ECN Forum
Posted By: sparkyinak Career Advice? - 12/15/15 10:06 AM
Hi,

I'm a bit perplexed. I'm currently in a job, that I'm no longer really happy with anymore. I feel that most of my skills sets and knowledge i worked hard to develope is going to waste and frankly, un appreciated. I'm in the final running for a job that's just Marine Electrical and pretty much all maintenance. Exact same pay, bennies, hours, etc. more brawn, less brain work. Most of my skill sets and working knowledge will no longer be needed or ever used. If offered the job, I'm not sure I'll like the job in the long run. No challenge, more or less, same routine. I'll be walking away from a 12 year investment and basically starting over in a place I'm not sure I'll fit in. Both jobs has its benefit and burdens. Nothing spectacular to jump ship for but then again nothing spectacular to stay for either. I'm kinda of rooted in where we live and the jobs are few and far between unless I want to be broke every winter. What ever I do, I want to do it for the right reason. Just not sure what to do.....
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Career Advice? - 12/15/15 04:26 PM
You're at the age where most men feel a certain restlessness. This is usually expressed by getting a new (fast) car, a new wife, or a new job.

In other words, it's YOU ... not the job. I bet if you have a doctor check your "T" (hormone) levels, you'll find they're a lot lower than they were just a year ago.It's a natural part of aging. You're bored.

My advice? Find another way to express your restless spirit. In your area? Physical hobbies like rock climbing. An extended, annual vacation somewhere half a world away can really recharge the mental batteries, give you something else to focus on.

Changing jobs costs you a lot of money. I advise against doing so unless there are significant financial rewards, or if doing so furthers a career plan.

None of us is getting younger. Now is the time to lay the groundwork for your next step. Since you'll only lose strength, agility, and "energy" as you age, the 'next step' ought to be a job that relies more on your brains and less on brawn. Inspections, project management, sales ... whatever your own skills are.

Nor - to be blunt - are benefits to be overlooked. Not only are "benefits" often worth $10/hr, the advent of "affordable care" has really screwed up the health care system- and added significant costs. This is, in effect, a very real barrier to changing jobs. (Miss ONE day of coverage and you get to pay the $$$$ penalty at tax time).
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Career Advice? - 12/15/15 09:02 PM
sparkyinak:

Back in the early 80s I decided to take the courses and the tests to obtain the Electrical Inspectors Licenses from NJ.

I invested the time and $$$ to do it (while younger), and just put the paper in my wallet. I looked to the time when I was going to put down the tools for whatever reason, and close my business.

Yes, I paid for the renewals every 3 years to have the paper in my wallet, along with the mandatory CEUs for those licenses.

I feel now that it was one of the best moves I made.

Reno is right, we are all getting older! I took an inspector position in 2002, kept the business running till 2005.

Yes, bennies are really important, and have to be considered in any move we all make.

The only one who can guide you is yourself!
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Career Advice? - 12/16/15 07:15 AM
I assume moving is not an option.
If you are swimming in the same pond, you have to eat the fish that are there. You seemed to have investigated your options so I say go with your heart. If all else is equal, take the job you think you will like the most.
Old skills are still going to be yours and you can take CEU courses if you want to keep the cards in your wallet up but if there is not a living in it for you, they are not a reason to jump.
I walked away from 30 years in the computer business and a ton of skills that I could not make a living with without doing things I didn't want to do and I never regretted it.
I tossed it all for an inspector job that I liked.
If you ever do decide to move south those cards in your wallet may get you in the door at a job you like better.
Posted By: geoff in UK Re: Career Advice? - 12/16/15 11:32 AM
I personally wouldn't swap unless for a real career opportunity, certainly not to a similar job "just for a change".
There are always downsides to any position, and you know what they are in your present role. "The devil you know .....etc".
© ECN Electrical Forums