ECN Forum
Posted By: electure Wireless Electricity - 03/19/14 03:31 AM

This should get the "Stop Smart Meter Radiation" crowd all riled up.
smile
It takes it to a whole new level.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/03/14/tech/innovation/wireless-electricity/index.html

Posted By: Tesla Re: Wireless Electricity - 03/19/14 05:01 AM
I could make a crack about this being old news to Tesla -- Nikola Tesla, that is.

I could reference the fact that getting a B field strong enough to transmit enough energy to brighten the room either costs a ton of copper/ silver -- or the frequency has to be lifted into the microwave range... and our liver is cooked.

What we have here is a big news-hole and dufus journalists who've yet to master a Web search by Google or Bing.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Wireless Electricity - 03/19/14 07:08 PM
Agree with Teslas comments. A slow news day perhaps
Posted By: electure Re: Wireless Electricity - 03/20/14 01:43 AM

I agree with both of you. It's a fantasy.

Fantasy or not, the mere mention of it is bound to make
THESE PEOPLE complain
laugh

No wonder CNN has such bad ratings!

Posted By: Tesla Re: Wireless Electricity - 03/20/14 04:07 AM
There ARE problems with smart meters: they didn't bother to embed digital security into them.

!
Posted By: harold endean Re: Wireless Electricity - 03/21/14 01:52 PM
I don't know about anyone else, but when I was in business, I had several customers who were very worried about EMF and their health. I had to relocate wires and a service for customers that were afraid. The one homeowner had me move the service because the service ran right behind the head board of a bed and I believe someone who slept in that bed died of a brain tumor or something like that.
Posted By: NORCAL Re: Wireless Electricity - 03/22/14 06:39 AM
Originally Posted by electure

I agree with both of you. It's a fantasy.

Fantasy or not, the mere mention of it is bound to make
THESE PEOPLE complain
laugh

No wonder CNN has such bad ratings!

CNN (Chicken Noodle Network) has bad ratings because they are biased, & they just suck. eek
Posted By: electure Re: Wireless Electricity - 03/22/14 05:06 PM
I made this thread purely in jest. smile

CNN also recently had a serious discussion on TV, as to whether or not the missing Malaysian Airliner had encountered a Black Hole.

Some other tinfoil hat sites I've come across:

http://www.freedomfchs.com/id34.html

http://www.stopeg.com/victims_start.htm?tid=1392374783

http://www.lessemf.com/personal.html (This one even features shielding boxer shorts.)

Posted By: JoeTestingEngr Re: Wireless Electricity - 03/23/14 05:20 PM
I agree that wireless power transmission, in the utility sense, is not practical. But with the lower power consumption and desire to eliminate connectors on portable devices, wireless battery charging will come into its own. The charging frequency will be in the 100s of kHz to more efficiently transfer power over a small air gap/core. I was reading up on a clever Linear Technology design that limits the charging current by detuning the receiver tank circuit. Those interested can go to DigiKey and download the datasheet for the LTC4120. The switching frequencies, close to 1MHz, refer to the battery charger converter. The actual power transfer tank is running at around 130kHz.
Joe
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Wireless Electricity - 03/23/14 05:40 PM
For years Greenlee has offered a device for testing HID and fluorescent bulbs. Milwaukee also offers one these days. What are they good for?

Well ....

I have a nephew, a certified geek with various degrees in physics. He was very concerned about EMF, and decided to get a gauss meter, so he could identify EMF issues in his home. Alas, he decided to do his EMF survey the day I was visiting ....

He gets out his meter, and I (quietly) got out mine. Every now and then I'd push my 'test' button, which would send his meter (across the house) off the scales. Before long, I had him critically studying a wastebasket, trying to determine how the simple plastic tub could be the source of so much EMF laugh

He was completely amazed, puzzled, and finally fascinated with my meter. The idea of using EMF to test bulbs had him shaking his head in wonder. What will they think of next?

Maybe I'll 'invent' the sundial next laugh
Posted By: sparkyinak Re: Wireless Electricity - 03/24/14 01:51 AM
Originally Posted by JoeTestingEngr
I agree that wireless power transmission, in the utility sense, is not practical...
Not to bust on your beliefs Joe, as history has taught us, there was a time where everyone thought the world was flat, man can't fly, nor could walk on the moon. When TV and telephone came of age, TV was wireless and telephones were connected by wire. Now we have cable tv and cell phones.

A few years ago, lithium batteries were practical for watches and calculators while the critics were saying they were not technically not possible for greater things. Now they are powering cars to breakneck speeds and distances while making planes much more efficient.

A "mad man" theorized power could be transmitted wirelessly, powering wingless aircrafts with an ion drive, radio, radar, the induction motor, the Tesla coil, alternating current dynamos, arc light systems, electric vehicles, concepts such as the use of X-ray machines, telegeodynamics, robotics, and early computer-logic principles. All of theses all have practical applications today though some have small applications for now.

Granted, we may never see it in our lifetime but then again we would have none of these if it was the bold pioneers like Columbus, the Wright Brothers, Edison, and Tesla saying yes when everyone else said no. We be still in the dark ages living on a flat planet just starring at the sky if it wasn't for the most daring.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Wireless Electricity - 03/24/14 03:20 AM
The problem with utility distribution over the air is how you keep that much energy going straight to the receiver and what happens to anything that gets in between.
They are already frying birds at the solar concentrator sites.
If they are having this much resistance to a couple of miliwatts of RF in a smart meter. Imagine a megawatt transmitter on every block.
Posted By: sparkyinak Re: Wireless Electricity - 03/24/14 04:23 AM
There are hurdles no doubt. Necessity is the mother of invention. Bugs in technology is an opportunity for one to make it better. Optimism people!

laugh
Posted By: JoeTestingEngr Re: Wireless Electricity - 03/24/14 04:26 AM
Well Kevin, I have Christian beliefs and certain engineering and physics beliefs. They didn't teach that I couldn't fly so I went ahead and got my pilot's license and made 176 jumps. I didn't break a single law of physics doing it. Proof that it can be done is much different than something being practical. As Maintenance Supervisor of a 121KW (2MW ERP) UHF TV transmitter, I knew I was throwing a cardioid pattern out over Cleveland that millions could receive. It was more practical than running cables to every residence. But I wasn't powering the TV sets with the uW of power that each received. The $$$ and transmitted power required to power just one randomly placed TV set, would have paid for a lot of power cords and probably cooked everyone medium well.
That would have been harder to explain than the occasional breast that made it past our tape editing.
Joe
© ECN Electrical Forums