ECN Forum
Posted By: triple Jobsite Bathrooms - 02/02/03 06:30 PM
Where can I get information on OSHA regulations regarding access to bathroom facilities for workers of construction projects? Who is responsible for supplying the bathroom (portable or otherwise)? Can a convenience store 3 blocks away from a jobsite be considered a bathroom available for workers? Also, do the OSHA regulations on this issue have any bite or are they little more than suggestions that can be ignored or "loop-holed". Thanks
Posted By: BuggabooBren Re: Jobsite Bathrooms - 02/02/03 06:44 PM
This may be a starting place... http://metroped.org/Restroom/OSHA_Sanitation.htm

and this for the ladies' concerns: http://www.uml.edu/Dept/WE/COHP/Documents/handwash.htm

[This message has been edited by BuggabooBren (edited 02-02-2003).]
Posted By: iwire Re: Jobsite Bathrooms - 02/02/03 06:44 PM
I do not know if this will help you,
The OSHA reg that deals with toilets on construction sites is 1926.51(c)

But 1926.51(c) (4)
Says something about mobile crews with transportation to nearby facilities do not need to be provided with toilets.

What a mobile crew is not to clear, aren't all construction crews mobile?

Bob

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 02-02-2003).]
Posted By: ga.sparky56 Re: Jobsite Bathrooms - 02/02/03 07:05 PM
I've known some counties to require a proof of portable toilet arrangements at the time a building permit was pulled.
Posted By: harold endean Re: Jobsite Bathrooms - 02/04/03 02:18 AM
I believe technically, it should be in the plumbers contract to supply portable toilets on the job site. I remember once working many years ago in a snotty nighborhood, where the homeowner wouldn't let us use there bathroom. There were several trades, plumbers, electricians, carpenters, masons, everyone was there. There must have been at least 20-30 people there. SOmeone asked the homeowner if they could use the bathroom, but the homeowner said no. We had to drive 5-7 miles down the road to use the gas station's rest room. So one morning the lady of the house had to go out to the grocery store. When she was about to leave, she asked the GC to watch her house to make sure that no one used her bathroom. She was gone for about 1-2 hours and no one used her bathroom. They all went in her shrubs, garden, bushes, and everywhere they could find outside all around the house. Nice huh!
Posted By: sparky Re: Jobsite Bathrooms - 02/04/03 01:05 PM
and here i am, out in the wilderness, thinkin a roll & shovel are compliant?
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Jobsite Bathrooms - 02/04/03 03:28 PM
thinkin a roll & shovel are compliant?

My my...a shovel! You're a fancy one aren't you?

Some would just tell you to kick dirt over it with your boots. [Linked Image]
Posted By: sparky Re: Jobsite Bathrooms - 02/04/03 07:46 PM
LOL SvenNYC~

to be honest, the shovel is for UG work, and the 'roll' has been old supplier flyers in the past (sort of appropo) [Linked Image]
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: Jobsite Bathrooms - 02/04/03 07:58 PM
Ya never know when you'll need the roll. Store it in a zip lock bag!
Posted By: iwire Re: Jobsite Bathrooms - 02/04/03 08:05 PM
Think Good, Your Right on that, I got one in a zip lock bag in my truck with all my foul weather gear Never know when you need it!
Bob
Posted By: wocolt Re: Jobsite Bathrooms - 02/04/03 09:12 PM
Sparky
The roll and shovel are fine if you have the woods for a 1-2-3 trench but what about in a city,........
This thread is really getting Analistic..?

WOC
Posted By: pwood Re: Jobsite Bathrooms - 02/04/03 10:46 PM
rolls,mountain money,traden stock, white striping for the hershey highway etc.don't leave home without it.
Posted By: ga.sparky56 Re: Jobsite Bathrooms - 02/04/03 10:52 PM
A long time ago I worked for a sparky/plumber/septic installer.We worked for a builder who would have us,as soon as the basement slab was poured,andif there was a bath in the basement,have us set a toilet. He would then build a small temp enclosure around it. Water supply was a water hose. In the winter,we used r.v. antifreeze to prevent freezing in the winter. The first time the county ahj saw one of these he says"I should probably make you tear it down, but wait I've got to go" He never said another word about this arrangement.Btw this was before the days when porta johns were readily available in these parts.
Posted By: BuggabooBren Re: Jobsite Bathrooms - 02/05/03 07:43 AM
Though I join in the digression here with trepidation, I would much rather have the woods and roll (from a ziplock bag, thank you) than step into those port-a-johns. Those enclosed, no ventalation, trap the vapors things stink! I once flew on a c-131 with the net seats in the cargo bay and the breeze through the curtains in their enclosed potty was not really a better option.

[This message has been edited by BuggabooBren (edited 02-05-2003).]
Posted By: CRW Re: Jobsite Bathrooms - 02/06/03 03:22 AM
Port-a-johns wouldn't be so bad if the GC provided enough for the amount of men on the job. The label inside says it's good for 10 men for 1 week. How many times have you seen only 1 on a job when there are 50 or more guys?
© ECN Electrical Forums