ECN Forum
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Never Say No To Joe!! - 02/01/03 04:05 PM
Hello:

I am on the War Path and will drive the nail soon!

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 02-01-2003).]
Posted By: sparky Re: Never Say No To Joe!! - 02/01/03 04:16 PM
whatever you say Boss......
Posted By: Scotts Re: Never Say No To Joe!! - 02/01/03 04:19 PM
Joe,

We got your back.

Scott
Posted By: ga.sparky56 Re: Never Say No To Joe!! - 02/01/03 05:13 PM
You're the man Joe!
Posted By: harold endean Re: Never Say No To Joe!! - 02/01/03 05:26 PM
Hey Joe,

What gives? Who said NO? You know I am with you buddy, been there for at least ten years.

Caper
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Never Say No To Joe!! - 02/01/03 07:14 PM
First issue!

Broken down loose receptacles in hotel meeting rooms!

They use the cheapest junk available, and when replacing them (if ever) they still put back the same crap!!

Having to hold the cord to the laptop, and projector to a wall receptacle, or an extension cord to the wall, with some silly tape is not my idea of maintenance.

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 02-01-2003).]
Posted By: electure Re: Never Say No To Joe!! - 02/01/03 10:13 PM
I hope that the LA Conv. Ctr. is able to provide better ameneties for you.
(What's this got to do with the Code??)
Posted By: sparky Re: Never Say No To Joe!! - 02/01/03 10:25 PM
(What's this got to do with the Code??)

if junior don't get Joe a decent receptacle, none of us get a code class?
Posted By: electure Re: Never Say No To Joe!! - 02/01/03 11:35 PM
A recently locked off and hence "dissappeared into nowhere" thread discussed the posts that have nothing to do with any subject matter.
Was this just what they were talking about?

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 02-01-2003).]
Posted By: sparky Re: Never Say No To Joe!! - 02/02/03 01:05 AM
dunno Scott....
just agree & nod YES.
Posted By: ElectricAL Re: Never Say No To Joe!! - 02/02/03 02:27 AM
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Tiffany Sparks Re: Never Say No To Joe!! - 02/02/03 04:13 PM
Joe,

To whom does one complain about such stuff, the Hotel chain headquarters? The stuffed shirt sitting in the hotel office? The person that cleans the rooms?
In today's way of thinking (most people) are if it doesn't affect me , then h*** with it.
I think personally it is a waste of your time to complain about things like this, cause it probably won't be "fixed right" anyway!....
Tiffany
Posted By: BuggabooBren Re: Never Say No To Joe!! - 02/02/03 04:39 PM
Methinks the only way to get anyone's attention on this matter is to contact the Risk Management office of the enterprise and the insurance agency that carries their policy as well as the Fire Dept. that would respond. If you get the attention of these folks, perhaps they'd understand that the deficient service and equipment represents a "catastrophe waiting to happen" of the magnitude they certainly want to avoid. My impression is that hotel fires are absolutely awful in terms of toxic output, speed of fire growth, low recovery rate of persons due to larger populations and inacessible areas. The payout from an insurance perspective must be phenomenal, too.
Posted By: iwire Re: Never Say No To Joe!! - 02/02/03 04:54 PM
Having been involved with building a few of the big chains accommodations I think
BuggabooBren has it right it has got to look like it will cost them and they will still stall.
Quality is not job 1 here; cost and how it looks are at the top.
Posted By: harold endean Re: Never Say No To Joe!! - 02/03/03 01:30 AM
Joe,

Still bugged by those hotel rooms eh? Wasn't there a picture of you holding a 4" sq box with receptacle falling apart? [Linked Image] Anyway, I would let the hotel manager know that when you leave the hotel, you will send a message to the local fire prevention board. Maybe if they won't listen to you, then maybe a summons from the local fire prevention people might do the trick. Either that or complain that you just recieved a shock from a loose receptacle in your hotel room. Ask the manager for the phone number of the local OSHA office. See if that gets their attention.

Harold
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Never Say No To Joe!! - 02/03/03 05:38 PM
Unless Joe were an employee of said Hotel, calling OSHA would be pointless. The big O stands for "occupational".

[Linked Image]
Posted By: mamills Re: Never Say No To Joe!! - 02/03/03 05:55 PM
(on a slightly different subject)
Hi, Joe; Is ECN experiencing internet problems again? I've been having trouble connecting this morning. Hope that clown didn't climb up that pole again.

Mike (mamills)
Posted By: C-H Re: Never Say No To Joe!! - 02/03/03 07:29 PM
A simple suggestion to avoid these problems: Tough quality standards for electrical material. If it's crap, it shouldn't be sold. It's that simple. Top quality receptacles can be made, many times better than the low price crap. (Hell, I even wrote and asked one quality manufacturer to make the receptacles safe with the cover taken off. The answer was "We're working on it" Not on the market yet, despite the fact that it's easy to design)

The problem is that the only criterion for most people is price. The principle of free market just doesn't work in this case.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Never Say No To Joe!! - 02/03/03 08:17 PM
Mike,

The server did go down today for some reason for about an hour before noon EST. I haven't heard why yet.

Bill
Posted By: sparky Re: Never Say No To Joe!! - 02/03/03 08:18 PM
that's got my vote C-H
[Linked Image]
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Never Say No To Joe!! - 02/03/03 10:25 PM
Hell, I even wrote and asked one quality manufacturer to make the receptacles safe with the cover taken off

Eagle already came up with one last year. Instead of having to wrap the device with tape, you just flick down two covers (one over each set of terminal screws.

I saw it at Lowe's. Expensive at $5.23 but it seemed like a good idea. I haven't used any yet. Has anyone had any experience with it?

[img]http://images.lowes.com/product/032664/032664388606.jpg?wid=158&cvt=jpeg[/img]

It's Eagle Electric catalog #5352

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 02-03-2003).]
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: Never Say No To Joe!! - 02/04/03 03:31 AM
Instead of having to wrap the device with tape...

(I hope this is not another "which way up" question.)

Some DIY books advise people to wrap electrical tape over the screws. (Not very much help with that no-name cheap garbage that is supposedly "electrical tape.")

What do you AHJs, pros, etc. have to say (about the wrapping the tape around the screws, not the cheap garbage rant, that is) about it?
Posted By: Scotts Re: Never Say No To Joe!! - 02/04/03 07:22 PM
Virgil,

Joe could in fact report this hotel to OSHA. The cleaning crew has to plug their vacuum cleaners in somewhere. The employer (The hotel) has to provide a work place for it's employees (The cleaners) free from recognized hazards. I think OSHA would have to do an inspection if there was a report of a safety problem, no matter who makes the report.

Scott
Posted By: sparky Re: Never Say No To Joe!! - 02/04/03 07:49 PM
ThinkGood,
device tapping is somewhat inversley proportional to the number of butter knives welded to metal boxes....

[Linked Image]
Posted By: electure Re: Never Say No To Joe!! - 02/04/03 09:31 PM
Harold:
A lie is just that...a lie, then to the OSHA insp., then to the court. Not a good idea~
If Joe wantsa get shocked, he knows how to do it,I'm sure...Yeah, Lie to them. Your mistake, not mine..S

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 02-04-2003).]
Posted By: Elec_VA Re: Never Say No To Joe!! - 02/04/03 10:41 PM
When it comes to wrapping tape around receptacles and switches I tell my guys to do it for one reason. For some reason (which I can't figure out), when they have to take that tape off they respect that fact that it might be hot. All of a sudden they don't trust the hot stick that told them the MDP was not energized. Although it's much worse to even think about trusting the stick on a commercial MDP, I have seen it a ton of times when the guy takes the tape off and says "Hey! This is still hot!" Don't understand why they can't figure out that the best method is to assume every damn thing you work on is hot, it just seems to work that way. So @ 50 cents a roll (although they usually take all my damn phase tape to do it, $1.50 per), it's worth it by far, although I guess the tin knockers have to have some reason to call us sparky [Linked Image]
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: Never Say No To Joe!! - 02/05/03 03:19 PM
sparky:
This one's for you.

[Linked Image from 65.108.216.53]
© ECN Electrical Forums