. If it has an integrated breaker, you don't need to oversize the conductors; that breaker's probably only 80% rated anyway. He should be good up to 24kVA standby on a 100A cable. Is that 22kW really 100% rated as the Amps suggest, or is that some sort of fine-print marketing?
Posted By: ghost307 Re: Generator Cable Sizing - 10/16/17 01:04 PM
Unless the sole load on the generator is electric heat...and it's running 24/7 none of the typical residential installations are a continuous load.
I don't see a problem using the pre-installed cable at 100% of its rating.
Keep in mind that the ratings of the generators assume a completely balanced load.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Generator Cable Sizing - 10/16/17 11:13 PM
Going for the 22 KW unit may be the best choice depending on the $$$ differences over the 20 KW.

Based on the permits I process, 22 KW units are in the majority, followed by 20s, and 16s are few.

Common is a 200 ATS, 22 KW Gen, 100 gen, 200 utility, to the existing 200 amp panel (w/neutrals/grounds separated) and load shed for the HVACs, etc.
Posted By: brsele Re: Generator Cable Sizing - 10/18/17 11:39 PM
Thanks for the responses.
22kW it is then. It really is helpful to be able to bounce things off of others.
Cheers
© ECN Electrical Forums