ECN Forum
Posted By: sparkyinak Heat pump conundrum - 05/20/17 09:55 PM
I'm having an issue with a new heat pump with an in duct coil. Using the existing furnace for fan and emergency heat.

I can't call the factory until Monday. Calling for heT I have 24V between R and C, and R and O plus I have power to the fan. I can't get the heat pump to fire. Any thoughts?
Posted By: sparkyinak Re: Heat pump conundrum - 05/21/17 01:04 AM
Maybe this will help. Each column is a piece of equipment in the puzzle and how they are connected. Hope this view properly at your end. Thermostat is Heatpump enable

HP=Heat pump
Furn=Furnace force air
Tstat=Thermostat

Tstat Furn HP

[R]-----------[R]--------[R] Heat
[C]-----------[C]--------[C] Common
[AUX/E]-----[W]--------[R2] Emergency heat
[OB]--------------------[O] Heat/cool valve
[G]----------[G] Fan
[Y]-----------[Y]--------[Y] Cooling
Posted By: twh Re: Heat pump conundrum - 05/21/17 01:37 PM
Calling for heat, should O be energized and read 24 volts to C? That would be zero volts from O to R. I think OB is the same as W which is 1st stage heat.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Heat pump conundrum - 05/21/17 03:21 PM
Does it run in "cool"? If not, be sure the time out relay is OK. These things use a time delay relay (usually solid state) to prevent short cycling. Some times you have to wait a minute or two to see if it is going to go.,
Posted By: sparkyinak Re: Heat pump conundrum - 05/22/17 12:49 AM
Crap! Your right. It's been ages since I dealt with furnace controls. Before electronic stats. The R is or was commonly called common. It should be 24v between Orange and Blue, not red.

The furnace in question still called the R, common and W for heat. It tripped me up once already. Grrrrrr!

Thanx
Posted By: David1 Re: Heat pump conundrum - 09/14/17 05:07 PM
Greetings Ya'll,

It looks like this got "Cleared up" back in May 22, 2017.

I'm curious as to how it turned out, & also why a "Duct Coil" was used, instead of an "A" Coil in the Plenum.
© ECN Electrical Forums