ECN Forum
Posted By: rpny11080 undersized wire - 02/03/03 11:38 PM
While replacing an outlet in the bedroom, I noticed that the breaker was 20 amp. The wires in the box looked small to me, so I traced the wire to the basement, and the wire is clearly marked 14 awg. It is a pretty extensive run of wire, and it would be very time consuming to replace the wire with 12 awg. The circuit only serves some lights and a tv, so I think that the best solution would be to replace the 20 amp breaker with a 15 amp breaker. Do you agree? Input greatly appreciated.
Posted By: jdevlin Re: undersized wire - 02/04/03 12:23 AM
You MUST change the breaker to 15 amp if you are not going to change all the wire on the circuit to 12.
Posted By: The_Lightman Re: undersized wire - 02/04/03 12:24 AM
I absolutely agree !
Posted By: rpny11080 Re: undersized wire - 02/04/03 01:16 AM
Thanks, i will change the breaker to 15 amp right away. As i always say, better safe than sorry.
Posted By: NJwirenut Re: undersized wire - 02/04/03 03:11 AM
In addition to changing out the breaker, an inspection of the insulation on that circuit would be in order.

If it has been overloaded in the past, the insulation could be brittle and deteriorated.
Posted By: OSHA Professor Re: undersized wire - 02/10/03 01:27 AM
Would an AFCI be in order?
Posted By: txsparky Re: undersized wire - 02/10/03 01:54 AM
Would an AFCI be in order?

Nooooooo... Not the "A" word again!! [Linked Image]

That is a good question though.Would 210.12(B) apply for a replacement breaker in an existing dwelling?
Posted By: ga.sparky56 Re: undersized wire - 02/10/03 02:23 AM
I have enoungh problems explaining and justifying them to homeowners and GC's for new construction,much less a retrofit.
Posted By: txsparky Re: undersized wire - 02/10/03 02:08 PM
ga.sparky56,

If it's a code requirement,why would you have to jusyify it to a GC or a homeowner?Just include it your bid.Don't you bid everyyhing else to meet code without having to justify what you need?
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: undersized wire - 02/10/03 08:57 PM
Donnie, in my area we have to justify everything the owner/GC/(s)he-who-writes-the-check doesn't think they need, and saying "it's code" usually gets the question "why?".

I've often got the "let's-sit-down-and-talk" thing many times from not only GC's but some folks at the supply house too, usually after the "that's what all the other electricians use/do" speech... the consensus being in a nutshell that if I don't "loosen up" and "be reasonable" then my business won't survive.

...as if I'm blowing things out of proportion by trying to adibe by code...

[Linked Image]

Code is right up there with Speed Limits, child support, and taxes...

Most around here in my parts think they're a good thing for everyone but themselves.

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 02-10-2003).]
Posted By: ga.sparky56 Re: undersized wire - 02/10/03 10:18 PM
txsparky, My little corner of the world is much as 66 describes. In my home county and the next one over where 75% of our work is,there is no building inspection of any kind.Only septic systems are inspected. Trying to get G.C.'s and homeowners to understand the need for code compliant wiring is sometimes a big job."But the other electricians didn't say anything about that". Or from a G.C. "My other sparky never did that" Add the fact that our bids are usually higher than most to comply with code,and its an uphill battle at best. The refreshing thing is that we also do work in N.C. for a sparky friend there,and the codes are enforced to the letter.Oh well, maybe someday. Russell
© ECN Electrical Forums