ECN Forum
Posted By: ga.sparky56 excavator sparky? - 01/30/03 12:37 AM
My partner and I own a small excavator, when we part ways, I can get a super deal on it. It has made us some money at times. Not only for electrical,I have dug footings,gutter drains,septic systems and the like with it.I know some of you will raise eyebrows but any ideas or suggestions?
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: excavator sparky? - 01/30/03 01:02 AM
Ga. Sparky56:
I think the formula is:
Time w/no "sparky work" + excavator machine = $$$ in your pocket (or bank account)

Hey, if it makes you a living, it's gotta be good.
John
Posted By: spyder Re: excavator sparky? - 01/30/03 01:05 AM
What are you looking for suggestions on?

I have fantasized about the idea of buying a mine excavator so I can do my own trenching and not be at the mercy of someone elses schedule. In the end, the numbers have not added up for me. I am not confident that I would use it enough to get my return. I am also busy enough doing electical work without havign to try and be an excavator too.
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: excavator sparky? - 01/30/03 01:24 AM
Call before you dig! [Linked Image]
[Linked Image from consumersenergy.net]
Posted By: ga.sparky56 Re: excavator sparky? - 01/30/03 01:37 AM
TG I once dug into a service lateral that was marked as being 12' from where I was digging. The locating co. bought us an 800.00 bucket!
Posted By: electure Re: excavator sparky? - 01/30/03 03:05 AM
I spent about 3 yrs. of "downtime" running machines.
Running a hoe for any reason at all doesn't make you a turncoat. It just whets your skills...S [Linked Image]
Posted By: Trainwire Re: excavator sparky? - 01/30/03 11:01 AM
Go for it.

Just make sure that your insurance agent knows that you are doing your own digging. I always look forward to doing my own digging around here. The railroad owns it's own backhoe, so I get to root around sometimes with it. One more skill to add to the list.

What kind of excavator? skid steer, one of those little trackhoe's, one of those big trackhoe's.
TW

edited to add question

[This message has been edited by Trainwire (edited 01-30-2003).]
Posted By: sparky Re: excavator sparky? - 01/30/03 11:31 AM
ga.sparky56,
it's hard to find an excavator for small jobs here, you'd be in demand should you pursue this market (here at least)

whatever keeps the roof overhead, and bread on the table flys.

i can dig it....

~S
Posted By: ga.sparky56 Re: excavator sparky? - 01/30/03 12:32 PM
Thanks for the input guys! Train,its a takeuchi mini excavator, weighs about 8000 lbs,rubber tracks, got a blade in front,(trackhoe), and is a great handling machine. I enjoy days when I get to use it, its something different and it can generate a good cash flow if you can get work.
Posted By: Trainwire Re: excavator sparky? - 01/30/03 01:21 PM
GA56, want some free labor? I'll spend an afternoon playing with one of those [Linked Image]

seriously, there is a few places were only one of those will work. And they are not so high that you get tangled up in the primaries all of the time.

TW
Posted By: mamills Re: excavator sparky? - 01/30/03 02:45 PM
ga.sparky56;
It's call "diversifying". Given our present economy, anyone who can do that is way ahead of the game. More power to you. You're smart not to have all your eggs in one basket.

Dig on... [Linked Image]

Mike (mamills)
© ECN Electrical Forums