ECN Forum
Posted By: gfretwell EUSERC ? - 12/15/14 05:53 AM
There was a suggestion that we start this as a topic. I was just wondering how many members are affected
Posted By: Tesla Re: EUSERC ? - 12/15/14 07:25 AM
The following states have EUSERC standards Pocos:

Washington
Oregon
California
Nevada
Idaho
Arizona
Montana
Utah
Wyoming
Colorado
Alaska
Hawaii

( 30% of the national population )

EUSERC started in Southern California (Southern California Edison) (1945) and has expanded north and east over the years.

Its primary concern is for the safety of utility crews and emergency responders.

This is done by excluding most of NEMA's product line -- and designing EUSERC's own. EUSERC doesn't build anything. What has happened is that one by one the NEMA players have introduced EUSERC specific Service equipment.

As a result, I chuckle at many ECN posters. Their queries go to design issues that EUSERC has taken entirely out of our hands... starting with the size of the typical Service for a single family home. It's 200A 240V --- period. (It only goes up for McMansions... 320A 240V single phase.)

You'll have to plead with the Poco for a variance.

Similarly, EUSERC (at least my Poco's) flatly mandate 100A 240V temp power Services. (The residential crews don't set temp power -- they set permanent power from the outset.)

EUSERC style Service equipment can be found directly in every NEMA player's catalog. It can be spotted as it will be invariably a non-minimalist design.

Posted By: renosteinke Re: EUSERC ? - 12/15/14 04:24 PM
I have been out of the "EUSERC" area since 2009, so my info might be dated, but ...

In Nevada I installed plenty of smaller services. Suppliers had warehouses filled with 100,125, and 150-A "all-in-ones."

Indeed, you could install one of these smaller services without any special issues; to install a 200-A service you had to get things approved by the PoCo's engineering department.

To be fair, PoCo standards seem to be enforced about as often as I buy a winning lotto ticket.

For example, my local PoCo "requires" ringless meter bases ... though I had no issues replacing my old ringed service with a new ringed base.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: EUSERC ? - 12/15/14 06:57 PM
200a does sound silly for a small home with gas appliances.
Posted By: Tesla Re: EUSERC ? - 12/15/14 07:12 PM
I spoke to PG&E line crews -- dedicated to underground service laterals.

They informed me that (circa 2003) their management standardized on just two wire sizes. (for vanilla residential laterals.)

This policy cut their inventories -- while preventing back-orders/ wire shortages.

A given crew would be dedicated to one wire size -- and kept busy pulling 200A Service laterals all day, all week, all month.

The savings accruing to any given homeowner by downsizing the all-in-one evaporate in the big picture.

All of the tract homes and McMansions standardized on 200A or 320A. They were already getting the sweet price.

As for old work/ heavy ups... no doubt the smaller cans make perfect sense when there's a serious lack of room. PG&E is still going to bring the same conductors and charge its fee. (A flat rate in plotted subdivisions.)

But then, local conditions have virtually every habitation wired for air conditioning.

Most likely EUSERC is being blamed for what the Poco simply wants to do for its own economic reasons.

Posted By: gfretwell Re: EUSERC ? - 12/17/14 12:59 AM
Since EUSERC is dominated by the PoCos, that is a distinction without a difference.
Posted By: BigB Re: EUSERC ? - 12/18/14 01:31 AM
Not sure about EUSERC in Arizona, I did a little checking on my POCO web site but found nothing. As far as service size, we still go by what the city/county approves. Just did a 100 a few weeks ago with no issues. Arizona has 16 different power companies, some of which are co-ops and some are tribal owned. In my area I work mainly with Tucson Electric Power which is a Unisource company.
Posted By: Tesla Re: EUSERC ? - 12/18/14 04:39 AM
http://www.euserc.com/our-members?start=60

Tucson Electric Power is a member of EUSERC... for what it's worth.
Posted By: Scott35 Re: EUSERC ? - 10/22/15 12:57 AM
BUMP

Thought this was a good poll, so I bump'ed it up.

--Scott (EE)
Posted By: NORCAL Re: EUSERC ? - 10/22/15 07:39 AM
Does anyone know the reasoning / rational for the requirement to use 3" conduit as the minimum size for UG services? It is a rather big waste to use 3" on a 100A UG service.
Posted By: dougwells Re: EUSERC ? - 10/22/15 07:54 AM
future service upgrade ?
Posted By: NORCAL Re: EUSERC ? - 10/22/15 02:47 PM
Originally Posted by dougwells
future service upgrade ?

It used to be that 100A & 200A both used 2" for UG, now it's 3", unless it's done to help lazy PG&E gas crews, (they run the UG cables for residential). laugh
Posted By: gfretwell Re: EUSERC ? - 10/22/15 06:47 PM
FPL still uses 2" for UG laterals (4/0 aluminum triplex)
It does mean that the contractors generally assemble the pipe around the wire tho, 50' or so at a time. I am not if sure NESC forbids that.
I have seen them do lots of them and typically they assemble 4 or 5 sticks of RNC, shove in the wire, assemble the 90 and stub up into the meter, push the wire up and glue it. Then they roughly measure the length to the street hookup, cut the wire, assemble the pipe, shove it in and glue that up to the rest of the lateral pipe.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: EUSERC ? - 10/22/15 08:42 PM
Jersey way is like this....
UG in the BUD areas the EC installs the meter pan at the approved location along with 2-1/2" PVC with a sweep and bell end, approx. to 2' below grade. POCO (PSE&G) does the rest to the BUD xfr, and to the line side of the meter pan.

UG in an overhead area; EC trenches from meter pan to pole, installs 2-1/2" minimum PVC, pulls in conductors with enough length to reach the seconderies at the pole, along with a 10' schedule 80 at the pole. Inspections required by both the POCO and the Twp.

Meter pans are supplied by PSE&G, or EC can purchase approved pans (their choice).

© ECN Electrical Forums