ECN Forum
Posted By: HotLine1 Charge your "Tesla" - 09/09/14 02:15 AM
Opened last week in mall parking lot.
Charge your Tesla via a 'Tesla Supercharger' while shopping or dining.

[Linked Image]

No fees, just plug in!!
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Charge your "Tesla" - 09/09/14 03:12 AM
They set up some recently down the road from me too at a big shopping mall right off the interstate.
I think Elon wants them to be like gas stations, on every corner.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Charge your "Tesla" - 09/09/14 01:46 PM
The 'plan' I heard is there will be charging stations every 250 miles.

Posted By: mbhydro Re: Charge your "Tesla" - 09/09/14 03:46 PM
So who maintains them? I can see problems with vandalism and theft for any copper in the stations.
Posted By: ghost307 Re: Charge your "Tesla" - 09/09/14 05:33 PM
And they look like they will attract bicycles since they appear to be nice sturdy things to chain the bikes to.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Charge your "Tesla" - 09/09/14 07:27 PM
Mall security via patrol and CCTV.

Maintained by Tesla, via the installing contractor. All equipment except what is in the pics is behind fencing, and all enclosures are locked.

Posted By: gfretwell Re: Charge your "Tesla" - 09/09/14 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by ghost307
And they look like they will attract bicycles since they appear to be nice sturdy things to chain the bikes to.

The mall where they put ours in is near the college (FGCU) so they have plenty of sturdy bike racks close to the places college kids would be likely to go.
The other regional mall closer to me is near more old people and they have golf cart parking. That is sort of an HO gauge Tesla I guess. wink

I will be able to take my cart to the new WalMart if they ever get it built.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Charge your "Tesla" - 09/10/14 02:18 AM
Greg:
You can't charge your glof cart!!
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Charge your "Tesla" - 09/10/14 06:16 AM
I just need to find an unattended 5-15 to charge my cart ;-)

In real life the proposed WalMart is well within range of a charge, a couple of times.
I have been looking into changing the operating voltage of this to a nominal 36v (~44) and make my cart a hybrid

[Linked Image from gfretwell.com]
Posted By: LarryC Re: Charge your "Tesla" - 09/17/14 01:02 AM
Feed 120 into the 240 winding of a 240 x 120 xfmr and a half wave rectifier on the secondary.

~60 VAC half wave rectified is ~ 42 VDC.

Posted By: gfretwell Re: Charge your "Tesla" - 09/17/14 04:27 AM
The flaw in that theory is the 120 would not saturate the core of a 240v primary and your power would end up being very low. I have had that problem in the past trying to use 240v transformers on 120.
I was really thinking more along the lines of tricking up the voltage regulator in the alternator like those old JC Whitney boxes that gave you 120v from your car.
I know an alternator guy and I was going to ask him. I think you need an external VR to do it.
Posted By: LarryC Re: Charge your "Tesla" - 09/18/14 11:16 PM
I don't think you want to saturate the core of the transformer. If you did, your inductive reactance will drop to almost nothing. Now have a very heavy iron core resistor.

If the automotive alternator uses the casing as the negative return path, you might be able to 'float' the alternator with a 30 volt zener to get the output up to 42 volts.

Twenty years ago when I used to fix welding equipment, there were some cheap motorized welders that were nothing more than a B&S engine driving an alternator with rheostat controlled field excitation.

Your alternator guy might be able to find a 36 volt regulator used for old boats.
Posted By: emolatur Re: Charge your "Tesla" - 09/20/14 02:40 AM
Years ago I built one of those welders with an alternator from a Toyota.

Getting a regular alternator up to 42V shouldn't be a problem - mine gave 60V easily. Remove the internal regulator and provide field voltage from a different source. Vary your field voltage to "regulate" the output. If you have electronics background it's not a huge matter to rig up an op amp, power transistor, and a few resistors to regulate it to whatever voltage you want.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Charge your "Tesla" - 09/20/14 09:30 PM
Thanks that was what I was thinking.
I may poke around on the internet a little, no use reinventing the wheel.
© ECN Electrical Forums