ECN Forum
Posted By: HotLine1 New NJ HVAC Contractor License - 08/06/14 01:35 PM
Seems like the NJ HVAC License program is off & running.
We had the first newly licensed contractor at the permit counter Monday!!

As I understand the new 'rules' the HVAC Lic allows them to connect/reconnect CUs now, and do furnaces from scratch.

Posted By: gfretwell Re: New NJ HVAC Contractor License - 08/06/14 10:55 PM
It is been pretty standard here that the HVAC contractor can run the liquidtite and conductors to the disconnect but the disconnect had to be set by the EC
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: New NJ HVAC Contractor License - 08/07/14 12:41 AM
Yes, from an existing feeder/disconnect to the CU. They supposedly can do heating (furnaces/boilers/air handlers) from the panel. That I am looking for further clarification.

Limited to 240 volts, single phase.

Posted By: HotLine1 Re: New NJ HVAC Contractor License - 08/07/14 12:42 AM
Interesting, 163 views and only one comment.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: New NJ HVAC Contractor License - 08/07/14 02:04 AM
I think that when you open this up to a virtually unlimited length circuit that may involve several issues, that may be a stretch.
Do the HVAC contractors get additional electrical training and certification.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: New NJ HVAC Contractor License - 08/07/14 02:15 AM
Greg:
All that I have the original proposed 'Rule' (30-40 pages) and 'comments' to the 'Rule' before adoption (60-70 pages)

Frankly, I have not had time to read much, I just skimmed thru. It will be a learning experience for a while, for all the AHJs here. I have nothing written in stone yet.

Quite a few of us are amazed that the ECs seem to not have put up to big a protest, as to touch a HVAC CU required a NJ Lic EC, to pull the permit and.....do the work.

As to 'who' actually did the work??

I have not heard of any required training/certifications for electrical.

Although, the HVAC Lic probably will require some CEUs at renewal time, so there is another 'job created' for those that do CEUs for $$$.
© ECN Electrical Forums