ECN Forum
Posted By: Redsy Outdoor LV Lighting xfmr. installed indoors - 02/03/03 01:19 AM
I have noticed several landscape lighting transformers that clearly state "install outdoors only", installed in basements and garages. After pointing this out to homeowners, I can't fully explain the potential problems (other than the wiring passing through the wall, which violates 411.4,) with doing this.
Any ideas?
Redsy, do these generate enough heat to cause a problem with things that could get piled around them indoors?
Redsy:
I would have to agree on the ventalation thing. Also, if the mfg says "outdoors only" an interior install would clearly violate the mfg. instructions. As an afterthought, how about the smoke/fumes when it fails??? better if it's outside??
John
Thanks, guys.
I thought about heat, but then wondered about a hot summer day outdoors and the sun beating on it.
Combustibles stored in proximity to it would be a concern though that is unlikely to arise outdoors.
Redsy,
What type of an enclosure(body), do these
transformers have?.
Are they Hermetically sealed?,as this could greatly lower thier heat-dissipation factor, where they are not installed with free air circulation.
© ECN Electrical Forums